Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Retro GUI Layout

Dark Crusade

Hey guys,

I've started working on some interface designs for Elandor Chronicles. My first concept was a design which had everything visible to the player for quick, easy, and functional interaction. Players will be able to access their paperdoll, character information, skills, spells and hotkeys without opening new windows or clicking buttons. Hopefully this isn't viewed as cluttering. I've kept all elements of the game screen itself, so nothing will obtrude gameplay or graphics.

![](http://freemmorpgmaker.com/uploadfiles/e67b3f15db6c6a66584f077e2074e306.png)

What do people think?

The font works for the buttons, but definitely use something else for the chatbox; it's not very easy to read a long chunk of text with the current font.

I also wonder if you could compress the whole thing a bit? It seems to be taking up a lot of screen space which, ideally, you want for the actual game play.

"IGNORE TEXT AND GRAPHICS"

Every single comment discussing the font or graphics.

3 out of 6 comments mentioning the layout.

Topic summary: congratulations on reading comprehension.

Anyhow, I think it shouldn't obscure that much. I'd make the right side transparent or more compact, why not putting the hot-keys menu in a single, horizontal line and placing it at the very top of the screen or above the chat? It would feel more at home for people used to mmos - handling the hot-key bars that way is pretty standard, and that's not always bad.

Another useful UI information that you could consider is the target's health, but it might be hard stuffing that somewhere.

> "IGNORE TEXT AND GRAPHICS"
>
> Every single comment discussing the font or graphics.
>
> 3 out of 6 comments mentioning the layout.
>
> Topic summary: congratulations on reading comprehension.

Well I count 4\. 5 including your own. Quality aside, most people did mention the layout. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

> nice alignment

> Layout seems effective enough. I'm eager to see what it looks like with some aesthetic detailing..

> Layout looks nice

> I also wonder if you could compress the whole thing a bit? It seems to be taking up a lot of screen space which, ideally, you want for the actual game play.

>
>
>

Thanks for actually reading it, especially since English is your second language.

> Anyhow, I think it shouldn't obscure that much. I'd make the right side transparent or more compact, why not putting the hot-keys menu in a single, horizontal line and placing it at the very top of the screen or above the chat? It would feel more at home for people used to mmos - handling the hot-key bars that way is pretty standard, and that's not always bad.
>
> Another useful UI information that you could consider is the target's health, but it might be hard stuffing that somewhere.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll make a few revisions. I'm not sure what approach I'll take for enemy healthbars. I think I might make the targets health bar become visible above their head in-game. I might do the conventional horizontal hotkey bar. I also got to think about where party information will go, without overcluttering things.

> It looks pretty good. I personally think if the text input and output would be better if they had the same background colour.

Once again, I'm looking for feedback on the layout, not the text/buttons or graphics. This is a design mockup to get some suggestions and criticism on the layout itself.

> I also wonder if you could compress the whole thing a bit? It seems to be taking up a lot of screen space which, ideally, you want for the actual game play.

This might not be a possibility, unless I strip some elements from the interface or make them swappable. I tried a functional concept of having all the character's information and accessability open, at the expense of some clutter. It's all off the game screen, and I tried my best to keep it fitting to the theme. I may make a revision where the right side of the interface is more compact, however it would be required that players click a button or tap to swap the content/interface.

I understand the purpose of this lay out is to have everything accessible without obscuring the screen, but it can still come off as being bulky to some due to the fact you are occupying both sides. You did a good job making everything compact, however the hot key bar does seem out of place, but then if you decide to put it horizontally you may have to either reduce screen size or increase the resolution of the entire window. Another problem would be the Spell and the Skill books, which for optimal use you would ideally have everything you need within your hot keys, however I can imagine myself being frustrated with a higher number of Spells or Skills having to scroll through them. It's very convenient to have all the information or tools you need at hand, but user friendliness should also be kept in mind.

Will there be any additional interfaces? Or is this GUI fully inclusive?

I too recommend a horizontal hot bar instead what you have. It would feel far more intuitive that way. If it were up to me, I'd also have the HP/SP/MP attached to the hot bar. I like having everything together so that my eyes don't have to dart around a GUI (Look to GW2 for an example).

>
>
>

Oh no! God forbid someone offer comprehensive feedback on what's in front of them!

> It says in the GUI that the graphics and text should be ignored.

Then he can choose to ignore that feedback. As Marshy Dearest said, there's not much else to look at without them. There's absolutely no harm in additional input. Feedback on the placeholders can help to clarify some do's and don't's. The criticism is there if he wants it. If not… no harm done.

> Then he can choose to ignore that feedback. As Marshy Dearest Dearest said, there's not much else to look at without them. There's absolutely no harm in additional input. Feedback on the placeholders can help to clarify some do's and don't's. The criticism is there if he wants it. If not… no harm done.

Of course, I understand what you're saying, I was just pointing it out in case you didn't see it.

> I understand the purpose of this lay out is to have everything accessible without obscuring the screen, but it can still come off as being bulky to some due to the fact you are occupying both sides. You did a good job making everything compact, however the hot key bar does seem out of place, but then if you decide to put it horizontally you may have to either reduce screen size or increase the resolution of the entire window. Another problem would be the Spell and the Skill books, which for optimal use you would ideally have everything you need within your hot keys, however I can imagine myself being frustrated with a higher number of Spells or Skills having to scroll through them. It's very convenient to have all the information or tools you need at hand, but user friendliness should also be kept in mind.

Thanks, I'll try a revision as soon as I get the chance.

> I think the layout and style is awesome for a retro themed game. I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks, glad you feel that way!

> Will there be any additional interfaces? Or is this GUI fully inclusive?

It would almost be completely inclusive. Of course, there would be interfaces for merchants and a few other exceptions.

> Without the text and graphics what are we looking at? a basic frame?

A layout. Elements.

> Then he can choose to ignore that feedback. As Marshy Dearest Dearest said, there's not much else to look at without them. There's absolutely no harm in additional input. Feedback on the placeholders can help to clarify some do's and don't's. The criticism is there if he wants it. If not… no harm done.

No use criticising some placeholder boxes and a random background color if I'm clearly not going to use them in any final result. The last thing I wanted was people telling me to change the text, or change the buttons, or colors when it's all just temporary to assist the design prototype.

> I like it. Some people could say clustered, but that's better than having to click whenever you want to get somewhere.

Thanks!

Layout is fine and dandy.

There's a single picky little thing that irks me. On your vitals bars, you have them in the order of HP, SP (Which I assume is Skill. Having Spirit would be odd considering Mana's next.) and MP. Further along, you have your panels in the order Spells, then Skills.

Now, because I'm particularly picky like that, I would either swap the SP/MP bars to make it consistent, or the Spells/Skills panels for the same reason.

> Layout is fine and dandy.
>
> There's a single picky little thing that irks me. On your vitals bars, you have them in the order of HP, SP (Which I assume is Skill. Having Spirit would be odd considering Mana's next.) and MP. Further along, you have your panels in the order Spells, then Skills.
>
> Now, because I'm particularly picky like that, I would either swap the SP/MP bars to make it consistent, or the Spells/Skills panels for the same reason.

You really are picky. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)