Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Because the issue was brought up.

iSnow

> Many debates have started over the scripting system in EO 4.0\. The main/only reason it hasn't been done or been put onto the 'todo' list is purely because scripting allows users who are using the eclipses server hosting facilities and gaining access to the server host via the scripts. Its quite easy to set up and might even result in destroying the server if the person who wrote it had any talent at all, destroying everyone's data who has paid for the server hosting. I'm sure a safe method will spring to mind, if you find one please do post it. I would personally love for scripting to be in EO 4.0.

This was brought up my Kibbelz as to why there is not a scripting system because it would destroy the current unified server. How to fix this?

Notice in the features for EO4, you find this;

Server List that allows you to connect to any EO 4 based game with the same client.

Don't do this. People make their own games and pour their time and effort into it so it is THEIR game. People should be able to do whatever it is they can to be able to single out their title from every other because that is how you create something original and great. If you want to make a GOOD Eclipse engine, I highly recommend to the developers to consider removing this functionality and implementing a scripting system that is user-by-user based. 

This is my 100% honest opinion and I will accept whatever challenges to my logic the new developers or those opposing my opinion bring forth to me.

When people distribute their games you can set the default server in the config ini file so the server list or whatever it becomes is never shown and we are adding a few more options to the loading screens and such so that you can change the images and the words Eclipse Origins would never be visible.

As for the scripting system, it is something I personally really want to add and I just got done talking to Amish about it. A lot of people in the past have actually chosen to have us host their games for them to remove the burdens of keeping a computer on, port forwarding, etc which is harder for some than others. Since we are allowing the hosting of games we cannot let user made scripts harm our server. We are looking for software or other ways to sandbox servers in which we host and once the logistics are figured out scripting will be allowed for those who wish to pursue that route.

-JC

Sandboxie is a decent freeware tool to do this, there is a paid version but it's not necessarily required to check out its functionality. And when someone messes up their sandbox you can simply throw it away with two clicks of the mouse.

Bear in mind that I have never tested it in a server environment though. Forgot to mention that. I just use it to run random nonsense my students make just in case their supplied source isn't what they actually compiled.

Just a quick question.

Will you offer support in the future if the next version of windows do not support eclipse origins?