Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ways to start a storyline!

Grizzy

I'm struggling to get the concept down of the appropriate way to start a storyline for an mmorpg. Story writing as well as English and anything that really goes into the Literature world is deff not my strong point. SOooo I was looking for some pointers to what some of you might do or how you go about developing a well rounded climatic storyline?

I will round out a few methods that are at least moderately effective when it comes to writing ( varies from person to person ):

* Write the end of the story first. Once you do this, start and whatever point and keep going until you reach this goal, and then rewrite it.
* Write out the major plot points or key events that happen in the story and use this as a map to write out the rest of the story.
* Read other storylines for other ORPGs ( since you really are not making an MMORPG, seeing as you are not a Triple A company with tons of money ) and take what they did into consideration when drawing out your own.
* Instead of writing the ending, write the middle part–the climax that brings everything together, and then write around this. This method I do not particularly recommend, but it works sometimes.
* Do not think, just write. Write whatever comes to your mind–however vagrant and off-base it may seem, as this, with some major adjustment, could be just the kickstarter you need.
* Jot down multiple ideas for a story and try to write out each one. The one you write the most about may be the one you really want to do, but do not realize it yet.
* Keep everything simple and write a timeline. Draw lines off of each item ( or character ) and add details to them, and then branch off from those lines and draw more. Soon, if done properly, you will have a fully developed story.
* Try not to completely close off your story to any one idea, keep your mind open and moving quickly with the given circumstances in order to achieve YOUR desired effect as you may have an epiphany during your writing process.
* Finally, afford yourself a quiet place to deliberate over your story concept. Think about the numerous ways it could play out and exaggerate them a little, and then write down what you come up with. It may end up helping you much more than you would think.

I hope I answered your question in one of these, as your question was not particularly clear to me, but I tried as many different angles as I thought to. Hope it helped!

See this is where I am struggling. With writing a story for a game. Do most games have a different story written out beforehand? Idk the question isn't clear I know but you pretty much nailed for the most part exactly what I was asking… and for that I thank you lol.

Here is the plain demographic I have set so far:

Normal saving the princess storyline as any other game, but difference is as the quest go along it turns out the princess is actually evil.

Princess Peach.

In a world not so different from ours, in a place that would seem not so unfamiliar, there was a story waiting to be told. Every story needs a hero and every story needs someone to write it, because if a story is unwritten then it was never really a story at all was it? Who is to say what is evil and good but you. Here lies your chance to uncover and rediscover what one day will be history. Your tale begins here… but ultimately only you entail where it ends.

Last Quest: Defeat the Princess who originally you were trying to save.

Climatic Quest: While doing a quest from Person A, they teach you that the princess is actually controlling the person holding her hostage, Person B, and you have to defeat her to save the world you know and love and free the people she has enslaved.

First Quest: Gather things and ready yourself to save the princess who is held hostage by the evil person know as, Person B.

> Normal saving the princess storyline as any other game, but difference is as the quest go along it turns out the princess is actually evil.
>
> Princess Peach.
>
> In a world not so different from ours, in a place that would seem not so unfamiliar, there was a story waiting to be told. Every story needs a hero and every story needs someone to write it, because if a story is unwritten then it was never really a story at all was it? Who is to say what is evil and good but you. Here lies your chance to uncover and rediscover what one day will be history. Your tale begins here… but ultimately only you entail where it ends.
>
> Last Quest: Defeat the Princess who originally you were trying to save.
>
> Climatic Quest: While doing a quest from Person A, they teach you that the princess is actually controlling the person holding her hostage, Person B, and you have to defeat her to save the world you know and love and free the people she has enslaved.
>
> First Quest: Gather things and ready yourself to save the princess who is held hostage by the evil person know as, Person B.

This is a very good start. Why? You might ask. Because you _caught my attention_. That should be the main goal, and you are doing fairly well so far. Keep it up!

• 1 month later...
I agree that it is a very interesting storyline. Caught my attention as well. What you might want to try is to make a few minor storylines that relate to the main one. Maybe having quests that the servents of the Princess give that kind of hint off what is going ong (But don't reveal it until the end) Hard to explain. But I think your doing a great job!

**Ways to start a storyline:**

Once upon a time…

A long time ago, In a galaxy far, far away...

Our story begins...

In 1972 a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.

On Marshy Dearest 3, 1969 the United States Navy established an elite school for the top one percent of its pilots. Its purpose was to teach the lost art or aerial combat and to insure that the handful of men who graduated were the best fighter pilots in the world. They succeeded.

Today, the Navy calls it Fighter Weapons School. The flyers call it: **TOP GUN**

• 2 months later...