Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Dawn of Light] - Guild Keeps ***Updated 1/9/08***

Vortigem

Update:
So I've been working on the Keep / Castle entrance, and I've got to say… I'm am incredibly frustrated with how difficult its been to develop this part. Its not simply the drawing, or the entire hour it takes to properly lay the map down with all the wretched layering effects & attributes, its also the fact that my tiles went off center in the process and I had to go through each tile / set one by one and re-align them. Not only that but the power to my house hiccuped and I lost about an hours worth of work at one point. And now my fist is bandaged from beating my wall >_<

*sigh* so now that I've had my rant, I present to you - the prototype tileset for the guild Keep / Castle entrance.
I know a few things are off alignment, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was and I'm tired as hell. Fixing those little parts are going to have to wait until tomorrow.

![](http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4070/entrancezd8.png)

If anyone could leave a comment about how they feel it's coming a long so far, I'd appreciate it.
Now, I'm going to have a beer, cook some pasta & crash!

Thank you!

Update:
I've completed the first prototype for the Guild Keep tileset. This prototype is of towers & walls.
Please see the video, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjRx54o5nFM

Hey guys, I wanted to make a post DoL's current development, and I'm looking for ideas on perfecting this! :)

Originally I wanted to wait a while longer on developing this feature, but I've been thinking about it so much I couldn't wait any longer. I've finally begun art development of Guild Keeps (basically small castles).

In Dawn of Light, there will be unclaimed Keeps scattered about the world, each one is unique in it's own way. The idea is to bring Guild vrs Guild combat to a new level, inspired by Dark Age of Camelot.

A guild can go into this unclaimed Keep and conquer it, claiming it for themselves.
The bonuses (for the entire guild) controlling a keep will be:
-a Private Banking system
-a Private Spawn Point
-a safe resting area among a world wide PvP environment
-+3% currency gain per keep (if a guild controls three keeps, they'll have +9% currency gain total)

There will also be 3 ancient relics directly related to the game's lore, hidden deep within the most dangerous dungeons of the game (they are 1 time spawns) a guild can capture these items and return them to their keep artifact room gaining guild-wide bonuses:
Relic 1 - +5% dmg bonus (melee & spells)
Relic 2 - -5% dmg taken reduction
Relic 3 - +5% critical chance (melee & spells)

Now, no guild permanently owns any-one keep, a guild can actually commence siege upon another guild's Keep and if conquered, they can claim it for their own! With that, guilds will have to protect their keeps well. If a guild is strong enough they can capture multiple Keeps, however if they spread themselves too thin, they may not have the forces to defend each Keep from rival guilds.

Motivation for guilds to be active in PvP warfare, is to capture & keep control of the Ancient Relics (boosting morale & strengthening their forces), enhancing their development by increasing their wealth through controlling more Keeps, and broadening their control by expanding into new territories.

If a guild uses a strategy and sticks to it, they could actually be successful in controlling multiple Keeps in one section of a continent, claiming that entire territory as their own and setting their own laws for other players & guilds that enter that territory.

If a group of guilds work together, they could potentially aid each other in the captures of many Keeps, or even all the Keeps throughout the lands creating an actual empire - dividing sections of land for themselves to govern. While a situation like this might be considered unfair, I wouldn't intervene because I feel that after a certain point of time, players would grow tired of being controlled - leading to an unexpected & underestimated guild to emerge, led by some of the more skillful players looking to make a difference and standing up against the existing empire.

The thoughts of the endless scenarios leave me on the edge my my seat! I'm extremely excited to develop this feature and am putting my pixeling abilities to their limits for this initial Keep design.

Other than to share this development with the community, I also wanted to ask if anyone has ideas & suggestions on making Keep Combat more interesting, dangerous and strategic. Questions are also welcome!

Some of the features I have so far:
-Players can fire arrows off the main walls onto the players below
-Sieging guilds have to break through not only the main gates, but the Main keep doors as well.
-Towers connecting to the main walls will be accessible

What sort of things would you like to see in the game?