• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A New Engine: Atlas

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think that if you don't make the engine open-source what you're describing will happen. Open-source development allows many people to branch off development and create new variants of your software it also allows anyone to continue development even after the "main" development branch is done working on it. I think in terms of development processes you should take a look at how Unreal Engine or many other open-source games/projects function. Where you have a main development branch but other people can fork the code, submit new features and contributions, or just create a whole new thing from your engine.

@'PhenomenalDev':

> Zynato any chance you could add in a later version like a beginners guide/faq so that we can just direct people to that when they don't understand something and to generally help newbies out? (do it later on it's not top priority but it would be nice to have)

I'll be writing guides and tutorials before it's released. Some of these can be reused for other engines, where parts are similar.

You're heard about the game "Alone Balloon" for android? It's really hard game, i'm could collect only 15 scores, it's really cool :)
I'm really want to find friends, let's posting our score in this topic
You can watch the video about alone balloon game: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz2KN95HEzA](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ)

@'Zynato':

> @'GalacticGlum':
>
> > Will Atlas be open-source? I'd love to play around with it.
>
> That's still to be decided, and to what extent. Large parts of this are dependent on unannounced features (such as the entire engine being built around plugins, and several other pretty cool things). Overall, I know that making the engine accessible to external development is important, and that's one of my high-level goals. My largest concern with just flat-out open sourcing everything is abandonment: if it's open sourced and I can't continue developing it, who else will take it on for further improvement and put in the money to maintain the development infrastructure? Many, many engines here had the same fate, and I would really hate to see that happen to Atlas.
>
> @'Zetasis':
>
> > So any eta on when this might be available?
>
> As soon as I can get it complete! Don't have any other dates right now.

That flies in the face of logic and precedent. Eclipse Origins is alive because it's open source, based on open source engines (Mirage Source). Perhaps not every splinter engine survives, but they don't need to since most of them are specialized customizations. XtremeWorlds is another engine based on Mirage Source, but it's closed source, and also **very** dead.

And that's the great thing about open source, you can have an official maintainer, and community maintenance. If the official maintainer ever steps down someone else from the community will naturally step up to the role, or replace the engine with a derivative. With a closed source engine you can only have official maintainers. The only reason to have closed source is to clutch your dependent users by the balls. MonoGame is a perfect example of something started by the community, maintained by the community, and open source.

@'pandacoder':

> That flies in the face of logic and precedent. Eclipse Origins is alive because it's open source, based on open source engines (Mirage Source). Perhaps not every splinter engine survives, but they don't need to since most of them are specialized customizations. XtremeWorlds is another engine based on Mirage Source, but it's closed source, and also **very** dead.
>
> And that's the great thing about open source, you can have an official maintainer, and community maintenance. If the official maintainer ever steps down someone else from the community will naturally step up to the role, or replace the engine with a derivative. With a closed source engine you can only have official maintainers. The only reason to have closed source is to clutch your dependent users by the balls. MonoGame is a perfect example of something started by the community, maintained by the community, and open source.

Thanks for your feedback! I'll be taking all these factors into consideration :)

@'Vus':

> I really like this, but the logo not being symmetrical gives me an OCD.
> ![](http://i.imgur.com/1WKfItv.png)

Good catch, it'll be fixed :)

Updated the main post to add the following new features (based on input from others and what they need for their games):
* Crafting
* Character customization
* Player housing
* Friends/enemies list

• 1 month later...
I want suggestions for you. More mount system. mission. whose. training systems pet pet can level up. Guild. challenging arena. caro jorker minigame. upgrade skills system. upgrade equipment. changing character item. deposit market system. can change the complicated language. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
@'Sunku':

> Just curious, is lighting a planned map feature?

Yes, lighting and other map effects. You'll also be able to write custom shaders to customize those effects even further.