Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Improving Pixels

Sunku

So yeah, I've been away from this community for a while, but when I got some free time I decided to come back and make something that can be judged. So I'm going to be working on my pixel art and showing you guys to get some pointers on how to make them better.

Thanks for the opinions if you give them, this post will be updated if I improve a previous one or make a new one.

>! Sword
>! [attachment=779:Pixel Sword.png]
>! An Apple
>! [attachment=780:20.png]
>! Male Sprite
>! [attachment=791:Man.jpg]

@ kuzy: lols.. kuzy u got SUCH a way with words.

tanner they at lest look what they are . but as for quility still pretty low.

try to improve detail. maybe try a different angle instead of straight on it. well good luck.

I'll give some advice.

For one the palette is fugly. Look up hue-shifting, it will help make things look better.

The shading on the sword makes it look like a brick on a stick, because the highlight is to the far left of the blade, and the shadow is at the far right. Instead try putting the shadow down the middle, with a brighter strip on the right and keep the highlight on the left but extending to the tip of the blade.

The apple isnt bad, but I would bring the highlight more towards the right and make it bigger with possibly one speck of highlight near it (has a nice effect).

Also, outlines can improve these but dont use black. Pick slightly darker colors than the shadows. The sprite in particular would benefit from an outline because it looks washed out. Changing the palette will help here too.

The sprites dimensions are off in several places. The shoulders are too wide. The elbows shouldnt be visible from the front. And the feet are spread outwards too much. Do an experiment and stand up normally. You should notice that your feet are more parallel with your line of sight if youre looking straight ahead.

Hope that helps.

My advice for everyfuckingbody around here is that just because you are working with a 2D engine does not mean you automatically must aspire to be good at pixelart. Because you will not and it is not worth it aspiring for.

Just because there are some good pixelartists here, just because the general trend of "indie games" is using pixelart, does not mean that you have to do it. It just turn you into yet another retro wannabe. If you feel that you ducking have to do graphics (it would also be worth considering if it actually is something you feel comfortable not only doing but also showing to people after you do it) how about not being a mindless drone and try something new?

This forum is filled with subpar or downright horrible "pixelart" to the point where adressing single threads in showoff is a waste of time, because they all lack the same thing - and that would be talent. So, dear reader… ducking stop. Pixelart is not for everyone, and if it's not for you, that's fine. Maybe there's something different you can do with your free time.

> I'll give some advice.
>
> For one the palette is fugly. Look up hue-shifting, it will help make things look better.
>
> The shading on the sword makes it look like a brick on a stick, because the highlight is to the far left of the blade, and the shadow is at the far right. Instead try putting the shadow down the middle, with a brighter strip on the right and keep the highlight on the left but extending to the tip of the blade.
>
> The apple isnt bad, but I would bring the highlight more towards the right and make it bigger with possibly one speck of highlight near it (has a nice effect).
>
> Also, outlines can improve these but dont use black. Pick slightly darker colors than the shadows. The sprite in particular would benefit from an outline because it looks washed out. Changing the palette will help here too.
>
> The sprites dimensions are off in several places. The shoulders are too wide. The elbows shouldnt be visible from the front. And the feet are spread outwards too much. Do an experiment and stand up normally. You should notice that your feet are more parallel with your line of sight if youre looking straight ahead.
>
> Hope that helps.

It does, mostly.

> My advice for everyfuckingbody around here is that just because you are working with a 2D engine does not mean you automatically must aspire to be good at pixelart. Because you will not and it is not worth it aspiring for.
>
> Just because there are some good pixelartists here, just because the general trend of "indie games" is using pixelart, does not mean that you have to do it. It just turn you into yet another retro wannabe. If you feel that you ducking have to do graphics (it would also be worth considering if it actually is something you feel comfortable not only doing but also showing to people after you do it) how about not being a mindless drone and try something new?
>
> This forum is filled with subpar or downright horrible "pixelart" to the point where adressing single threads in showoff is a waste of time, because they all lack the same thing - and that would be talent. So, dear reader… ducking stop. Pixelart is not for everyone, and if it's not for you, that's fine. Maybe there's something different you can do with your free time.

I'm not improving pixel art most for Eclipse, just so I can make cool stuff with it.

Sorry to join in on the parade raining, but this forum is a two-way street. You're asking us to help you build a house, yet you've not even laid down the foundation for it. Everything about your technique is wrong because you've neglected to learn the fundamentals. If you really want to pixel, then go learn the basics from tutorials. From there, we can tell you what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong.

Some people have a natural inclination and get to bypass a lot of the steps. Doesn't look like you're one of those people. That's okay, it just means you're gonna have to put in some effort before you can make _cool stuff_.

Need a starting place? [This](http://vanmall.deviantart.com/art/Basics-of-Pixel-Art-312464865?q=gallery%3Avanmall%2F10198081&qo=0) is decent. Google is your friend.

> Sorry to join in on the parade raining, but this forum is a two-way street. You're asking us to help you build a house, yet you've not even laid down the foundation for it. Everything about your technique is wrong because you've neglected to learn the fundamentals. If you really want to pixel, then go learn the basics from tutorials. From there, we can tell you what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong.
>
> Some people have a natural inclination and get to bypass a lot of the steps. Doesn't look like you're one of those people. Therefore, you're gonna have to put in some effort before you can make _cool stuff_.
>
> Need a starting place? [This](http://vanmall.deviantart.com/art/Basics-of-Pixel-Art-312464865?q=gallery%3Avanmall%2F10198081&qo=0) is decent. Google is your friend.

I think you were the most helpful.

> My advice for everyfuckingbody around here is that just because you are working with a 2D engine does not mean you automatically must aspire to be good at pixelart. Because you will not and it is not worth it aspiring for.
>
> Just because there are some good pixelartists here, just because the general trend of "indie games" is using pixelart, does not mean that you have to do it. It just turn you into yet another retro wannabe. If you feel that you ducking have to do graphics (it would also be worth considering if it actually is something you feel comfortable not only doing but also showing to people after you do it) how about not being a mindless drone and try something new?
>
> This forum is filled with subpar or downright horrible "pixelart" to the point where adressing single threads in showoff is a waste of time, because they all lack the same thing - and that would be talent. So, dear reader… ducking stop. Pixelart is not for everyone, and if it's not for you, that's fine. Maybe there's something different you can do with your free time.

This.. and if you really want to do it, start reading tutorials. They helped me tremendously. At first I didn't want to read them because I felt lazy and uninspired by watching other people's style. But all in all, if you can learn various different ways of creating texture, lighting etc you're going to be better off as an artist, then If you hadn't. It might take you years to even get subpar as Kusy put it so well. Maybe you'll never reach professional level due to lack of interest and learning from others. I do not consider myself to be expert level, for example, but I keep practicing so I can be. Having said all that; if you enjoy it and REALLY want to get good at it, you'll need to start with the basics and looking at the way expert level pixel artists do it then gradually work your way up, and most of all practice your brains out trying to imitate and mix styles until you feel like you've developed your own.

Here's a link to 30 pixel art tutorials to get you started: [http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/](http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash you.

It's just that so many people here decide to tackle pixelart, despite it being a really hard and time consuming - believe me or believe me not - digital painting and 3D graphics are easier and much more rewarding when you consider how much time you have to put in it… and let's face it, pixelart has little use - and to be recognized you need to be exceptional.

Determination is admirable, but it should find the right direction - I don't want to discourage you, but why exactly pixelart and not something else?

I agree with Kusy. The most amazing pieces of pixel art I've seen takes months to create, when you can make something else with equal satisfaction in a lot less time. As Kusy said, pixel art is not the only way to utilize eclipse as a 2D source. Some people, in a way, paint their sprites and tile sets.