Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Simple Example

Qazek

Hello!

I'm looking for a small mmorpg/online game engine (I need just something for rendering graphics from .png files and server <=> client stable connection with some examples of sending and receiving data) for VB2008.

I'm already learning all of this so the best way for me is to work on examples.

> [https://dl.dropboxus…Eclipse.Net.rar](https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26124036/Downloads/Eclipse.Net.rar)
>
> think its 2010 though, but good luck.

If that's Jeff's work it's far from complete.

> Hello!
>
> I'm looking for a small mmorpg/online game engine (I need just something for rendering graphics from .png files and server <=> client stable connection with some examples of sending and receiving data) for VB2008.
>
> I'm already learning all of this so the best way for me is to work on examples.

You should honestly upgrade from VS08 to VS10 at the very least, or go straight to VS12.

> no, its JC Denton Denton Denton Denton's work.

So uh, I actually took the liberty of downloading and going through the code. It honestly looks like all someone did was copy/paste VB6 code and modify it so it didn't error due to syntax. The worst part? The client will literally vanish into thin air upon logging in. Winsock Orcas is nothing but a synchronous wrapper for wsock32.dll; this was okay back in 2002-2003, but that is not the case today. There were also break points every. where. This project is far from being suitable enough to offer up as an "example" of anything.

> well, its the best I got ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)
>
> your welcome to provide a better one :-)
>
> besides, he asked for graphic and network examples, he can at least take a look at it.

Which I completely understand, and I'm sure he appreciates it. I just wanted to offer up a little scrutiny; I personally would not use it for anything.

As far as graphics goes it really depends on what tool set you want to use (you being anyone and no one in particular). There are tons of viable tutorials on the net regarding XNA, SharpDX, and a myriad of other tool sets to choose from. As far as networking goes I'd definitely look into Lidgren. I use it and I've only ever had one problem with it; it was fixed an hour after it was reported.

Due to the nature of a few individuals in and around this community (one of them having been permanently banned) I refuse to offer up any tutorials or source code that I write. Otherwise I would certainly be more than happy to attach a few of my own projects.