Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Xbox One Discussion Thread

kris_hole

The first source you linked had an update that I suppose you failed to read, "/thread". In a nutshell, the once every 24 hour connection crap was/is a "potential scenario"; it's not set in stone. As for the rest of your post:

"While Phil [Harrison] discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," a Microsoft rep said.

From your first source. I don't care about the rest of your sources because you're using them to contradict your first (aside from the backwards compatibility crap which sucks for those console guys, but not even the 360 was fully backwards compatible; that was all dependent on publisher support). Stop jumping on band wagons so quickly; give Microsoft time to confirm or deny shit.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that there are a lot of bad looking things about the xbox right now. But until they officially address them or there is definite proof and not just rumors or half assed articles i am not going to worry about it. I really hope they clear it all up at E3 because i do not want to wait until its released to find out about this stuff.

Like Bud said, most of it is not set in stone yet. As for the headsets, while that does suck, but I'm sure a form of adapter will be made.

As for the resale of games you pay a fee to the DEVELOPER of the game not to Microsoft. So your "license" that you're paying for is to make up for not having bought the game from the developers. Microsoft has stated that the full price is not the fee as it would make no sense to buy a used game for the price of a new one.

Backwards compatibility has been addressed and is understandable (according to us on eclipse)

@Marshy Dearest Oh how long do you think it will be before Jtagging and Flashing are brought to the next gen? ![:P](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.png)

Alright, I have a 360, and I've looked quite a bit into Xbox ONE. Alright, let me tell you all about why I find this system to be straying from what a Console really is.

A lot of people here argue that we're revolutionizing game consoles with the ONE and it's multimedia capabilities. I can't deny it will do a lot. But what if I told you in order to use Facebook and Youtube, even the notoriously bad Internet Explorer, you MUST have a LIVE subscription?

Who are you guys to tell me, knowing Microsoft's executives and their inconsistent data that's leading to fees for used games and offline usage, and even restrictions on borrowing games, that they won't pile on the fees for these services? I'd be A-OK with the media capabilities of the ONE if this was not apparent on the 360 already. Now let's consider what we _really, really_ bought our current consoles for. Games, and online services related to gaming. Not many people, and I'm sure the majority of people who read this will buy their gaming console for media capability because even though the PS3 took advantage of Blu-Ray before the others, the other consoles surely thrived based on their gaming capability.

So that's where I pose the question to you - You can tell me all about how this is revolutionizing the console market, but what did you really buy the 360 for? What, to play DVDs? Most likely not. Add this on top of the fees and monetary statement I've presented to you based on the current situation of the 360, how great will it be really? I look at it as the all-in-one that will get to your wallet after you've spent a good amount of money for what you wanted, but it doesn't stop there.

Now, we're missing the OTHER side of this discussion - _Kinect._

Let's think about the Kinect. Motion tracker, great capability. Now, here is where I get a bit more assuming. Based on what I've said above, I think it really comes down to not how the developers use it, but how Microsoft decides how the Kinect uses itself. Supposedly there will be a lot of personalization behind it and some theories I've heard is the ability to recognize people out of a crowd and call upon their input names. I'm personally not all too thrilled about my Kinect trying to give me commands or talk to me about things that will surely be taken advantage of for ad space while I'm playing a game. It's not the new JARVIS, it's a voice that's going to surely do something you won't want it to assuming it includes some sort of self-control.

To conclude, I find that the capability of the Xbox will be overshadowed by Microsoft's money-making opportunity behind it. I can't say I wouldn't have expected it, but the new Generation will bring new methods.

> To conclude, I find that the capability of the Xbox will be overshadowed by Microsoft's money-making opportunity behind it. I can't say I wouldn't have expected it, but the new Generation will bring new methods.

Not to add to your disillusionment, but these people are in the industry to make money; it's that simple. They make money by engineering and producing products for a very specific market segment (or at least use to). Now they're simply diversifying their products to enable them to enter new markets and no one with any business sense is going to even flinch at any micro-transactions they tack onto their service except those who can't afford it; those who can't afford it or who are anal retentive with their money, for all intents and purposes, are the minority.

> I agree that there are a lot of bad looking things about the xbox right now. But until they officially address them or there is definite proof and not just rumors or half assed articles i am not going to worry about it. I really hope they clear it all up at E3 because i do not want to wait until its released to find out about this stuff.

This 100%

Also the guy who posted a hooooge post with lots of bad sources… Most of that is a crock of shit atm. Nothing has been confirmed and its all speculation. I expect half of that stuff WILL come true. However not all of it.

Prime example:

Kinect. Microsoft have come out and said, you can DISABLE it from listening and watching if you want. My plan, if I'm worried about it, is to cover the lense with a DVD box and tape up the microphone hole. Job done.

From the rumors going around the Xbox One does seem to have some flaws, but we don't know most of the stuff about the PS4 as well so we can't really compare them.

In addition people will always feel more comfortable with one console or another even if there is no specific reason.

Honestly E3 can't come sooner, I'm waiting for so many things. They've got the Xbox and Sony presentations, then they is an Alienware one which I find quite interesting. I've seen reports that Valve is not going to be at E3 this year which I hope is not true but there is a picture of an email from them. And SEGA is also releasing something called the Spectrum. Out of all of these though, I'm looking forward to the Xbox presentation because they get to truly focus on games now, and at what better time then E3, where all of the games get to be tested?

Hopefully they can solidify most of these rumors to be true or not and if not tell us how it will be.

Well Xbox One WILL have self-publishing:

[http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/1favgx/microsoft_says_were_going_to_have_an_independent/](http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/1favgx/microsoft_says_were_going_to_have_an_independent/)

One flaw done, several to go.

I lol'd so hard at Kris's First post.

When I saw the design I LEGITIMATELY thought that it was two different styles for the Console. I did not realize until I saw it run that it was one console with half one style half another. I was like, "WTF LOL TROLLFACE.GIF"

Thanks,

Maverick

> Well Xbox One WILL have self-publishing:
>
> [http://www.reddit.co…an_independent/](http://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/1favgx/microsoft_says_were_going_to_have_an_independent/)
>
> One flaw done, several to go.

YA BOI SUCK ON THAT. I'm sorry. That was inappropriate. I r excite. Too bad I'd be using Unity Pro, though.

> Not to add to your disillusionment, but these people are in the industry to make money; it's that simple. They make money by engineering and producing products for a very specific market segment (or at least use to). Now they're simply diversifying their products to enable them to enter new markets and no one with any business sense is going to even flinch at any micro-transactions they tack onto their service except those who can't afford it; those who can't afford it or who are anal retentive with their money, for all intents and purposes, are the minority.

You say that, and quite frankly I agree that opening the media capability will obviously bring money in, money Microsoft may need to power itself. But it's not about whether or not they tack-on microtransactions, it's that your media device will be locked in various aspects unless you're willing to pay fee after fee. You tell me about how the minority are people who are not willing to spend all their money into the device with little worry about the general cost of microtransactions, but why do you think GameStop Execs and the general public had a backlash at MS for their limitations on Used games beforehand when we were just getting information about the ONE?

And if you really, REALLY want to tap into the majority market, you need to make it cost-effective for people. You know why the Wii dominated the market? Affordability. You know one of the biggest arguments in favor of the PS3? The free online service. Maybe _you_ find the majority to be people who do not mind spending amounts of money beyond their investment, but the Free-To-Play model is rising in popularity and the PC market getting known for it's great game deals.

Ultimately, I feel that this can't be helped because Microtransactions are gaining force with the new internet marketplace of today, but I find it wrong that the ONE is going to not only provide you with microtransactions for software, but to lock and restrict things in your hardware, not the Online service.

> but why do you think GameStop Execs and the general public had a backlash at MS for their limitations on Used games beforehand when we were just getting information about the ONE?
>
> Ultimately, I feel that this can't be helped because Microtransactions are gaining force with the new internet marketplace of today, but I find it wrong that the ONE is going to not only provide you with microtransactions for software, but to lock and restrict things in your hardware, not the Online service.

I've read all of this mumbo jumbo regarding restrictions for this, restrictions for that; is there any valid examples you wish to share aside from a sweeping generalization, and share it along with a confirmation from Microsoft itself? Microsoft debunked the "no reselling" crap that was going around. Microsoft has also debunked the rumor that the indie game market was completely dead for the console; what was started with the 360 will live on. C'mon. I know people are excited 'n all about the new consoles that are coming out in the 3rd quarter of this year, but give these companies a little breathing room and let them clarify things themselves before jumping on band wagons. Negative publicity from critics isn't the most plausible or correct source to use.

I suppose sometimes you can't help the turbo nerds that live in unlit basements that get hard-on's every time an alarmist attempts to shit down a fortune 500 company's back.

lol. Your closing statement consisted of so much win I had to like it! ![:lol:](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.png)

It seems the general crux of the raging/problems, centers around details that haven't been confirmed/denied. Can't we just wait for more info?

With regards to "locked down hardware", the 2 clarifications I want to make are:

1) The Xbox One WILL be region locked. No biggy for the majority of people. The PS3 was region locked I believe? How many import titles do you really buy?

2) The whole "hardware lock" for DRM style stuff. It's been confirmed by microsoft themselves that, the tools exist, but it will be publisher dependant. Therefore its the Publishers who have the power.

> lol. Your closing statement consisted of so much win I had to like it! ![:lol:](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.png)

I nearly did, but it should've been "… company's back." ![:(](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.png)

> I nearly did, but it should've been "… company's back." ![:(](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/community/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.png)

It was very late when I wrote that. I'll edit it just for you.

Confirmed:

-24 hour DRM. (Console checks in once every 24 hours online)
-1 hour DRM if not using home console.
-Mandatory Kinect. 
-No renting, no loaning. No private sales (unless selling to someone who has been on your friends list for 30 days)
-Internet connection required.
-Trade-ins are up to the publisher and only at "participating" retailers.
+You can give a game to a friend only if they have been on your friends list for 30 days, and then only ONCE.
+Up to 10 family members can play your games from any console at any time? You & one other at a time.

Let's not forget that the mandatory Kinect is _always on_. The microphone, at the very least, is always listening. That's an especially comforting thought when you consider the all the recent PRISM NSA stories and how Microsoft was one of the first corporate partners to sign up it. In other words… the XBOX ONE _could_ double as a government surveillance device for your home! _/puts on tinfoil hat_

> Xbox one is always on eh. They must have put a ton of money into designing a console that cannot be unplugged.

Are you suggesting that's excusable? A console shouldn't force you to unplug it just to turn a mandatory mic and camera off.

> Let's not forget that the mandatory Kinect is _always on_. The microphone, at the very least, is always listening. That's an especially comforting thought when you consider the all the recent PRISM NSA stories and how Microsoft was one of the first corporate partners to sign up it. In other words… the XBOX ONE _could_ double as a government surveillance device for your home! _/puts on tinfoil hat_

Privacy is a thing of the past. The government will soon monitor everything. It is no longer a cospiracy theory. ;)

I'm going with Sony this round. Anyone that forces DRM on paying customers (no more rented games) is seriously just shooting themselves in the foot. I grew up renting games and would not be a gamer if it were not for that. They seem to forget that niche of people - not everyone is rich and able to buy new games all the time, and if you cut profits from people who buy games and rent them out then you're going to lose profits in the end.

I love Halo, but Microsoft is just such a bad company. They ruin everything they touch. I only see it a matter of time before they destroy the Halo universe.

Update to my last statement: Microsoft has confirmed the Kinect can be turned off… when not using the Xbox. An "unplug-everything" button, so to speak. Kinect is still required be on in order for you to play a game or watch a movie.

After 5 years of loyal Xbox service, I too will be making the switch. Sony slaughtered Microsoft at the E3\. GG MS

> Privacy is a thing of the past. The government will soon monitor everything. It is no longer a cospiracy theory. ;)

"A conspiracy theory is an explanatory proposition that accuses a person, group or organization of having caused or covered up an event or phenomenon of great social, political, or economic impact."

Nope. Still a conspiracy theory.

Man do I love that Twitch feature. It's something I've asked for in a sports game I play regularly, being able to spectate championship matches in leagues etc. I literally always go online anytime I use my 360\. Didn't they say the trading issue was up to publishers? either way I buy games to play them and none of these issues really affect me from the way I play now. PS4 did freaking slaughter the XBone though, jabbing at all the issues many are having with it and then hitting the nail in the coffin with that price. I'll eventually pick that up too after tax returns.

RYSE day one purchase, Titanfall/Destiny looks fun and that indie game with the tiny character Below (hopefully a launch title).