Mercy 2Dâ„¢

Mal

> Looks more like its on its way to an engine/game but w/e ;D
>
> A few things:
>
> When pushing E the sprite disappears.
>
> You need to update either the controls in this thread, or let people know that the full list of controls is in the zip.
>
> Might just be me, but I prefer it to NOT start in fullscreen.
>
> Aside from that it all looks pretty good.
>
> Also these maps are bloody huge, what the heck are you storing them in?

Tool set* It's highly dynamic, or will be.

1) I'll fix that in revision 1.02b.

2) Added a "Note: Instructs are here" message in the OP. Individuals who download the archive should take the time to review it's contents (precaution, you know?).

3) I may change it to start in windowed mode; I prefer fullscreen myself, but hitting a single keybind toggles it and the load times are incredibly fast considering how much it does in that brief second.

4) Map sizes are the size of a Vector2's upper and lower bound limits; yes, very huge. I may be putting a cap on the amount of tiles that can be placed on a single map just as a precaution until I can rewrite the logic to only loop through tiles within a certain range of the current position. This should have honestly been done from the start, but there was just so much that I wanted to add first.

Thanks for the feedback.

> Wait, so it loops through the entire map?

When you create a new map it is absolutely, infinitely empty and boundless. When you place a tile on the map that single tile is added to a generic collection. Each tile has it's own dimensions, tile sheet index, and position. The editor currently loops through only existing tiles and nothing else. As it's written right now you can safely have approximately 35,000 tiles on the map. When I'm done with my improvements you'll be able to have 35,000 drawing in the viewport (I've ran 1,440,000 tiles in the viewport at 2-3 FPS, so I'm quite certain that it can handle this right now) and over 500,000 on the map (hopefully).

I hope that answered your question.

Updates that are complete for Revision 1.02b:

* Multi-Tile Selection (CTRL+Arrow Keys) - Allows selection of multiple tiles down and to the right of the selected tile

* Complete for all layers and multi-tile sheet friendly
* Placement and Removal is the same; starting location for the selection can be identified by the cursor box; full image of the selection is also anchored to the cursor
* Fullscreen Toggle changed to F11

Revision 1.02b has been released. It would be awesome if I could get a few screenshots from you guys to add to the original post now that multi-tile selection is implemented. ![;)](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.png)

> It would be great if we could define a set size or choose the theoretically infinitely expanding map, because I do not particularly care for that feature.

You define it by not placing tiles out of the bounds you'd like to set.

> … no.

It's unfortunate that you can't create bounds using terrain tiles and blocking tiles.

Here's a few tips:

* Use TAB to view a mini-map of what you've placed; it will expand a great deal to the left and down
* ALT+C will allow you to go back to the origin (starting position) of the map

My reasoning behind not having set bounds is simple: You have the freedom to create any shape or style of map that you want, including obtuse or linear rectangles and polygons.

> And that is good, but some of us use preset boundaries in order to achieve a certain design. Having it as an optional thing would be the best of both worlds, and neither of us would have to compromise our styles.

Certain design? You can design anything you want without the borders; instead of typing in two integers you create it yourself through tiles. It's honestly no different.

**Updates to Revision 1.02c**

* ​Mini-Map Scrolling (TAB + W, A, S, D)

* ​Allows scrolling of the mini map preview in the upper right hand corner of the screen; amazing for fully previewing maps not loaded to full size
* Updates

* Optimized rendering calls to iterate through only the tiles within the viewport bounds; benchmarked with 55,959 tiles at 140 FPS on a Phenom II X6 1035T and Sapphire 6970 after optimization; 42,199 tiles at 64 FPS before optimization

I've went ahead and released 1.02c since there were a few more quality of life improvements and a significant optimization. I've added a screenshot to the original post showing off the mini map preview; do note that the mini map is not a preview of the loaded map, but the preview of another map that is significantly larger than the one loaded.

Keep up the suggestions and general feedback; I'm definitely listening.

I enabled comments on the project page found here: [http://www.mercurialhavoc.com/mercy2d%E2%84%A2-map-editor](http://www.mercurialhavoc.com/mercy2d%E2%84%A2-map-editor). Feel to use it or this topic to continue relaying any comments, suggestions, or screenshots that you may have.

Rain and Snow has been added to the editor. Why? I don't know. Just because, I guess.

[attachment=787:Mercy2D Map Editor 2013-05-01 02-48-15-67.png][attachment=788:Mercy2D Map Editor 2013-05-01 02-20-13-76.png]

> That snow effect looks great. Might as well just make a game at this point. You have put the bulk of the work in.

Thanks, man. Made it myself using MPE's editor and textures; used the included SimpleRain effect to figure out how it was all done. And yeah, I plan on it. Once I get warp tiles and animated tiles done I'm definitely going to start working on the state and GUI machines for a game in parallel of continuing to improve the editor.

I may actually have an item and NPC editor separate from the main map editor. The NPC editor will simply load an existing map to allow placement. Particle editing will be done using MPE's (Mercury Particle Engine) editor, and placement will done in the map editor. So altogether I should have no more than 5 different editors; a software suite, as it were. I don't know if I'll be packing them all into one application or keep them separate. Right now I can rip the map editor out and throw it into a library. Lot of options.

Here's another video showing off how quickly weather and particles can be added to a map, and how quickly a map can be created.

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB_uexyeIQA](http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB_uexyeIQA)

> I would suggest adding a user-friendly way of importing custom tilesets.
>
> Do you have any intention of implementing a GUI?

No, and no, because I don't have any intention of ever releasing this for public use either in object or source form. Though to answer your question about the tile sets and how it's done now all I do is add them to the projects content pipeline and add one line of code to the source and it's done.