Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Community

Officer Johnson

Hi everyone,

I was talking with zynato and just wanted to get some input from the community.

I was thinking that at this point all the new engines coming out don't even reflect eclipse. So i don't see why the site should be called the Eclipse Engine.

I think that it should be Eclipse Dev Community. Where the top supported engines can be branched off and supported by whoever. That way theirs many choices for said user.

Yes there could still be main engines, like atlas, an eclipse engine, etc. But there would be opportunities for developers to release there engines and support it. 

That's just my thoughts, cause there is a few engines in the works but none of them reflect eclipse. 

But with that being said just want to hear what everyone else thinks.

~Officer Johnson

@'Marsh':

> Changing the name from Eclipse has more implications then I think you guys realize. You are throwing away all the SEO and branding. Not saying its not worth it, just be aware.

I don't mean changing the name. Or anything just don't look at eclipse as eclipse engine. Look at is as a development community.

2-D ORPGs are niche nowadays. The reason Eclipse was so big, because many indies wanted to make 2-D MMORPGs. This niche has actually shrunk a lot due to the less demand for 2-D ORPGs than in the early 2000s.

Although, I feel that there hasn't been a true successor to Robin's EO in almost 5 years. All these branched off engine are just simply expansions of that. It will take a really experienced developer really to usher in a new era for 2-D MMORPGs. That's kind of what I have been doing on the side, preparing for Nin Online's new engine. I haven't seen something better than EO available yet, and I am working on making that with our current team.

@'Helladen':

> 2-D ORPGs are niche nowadays. The reason Eclipse was so big, because many indies wanted to make 2-D MMORPGs. This niche has actually shrunk a lot due to the less demand for 2-D ORPGs than in the early 2000s.
>
> Although, I feel that there hasn't been a true successor to Robin's EO in almost 5 years. All these branched off engine are just simply expansions of that. It will take a really experienced developer really to usher in a new era for 2-D MMORPGs. That's kind of what I have been doing on the side, preparing for Nin Online's new engine. I haven't seen something better than EO available yet, and I am working on making that with our current team.

An "really experienced developer" thats what you are? Are you serious? If anything your experienced at dropping shit. At this point doesn't matter what you say, your reputation makes no one believe that anything is actually happening or going to happen.

@'PhenomenalDev':

> Seth you talking about the repo you haven't touched in months? Not to say that I doubt there's much done but…

We're working on it. There's commits going on daily now. There's a branch that is being worked on and such. Just I am finishing up Beta for Nin Online, while two other programmers are working on it.