Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

People who want to make a game.

sir zach

Just about everyday I see people joining and almost immediately looking for staff/crew. I think that if you want to make a game you should learn how to make a game on your own first. Learn the engine, how to code some stuff, and be able to make decent graphics. I made a mistake of releasing my game before I made my own graphics, so I had to keep changing the game around because I kept changing my mind on the graphics. I finally, just recently actually, got the base graphics down. I closed the release of my game until it is playable and enjoyable. So before people look for a crew to make a game, learn the engine yourself.

If you know coding then the people you recruit (later on) won't just BS their way into being staff. If you don't know coding people can easily get you excited about being on your staff… But what if you don't know coding? Then how would you know they know it as well? Just learn the basics, it's not that hard I learned in a couple days.

Another thing you should do is learn how to make decent graphics. Players get bored of the same graphics in a lot of games. People are starting to make custom graphics for their games. If you are looking for graphic designers then you have a wide variety of graphics because of all the different graphic designers. So if you learn to make some graphics on your own, then you may find it fun and won't have a variety of different graphics. By "variety" I mean different styles of shading, different paperdoll alignments, etc. I think if you don't know how to make decent graphics you don't have what it takes to make a game.

Learn how to use the engine. If you don't know how to use the engine before recruiting staff then you don't know if it meets your requirements (I'm not saying Eclipse is a bad engine). Also, you shouldn't be making a game if you don't know how to use an ENGINE.

I wrote this hoping to cut down on the games that get started then end quickly because of "mean" criticism. I have a crew of 2 people, Me and my neighbor. Since we both have time on our hands, we have the time to learn new things like using the engine, coding, and graphic design. We are learning a lot and it will most likely help our game by knowing what we are doing. Also, if you don't know how to do these three things and recruit staff, IT'S NOT YOUR GAME, it's the people, who you recruited, game because you don't know how to do the basics and they would be doing most of the work.

(I didn't know where to post this, sorry)