Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to ask a question

Matt

I tend to try and help out as many people as I can in the Questions and Answers board. Recently, its been a rather pain going through all the questions. I'd like to ask those of you who ask questions in that board to try and follow what I write here. It helps the people who answer your questions to fix your problems much faster. Since there are many different types of questions, I'll try to give as many important examples as I can think of.

Before making a topic, use the searchbar to see if there are any questions similar to the one you have. Someone may have already asked the question you have, or something remotely similar.

**Before even typing out your question, you need a topic name that can briefly sum up your question**

**[EO 2.3] RTE 9 when attacking NPCs**

This title explains what engine is being used, the error its bringing up, and when it happens.

**[Event System] Help creating quest system**

This title explains that someone needs help creating a system.

**[EA] Can't pick up items**

This example explains the issue bluntly, as well as points out the engine being used.

Even though you have a ton of information in your title, explain it in a bit more depth in your question.

> I get a Run-time error 9 when I attack an NPC. I'm using Eclipse Origins 2.0, and I've never come across this error before.

> I'm using the Event System, and I want to make my own quest system. Could someone help me get started?

> I'm using a fresh copy of Eclipse Advanced, and when I hit enter to pick up items, it doesn't work.

Now that your have your question, post all relevant information.

_**- Have you changed your engine's code recently? If so, did you follow a tutorial?**_

_**- If there's an error, which line of code is causing it, and which Sub/Function is it in?**_

**- Can you post the line and/or sub/function its in?**

**- What did you try to do to fix it / create it?**

Now, I'm aware that English isn't the first language of many people on this forum. Regardless, you can still put some effort into it!

_**Your words are automatically checked for spelling mistakes**_. If your words have red lines under them, it might be because its spelled wrong. Right click it, and you can see some words you might be trying to spell!

Now that your spelling is all fixed, please try to read your post one more time to make sure that it makes sense.

If later on you find that there are some mistakes in your post, **_you can always edit it._**

**_Make sure not to double post! You can edit any post you make._**

Lastly, if someone answers your question, **_be sure to change the tag to "Solved". You can do this by editing your first post using the full editor._**

> What about searching for if others have already had the same problem? Many people post cookie cutter problems and you can sometimes see 5 topics near each other all with the exact same problem. 1 should be enough if they are the same.

Good point! I'll put that in.

For the people asking about searching:

[How to Use the Search](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/131956-how-to-use-the-search/) ![:D](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.png)