Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

-[Soljah]- Aspects of Mapping

Soljah

Hey Everyone,

I know there aren't the greatest new mappers that have been joining Eclipse lately, so I am making a Guide that is very understandable for every newbie, step by step guides on how to Connect / Warp / Add Detail / Add NPC's. It also includes Layer by Layer steps into making your maps look good. Here we go.

**Step 1 - The Beginning**

First of all, you need to Open your Map Editor. You can do this by typing "**/mapeditor**", Or, by manually Pressing **F1** (working up a sweat yet?). Make sure your F-Lock is on also, you dont want to be asking silly questions like "Why isn't my F1 Button working?!?! Ive tried everything!" to just get a response, "Make sure your F-Lock is on  ::)". Then click on "Map Editor" button.

Your map Editor should look like this.
![](http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6910/mapeditordq4.gif)

**Step 2 - Aspects of the Map Editor**

Ok, so we have pulled up the Map Editor, now we want to know what everything does, right?

Lets start, I'll list the Menu and Submenu from left to right, top to bottom, Followed by the Definition.

-**File**-
Save - Saves your current progress that you have altered on your map. Make sure to use this whenever making significant changes. Exits the Map Editor after Saving.
Exit - Exits the Map Editor, without saving any Progress.
–-------- - Does nothing, It's simply there for space purposes.
Minimize - Minimizes the Map Editor, You are able to maximize it once it is minimized.

-**Map**-
Properties - This is where you change your Music, Warp Points, The NPC's that are on the map, The morality of the map and the Map Name.
Fill - According to the layer, and tile you have selected, This function will fill the whole map area with the desired tile (eg, Grass) in the Layer you have selected.
Eye Dropper - This Function is a great way to save time. Instead of having to go through 10 sets of tiles, each being 10000 pixels + long, You can just Click the Eye Dropper Function, Click on the tile you wish to copy, and click once more to place the tile down. This can be used for things such as Windows, whereas they are in the middle of your tilesets.

-**Display**-
Screenshot Mode - This is the usual mode for when you take Screenshots. It removes the NPC's, Attributes, Players and the Map Name from the screen. Click once again to bring the removed NPC's, Attributes, etc. back onto the screen.
NPCs - This Function is unable to do anything. This may be fixed in Versions of Eclipse to come.
Players - This Function is unable to do anything. This may be fixed in Versions of Eclipse to come.
Attribute NPCs - This Function is unable to do anything. This may be fixed in Versions of Eclipse to come.
–----------- - Does nothing, It's simply there for space purposes.
Map Grid - Places a Grid for you to work on, It makes it more simple to see where your tiles are going to go. But may get in the way when looking at detail.
Day/Night - Changes the time +12 hours, but only in the Map Editor. Night is a Dark Blue Shade.

-**Tile Sheet**-
Tile Set 0 -> Tile Set 10 - This is where you change the Tile Set that you want to use, you are able to change whenever you want and use any tiles on any map. Tile Set 10 Contains Vital Tiles for your game, such as the "Level Up" Tiles, and the Speech Bubble.

-**Select Type**-
Layers - Select your layers to be able to place tiles down. The layers consist of a Ground Layer, Mask 1 Layer, Mask 2 Layer, Fringe 1 Layer, and Fringe 2 Layer. I will explain these indepth Later.
Attributes - Select your Attributes Sub so that you can place attributes on your maps. Such as Blocks, NPC Blocks, Warps, Items, and even a Square for Healing!
Light - Once selected, it will Automatically Display Tile set 10\. Place any of the White to act as a Light source when it is Dark Ingame (Night-time). You can change the Shape according to the tiles you have.

(Can you feel the Burn? :D)

**Step 3 - Adding Starter Properties to your Blank Map**

Ok, to Begin, Always start with the Map Properties. Make sure you add warps, A name for the Map, and the Map Morality first. Dont worry about NPC's and Music until the last touch's are added.

For example, I want the Map to have these things:

Map Name: Seranya Swamp
Map Morality: Safe Zone
North Warp: Map 1
East Warp: Map 2
West Warp: Map 3
South Warp: Map 4

Here is what your Map Properties should look like.
![](http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/719/mappropertieshe1.gif)

Make Sense?? If not, Please contact me and I will redo parts that are not making the most sense.

**Step 4 - Ground Layer**

So, starting to add tiles to your Blank Map (Exciting!!). Choose your Ground layer from the Layers Select Menu.

Now that everything is set up, choose a base tile for your map. In my case, I am making a Swamp type of map. So i should stick to the Main Swamp tiles like so:

![](http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/3949/mapgroundlayerhj9.gif)

I have Filled the map with 1 of the same tile. Doesn't look good yet? Just keep reading and see how you make it look good.

Ok, You have your base Tile set out, now to make your map have more detail! But still staying on the ground layer.

Say we wanted to add a River? Or even a lake of some sort, being a Swamp map I think i may just do that. So choose a River / Water / Swamp Water tile and ready your arsenal of Talent. Base an Area where you would like to have your River or Lake. Like this:
![](http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/9743/mapgroundlayerupdateif2.gif)

Its taking shape, Learning now?

Ok, We should move onto the Mask Layer now, But we may come back to the Ground Layer incase of Editing.

**Step 5 - Mask Layer 1**

The Mask Layer is one of the most, If not the Most important ways to make your map look the best. Now carrying on from our Ground Layer, we need to make that River look like a river right? Here we go.
![](http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8048/mapmask1riverzd7.gif)

What do you think? Taking shape? Nice work.

Now, around the edge's of the river, you can see that its a different grass then our bass grass, this doesn't matter too much, Even if I'm the main critisizer of this. We can hide this with our Mask 2 Layer later. As for now, we need to finish adding detail with Mask 1.

Add Things such as Bush's, Plants, Rocks, Trees, Sign's and other things along the lines of objects that make a map look unique. Also adding some Long Grass aswell for effect.

Ive modified mine to look like this:
![](http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7746/mapmask1shrubser5.gif)

Looks to me like we are getting better! (Now you have to be workin a sweat by now…?)

Lets move on to Mask 2 :D

**Step 6 - Mask Layer 2**

Mask 2 is mainly for just a Second layer of Detail, with Mask 1 being your main layer. Mask 2 Covers up everything in Mask 1 without actually getting rid of it, just like the Mask 1 Is above the Ground Layer.

So we want to add more detail, and your probably saying "Looks like there is enough detail in here for a map", Well yes, and no. You want each of your maps to be the best maps ever! Always strive for perfection if you really want your game to be popular.

Ok, so we add more Grass (long) and some Half-Dead Grass (long) to make is look nice :D Also adding Tree Base's lets you have Fringe Layers in a swamp Area ;)

Here we go:
![](http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/2491/mapmask2oi9.gif)

(Ok, so we are nearly past the work out, i hope you ice those muscles straight away :P)

**Step 7 - Fringe Layer 1**

Ok, Fringe is used to be above Everything on the map, NPC's, Players, Mask Layers also. But Fringe Layer 1 is below Fringe Layer 2\. So in this case we use Fringe Layer 1 for any changes, so we have the ability to use Fringe Layer 2 later if we want.

The final Touch ups im going to add in is the Tree (obviously).

Like so:
![](http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8366/mapfringe1lc9.gif)

Now that Finish's the Tile Aspect of the maps, now to add Attributes. But first i Shall Explain All the attributes.

**Step 8 - Attributes**

The Attributes Menu looks like this, I will explain the Function of each Attribute Seperately.
![](http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4716/mapattributessw3.gif)

-**Attributes**
Blocked - Blocks a Players and NPC's Movement. It Blocks All Classes.
Warp - Warps a player to another map, or another tile on the same Map. Choose the Map number, and the x and y Co-ordinates to Alter the position. Then Place on the Map.
Item - You are able to Put items on the map. Choose which Item to place on the map by using the Scroll displayed.
Npc Avoid - It is a Block for NPC's, but not Players. Make Sure you put NPC Avoids over Water so that you do not have magical Floating Monsters that walk on water.
Key - Is a door which you need a key for, see Key Open.
Key Open - Stepping on this Tile acts as a Key and unlocks the door, provided you have the needed key / item.
Heal - Heals your HP Completely.
Kill - Instantly Kills your Character. You warp back to your initial Starting position when you die.
Play Sound - When you walk over this Attribute a Sound is Player according to the one you selected.
Scripted - Edit your Scripts to use this. The Scripted Attribute can include Skills, Warps, Buff Spells, It just depends on your Main.txt Functions.
Class Change - Changes your Class to one you select, make sure not to select an invalid Class, you wil get an RTE.
Notice - When you walk over this Attribute, a Message appears in your chat. You can Alter the Message as u click "notice".
Door - Acts as a door going into a house, Opens when you walk into it.
Sign - A Sign is considered a Block to Players and NPC's Also, but when you press Enter when you are standing infront of it, It brings up a message that you made.
Sprite Change - Changes your current Sprite to the Sprite you desire.
Shop - When you walk over this Attribute, it brings up the Shop menu. Change the Shops with "/Shopeditor"
Class Block - Blocks a Certain Class from passing.
Arena - The Arena Attribute makes you spawn at whatever you set that to instead of normal spawn point. Admins can also fight other Admins and Normal players if an Arena Attribute is down. You lose no experience or items with an Arena Attribute.
Bank - Brings up your Players Bank Account.
Player House - Place these on a map, When a Player walks over the Tile, he is given an option by Prompt to buy the Map (House) for a given amount of money(changeable). The Map name Changes if the Player Accepts to (Playername)'s House. Once a player owns a house, They can edit it by typing "/Houseeditor" or "/House editor".

**Step 9 - Placing the Attributes**

Attributes control how you interact with the maps you have made. Most maps only need to consist of Blocks and NPC Avoids, but others can be used according to your map type.

First of all, make sure you block Solid objects such as Tree stumps / Bases, Logs, Rocks and Rivers. NPC Block anywhere that you do not want NPC's to Walk / Fly over.

I have added NPC Avoids and Blocks here:
![](http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/299/mapattributesaddedyc1.gif)

Thats all there is to it! (Now for the Warm down Stretch's ::))

**Step 10 - Adding Music / NPC's**

Music Can be Changed in this Screen:
![](http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/719/mappropertieshe1.gif)

Just choose which music you want the map to run, and save :D

Now Adding NPC's, You can Change which NPC's are in your map by choosing from a scrolling list, Which is found here:
![](http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/3362/mapnpcshj2.gif)

You can Edit your NPC's from the NPC Editor, found on the Admin Control Panel. Save your map and you are done.

**You have made a Successful Map!! Congratulations!**

(Now that wasnt too hard, you are now 100% more Fit for Eclipse!)

• 3 years later...
  • 2 months later...