Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I Need Help Learning To Code!

First of all, I know this topic sounds really ignorant and stupid, because we are on a website mainly about coding and such.

But I would like to know where to learn to code, where do I start? Where did you start learning, How did you start learning?

Do you have any good websites, or topics on ToD where I could learn some basics?

I have learnt a tiny bit, but assume I know nothing, as that was a while ago, and I have probably forgotten it all.

I'd really like to learn, and I'm well aware how stupid this sounds.

But, please only post if you can really help.

Thanks!~

Yup, its very stupid. You don't specify why what you want to do nor the language you want to learn. Its a matter of sitting down, thinking, learning, practicing and showing off to the cyber girls.not

You can code games, code websites, you have to decide what to do, research about it, recommended languages for: languagehere. Stuff like that.

PS:I didnt intend to be a whisker biscuit, just trying to help you here C:

Assuming you want to learn Visual Basic 6, there are tutorials on the eclipse wikipedia. If you're looking to learn any programming language, I'd recommend starting with python. Its the language that I first started using. I used tutorials on the web to learn.

If you're into web design, look into HMTL or Javascript. Cici enjoys web design, so if she's nice, you could ask her for help in that area ![^_^](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy.png)

I'm pretty sure if you search for things with VB6 and Java Coding you'll find plenty of beginner tutorials.

I don't think we can provide a full out tutorial for you, but you should see what google has to offer.

> Yup, its very stupid. You don't specify why what you want to do nor the language you want to learn. Its a matter of sitting down, thinking, learning, practicing and showing off to the cyber girls.not
>
> You can code games, code websites, you have to decide what to do, research about it, recommended languages for: languagehere. Stuff like that.
>
> PS:I didnt intend to be a whisker biscuit, just trying to help you here C:

It's never dumb to ask for the purpose of gaining knowledge that is useful to one's future. We're a community of developers this would be an obvious place to start, Wacko, if you wanted to learn to code…you could have easily asked me.

> It's never dumb to ask for the purpose of gaining knowledge that is useful to one's future. We're a community of developers this would be an obvious place to start, Wacko, if you wanted to learn to code…you could have easily asked me.

I said I didn't intend to be a whisker biscuit, and there are a lot of things, I just asked him to be more specific since there is web design, game programming, but I get your point.

> Protip: Don't learn VB6\. You'll regret it.

VB6 Is a dead language so it's a simple no.

I would recommend either python or java, do some research about them & choose which one you would like & start learning using online tutorials.

Most importantly practice you will learn alot by trying to make something from what you learned instead of following a tutorial on how to do this something.

^ I hope this made sense

> Protip: Don't learn VB6\. You'll regret it.

You should have been there when I was learning it. Could have saved a shit load of time for me.

> I would recommend either python or java, do some research about them & choose which one you would like & start learning using online tutorials.

I haven't checked into python but isn't it hard to learn it?

Learning VB6 isn't a stupid idea if you want to do stuff here,the engine here is made with it. I think people are stupid for telling you it's stupid. In fact a few cooperations still need VB6 programmers to maintain old systems written in it. They can't change the language and update it for very specific reasons. Even VBA which is built into Microsoft office for developing Home-Brewed Office add-ons and macros is heavily VB6 based. Just be cause it isn't supported doesn't mean it's completely dead.

Anyway, on to coding in general. For the best place to learn one of the mainstream languages i would recommend going to [http://thenewboston.org/](http://thenewboston.org/) . there are simple, easy to follow, tutorials there that will get you to proper coding in no time.

Good luck and have fun.

I am going to should crazy but buy a pic micro controller programming kit or just download the tools and learn to program that in assembly If you learn that everything else is easy or at least just a matter of what words to use

C++ Javascript. Vb6 they are all the same

If you want you can try C#, I personally like it since its simple yet powerful. The only problem is portability meaning you have to find some way to port your C# and whatever else to specific platforms like mac or linux which you can use Mono. This is coming from someone who started with C++ as his first language and I am still learning both to this date because it takes a long time to learn and master it. The reason I said C# is because you get into OOP(object oriented programming) fast since C# is strict on that subject. Its also easier to manipulate the windows api since in C++ you have to remember all this weird lettering crap and it can get annoying. I think the new implementation of C++11 changes it though so idk. Go for whatever language, I would research on google and look at a couple games written in the different languages. If you want to be in a game development company working on AAA titles then you should check out C or C++ since they deal with the low level part of programming but can do high level stuff too. For some reason Java is great also in certain areas but you need to know what to do or else your performance sucks so much. Minecraft had this problem for years until they finally improved it but you still feel the slowness of java. It also has the ability to be on many platforms, the phone is its primary target.

I would recommend these:

-python :Why? because its used a lot today in the real world and its pretty simple in terms of syntax and what not.

-C# : because of the direct push into OOP and the ease of programming, things become simpler and you can do things faster then the other C languages like writing a GUI.

-C/C++ : its still the standard language for video games in the AAA realm mostly but its very powerful and efficient. If you need speed and great performance these two make it possible but not like the other languages can't do it also.

like some have mentioned as well there is the web development side of programming things. These are mostly considered mark up languages but anyways:

-Html(5) and css(3) : the main part of a website, with these two you can make a good website and its important to know because a website SHOULD run fine with only these two. Some people disable javascript.

-Javascript :scripting language which is great to use in your website to deal with the client side part, making things function and do stuff.

don't mess with php yet since you need to know how to secure the server so no one just pops in on you. All of these languages have videos on youtube so check them out. Buying a good book won't hurt either.

Sorry for the confusion,

I meant to say that I wanted to learn how to specifically code an eclipse engine, so I'm pretty sure that is VB6.

> Sorry for the confusion,
>
> I meant to say that I wanted to learn how to specifically code an eclipse engine, so I'm pretty sure that is VB6.

The thing is VB6 is a dead language. If you want to get serious about game developing, you should learn another language. Of course, if you are doing this temporarily just with Eclipse go ahead, goodluck.

If he want to use the eclipse engine then by all means lead him to the vb6 Tutorials. VB6 may not be the most up-to-date language but it's a great gateway into programming since it's simple and easy to use. If you can learn vb6 easily you will get a better grasp on the logic and basic structure that programming has regardless of the language.

This topic was made for people wanting to learn VB6:

http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/index.php?/topic/131824-vb6-tutorial-resources-you-may-need/

I also recommend finding some easy Source tutorials that will help you get used to the specific way this engine is (somewhat poorly) structured. Work from the easy source edit tutorials and move up from there. Don't just copy them down like a halfwit, read and try to understand the code from the tutorials to know how it works. That will help you eventually write your own EO edits if you so choose.