Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What makes you pick one character over another?

Thorn

Specifically in fighting games.

What makes someone who's never touched a given game before pick Taokaka over Bang Shishigami? Seiger over Nakoruru? Scorpion over Raiden?

What do you look for in a character when you're skimming the roster? What makes you stop and go "Awww sheeeeit, I'm gonna learn to ruin face with this dude!"

Also, do you prefer the fighting games where everyone uses weapons (i.e. Soul Calibur / Samurai Shodown) or the ones that are hand to hand (Street Fighter)?

With the weapons, it depends on how well they are done. If its fun to see your weapon strike the enemy, then yes, I prefer them, but otherwise no.

Well, If I have played few games, I choose by what skills they have and how cool they seem to me, so on the first plays, If there are no stats being shown, I select a character by their looks, but I may try others when I have seen them in action and then I stick with the one that suits me most.

I go based on cuteness factor first. Then I'll go on coolness second.

I like the more nimble characters, and will usually try to stick with them. I rarely ever play with the larger brutes. As for weapons it really doesnt make a difference to me. They are basically the same game.

I don't play fighting games regularly, however the ones that I have done:

Dead or Alive 2 / 4: Ayane

Soul Caliber: Talim

The reason I picked Ayane, is I found her combo's and moves more memorable. I don't mind randomising stuff up, but if I ever want to have the best shot at something she is my go to girl. I guess its ease of play and memorable moves. (She is also damn quick)

Soul Caliber is an odd one. I tried a few characters out but they all seemed "awkward". Not one character seemed to have any flow. The best I found was Talim, plus she had Daggers which reminded me of the Tonfa's Sun Ce uses in Dynasty Warriors, so thats an automatic win for me!

Generally quick and nimble is my favourite pick.

I used to play as Bass in DoA2, that was hilarious, followed by Tina.

Street Fighter all the way. I like Fighting Games based on structure. Being a Gamer of Fighting games from years back starting on SF I the side scroller. I love that Street Fighter designed Characters individually. They did not use some cookie cutter balancing system like in other games of the Genre. Example If you used Dhalsim pre Yoga Fire Ball days against Ryu, you'd had better have your fireball jumping prowess perfected to a T, because inherently Dhalsim WILL lose. I liked that each character had an artform that was theirs - even Ken and Ryu, Ryus Fireballs had more substance and rigid power, Ken was more Wild and flared out more with his Dragon Punch. So with that said, in a game like Street Fighter it made it easy to pick a Character that resonated with ones personality. For me that is Ryu, pure and simple with his combat - but in Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha I moved to Darkwin Dark because of his backstory and playing as him I loved the essence of revenge in all his moves and movements. Top Notch example of how a Fighting game should be.

> I really think Dragon's Crown looks dumb, to be honest. If I wanted pictures of chilidog I'd go look up pictures of chilidog.

> LOL thats just ridiculous! The sorceress could be cute, but those boobs are too much. The amazon looks stupid.

Suddenly the world has realized that Japan is Japan and not somewhere else!

Someone who looks agile and quick is who I always gravitate to. In Injustice: Gods Among Us…I instantly went for Nightwing because he just has that agile look. In Killer Instinct my first and one of my favorite guy was Jago...he was such a badazz.

I always had a lot of fun as Glacius on Killer Instict. I liked the whole "shape-shifting" aspect he had. How cool is it to change your hands into frozen ice blades?

As for games with weapons, I can't really think of any I've played besides like Bleach. But I normally play as quite a few characters. Usually based upon their design, and how unique they are.