Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Pet Tutorial

Tivoilos

This is a Pet Tutorial this idea was originated by Videogamesmylife(sp)
on this topic-[http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf5/index.php/,19882.0.html](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/,19882.0.html)

So here how it goes.

Step 1) Create a Item(You can call it what ever you like) Make sure it goes as a Shield item. Make sure to give it stat bonus etc.

Step 2) Draw the item(or Pet Sprite)

Step 3) Allgin the Sprite in the PD sheet make sure it's off the Proper way to Pd the item. Make sure it looks as if it's walking etc.

Step 4) Test it!

Well thats it. Again all rights to that dude.

Hope this works good luck.

• 3 years later...
Lol - so you are basically saying you want a pet just for show? yes the PD item will take on the stats you apply to it, but it will move with you, cant be sent to an NPC…
it cant attack anything because .. well its not a pet.

The code you need to add a pet system to source is already there, just duplicate the NPC packets and add some tweaks, its not all that difficult.

i cant think of a more boring way to apply pets than a paperdoll item..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The idea of copy NPCAi wont work, thats just a silly way of doing it.  A pet should be have a completly different AI and should be processed in the same loop as the NPC as it is an NPC. My system also has an obedience. If i dont always treat him good he wont obey me has 25 different levels of obedience.

EO has Npc vs Npc so why not use that as a base? Simple you already basically have a pet. If the Npc Type is a pet then have it find the master(player index) who ever the play is targeting have the Npc attack it obiously checking the obedience algorithm.

You're being ignorant. He's trying to help, that was entirely constructive. Saying, "yeah that's better but I like mine's better," is an entirely wrong process in itself. When people try to help by expressing their opinions, you at least express thanks.

And also, if you read up, you did the same thing to the topic owner. You said that your idea was better.

@iSkweek:

> How is stating that I have failed to add a little feature calling my "idea" better. No.

@iSkweek:

> A little addition to this would be adding a new spell that changes depending on which pet you have "equipped", I have been playing around with this idea for a few days but I can't think of how to do it yet.
> Just food for thought.

@MarkMorris:

> The idea of copy NPCAi wont work, thats just a silly way of doing it.  A pet should be have a completly different AI and should be processed in the same loop as the NPC as it is an NPC. My system also has an obedience. If I dont always treat him good he wont obey me has 25 different levels of obedience.
>
> EO has Npc vs Npc so why not use that as a base? Simple you already basically have a pet. If the Npc Type is a pet then have it find the master(player index) who ever the play is targeting have the Npc attack it obiously checking the obedience algorithm.

You've clearly implied that your idea is better. Stop trying to contradict a part of my argument while completely ignoring the rest. You were suggesting the idea. He was suggesting the idea. It's the same thing. You wanted the feature added. He said the feature would be a good addition. There's a multitude of similarities in each of your posts, both directly correlating to the same basic idea: you want a feature.

Not to mention, you're all ignoring the origin/period of this post. 2007, that's before Eclipse Origins. This was before people coded everything, and most of our solutions were hotfixes.

@MarkMorris:

> The idea of copy NPCAi wont work, thats just a silly way of doing it.  A pet should be have a completly different AI and should be processed in the same loop as the NPC as it is an NPC. My system also has an obedience. If I dont always treat him good he wont obey me has 25 different levels of obedience.
>
> EO has Npc vs Npc so why not use that as a base? Simple you already basically have a pet. If the Npc Type is a pet then have it find the master(player index) who ever the play is targeting have the Npc attack it obiously checking the obedience algorithm.

That is the part that … annoyed me. People just calling ideas silly is, for lack of a better term, silly. He was ignoring the original point of this concept. To be simple.
And the origin date of this thread is irrelevant as it has nothing to do with coding really, it is just an idea on how to go about doing something. I am going to just leave it though, you are right etc etc cos this will turn into a warning for me.

@iSkweek:

> That is the part that … annoyed me. People just calling ideas silly is, for lack of a better term, silly. He was ignoring the original point of this concept. To be simple.
> And the origin date of this thread is irrelevant as it has nothing to do with coding really, it is just an idea on how to go about doing something. I am going to just leave it though, you are right etc etc cos this will turn into a warning for me.

It's laughable how anyone will automatically associate the moderation with warning. And, if you were here, the date has plenty to do with the coding.

Ok I wasn't going to post but I have one last thing to say. Well 2.

The warning part is because I know I have a very short temper. Wasn't the fact you are a moderator.

I also now know what you mean about the date blah blah. I was here then, I just wasn't registered. I was meaning that bringing up code in this topic was irrelevant as the tutorial uses no code.

You should probably delete our posts to clean up the thread or whatever, either way I'm not posting here again, feel free to om me though.

The reason I said copy the GameAi won't work is because it won't. I was being honest. Bloating your source with 2 Huge Game AIs looping the same data is fail. Adding minor checks and info to anothing Loop make more sense.

I wasnt trying to be rude, either was I expecting a debate on what I said. Thanks Soul as I was just trying to help. I thought my way would stop players from ruining there source. Most players would agree on the way I said as its ALOT better than copy the whole Game AI again.