Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Space MMO GUI - my first go

Anarky77

@†βΛѪ:

> wow cool, if that is all 100% custom made

However if he ripped the graphics from some other source, and did not make them, then shame him. Graphics look like Star Sonata to me, and I will have absolutely no respect for you if you did rip these graphics.

Did you make the graphics?

The only thing i didnt make by hand is the space back ground…but thats pure lazyness.. im going to do a better one in 3DSMax myself later... theres too much other crap to worry about. Here is all the layout in pieces, you see i just used a snakeskin texture for the borders and a bevelled corner.  - the buttons i do by hand with alpha channels and opacity with about 4 layers, not that hard really guys.. The fat outside border is a low res texture, which is temporary, and is also a PD texture. The corner pieces are easy to make... get some dingbats, i think that one was borders 2 (www.dingbatdepot.com is a good one)  and apply a cutout effect and increase the depth.

![](http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm241/Geoffro69/raw_gfx.jpg)

This is not my first attempt at graphics, it is my first GUI for ECLIPSE. I have made many others for Elysium, VBGORE etc…

im sort of flattered ppl think i dont do this, maybe a tutorial to show ppl how easy this stuff is to do.. specially the nice glossy HP and MP bars etc..

![](http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm241/Geoffro69/raw_gfx2.jpg)

@Robin:

> Tbh, I don't think anyone with a 77 at the end of his name can make graphics like that.

lol, the fact that Anarky was already taken, and the fact that 1977 would be the year I was born would mean Ive been playing with graphics programs .. starting from Hercules Data line programming… CGA, EGA,VGA etc... up until these great machines we have today. So your comment is sort of silly.

You would think after 25 years or so of playing with things youd sort of get better at it... yeah? Stop hating the world Robin. I thought someone who made a 'farming' game would be more jolly.

The only thing i rip off ever is textures like you see, the scales, wood etc... but i use them for textures for objects, hence the name Public Domain Textures.

If you would visit my site also, where i post my sigs for forums ive been doing for some time, youll see the style in that GUI is in line with those....

http://devoswg.freeforums.org/sig-and-logo-gallery-t471.html

If the response wasnt so hostile I would offer to do gui's for anyone that asked. I think it's also pretty sad people jump to the conclusion automatically that something is stolen or copied... maybe I just didnt post anything until i thought it was good enough

( edited source included to match the layout.)

ummm…. ok... not sure if thats a good thing or bad thing....

Anyway... i did everything like i said but some textures... and really with a digital camera its not hard to make your own textures... so if you wanted to be REALLY anal, you could go take photos of a snake on macro etc... and get the scale texture etc....

But really... RL gets hectic and i have little time to scratch my ass, let alone make custom textures - so i rely on the loverly world of public domain textures.

But i guess people saying its too good for me to have done rather than saying it sucks dogs balls is good - shame its one of the more crappy things ive done - but if i post anything else, lol, i probably didnt do that either.

@Kreator:

> Personally I think that if you did make all the graphics you claimed to make, then you should be ashamed for what you didn't make. It ruins your entire GUI.

Considering the amount of things people have ripped off to make their games using this engine.. including RGMXP tilesets and sprites that have been raped… hell even this engine has been raped... konfuze... mirage... xtreme worlds, playerworlds, elysium diamond... eclipse....

I think to have used a PD background temporarily is not going to lose me much sleep.

@Robin:

> Stop double posting.
>
> The edit button is there for a reason.
>
> I never said the GUI was good, I said I doubted you made it. You've proven that you made it, well done.
>
> You'll have a bloody hard time getting in-game graphics that actually suit that GUI though.

Sorry for double post, im a lazy bastard.

not so hard to get in game graphics to match, but the EE engine is not equipped for decent animation - 3D render work alot better on VBGores GRH system where you are not limited by sprite size. I use Maya , Fragmotion and 3dSmax die rigging - but whats the point on a 32x32 or 32x64 sprite? if you dont AA the things they are too pixely, and if you do, they are too blurry even at 1xAA.

eg. herre is my naked body paperdol sprite, but i have to cut 90 percent of the anim out for EE unless i can figure out how to adapt the source to accommodate such lengthy anims.
![](http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm241/Geoffro69/walk_south_ES.png)
![](http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm241/Geoffro69/a1.gif)

Im not sure about the sprites yet - most of them are going to be space vehicles .
This is a side view.. havent figured out the best sizing for the small ships…

![](http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm241/Geoffro69/mat2a.jpg)

Niceeeeeeeeee. Yea, too bad EE doesn't have proper animation yet( I heard they will, don't quote me on that). I like that model and ship, it looks really nice and slick. Btw, please stay on topic… Nobody has been rating or discussing his GUI unless you count the authenticity of it.

@Anarky77:

> Sorry for double post, im a lazy bastard.
>
> not so hard to get in game graphics to match, but the EE engine is not equipped for decent animation - 3D render work alot better on VBGores GRH system where you are not limited by sprite size. I use Maya , Fragmotion and 3dSmax die rigging - but whats the point on a 32x32 or 32x64 sprite? if you dont AA the things they are too pixely, and if you do, they are too blurry even at 1xAA.
>
> eg. herre is my naked body paperdol sprite, but i have to cut 90 percent of the anim out for EE unless i can figure out how to adapt the source to accommodate such lengthy anims.
> ![](http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm241/Geoffro69/walk_south_ES.png)
> ![](http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm241/Geoffro69/a1.gif)
>
> Im not sure about the sprites yet - most of them are going to be space vehicles .
> This is a side view.. havent figured out the best sizing for the small ships…
>
> ![](http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm241/Geoffro69/mat2a.jpg)

I dont mind if people  rate it or not,  for my personal rating, i would give it about a 1/10 because it took me all of 10 minutes to do and required 0 effort.  I may not be a member of these boards long, but thats because I prefer to just use it for a resource and not get involved in the community. After 20 odd years of a thousand forums.. sorta gets old…

As for my language Kreator,  lol im too old to care about that too. As long as my daughters dont grow up sounding like me, ill be happy.

Ass - i Have one.. you have one... not so disturbing.
Anal - depends what floats your boat.
Sucks dogs balls - a common Aussie term we use daily, even in business situations...

@Anarky77:

> Ass - i Have one.. you have one… not so disturbing.
> Anal - depends what floats your boat.
> Sucks dogs balls - a common Aussie term we use daily, even in business situations...

Yes I have an ass… keep away please.
Ass definately doesnt float my boat. I don't even have a boat. =(
And I'm Aussie, and never heard that term... ever.

lol if you haven't heard of it you're either under 20 yrs old, or not Aussie (but judging by your sig, im guessing your family nationality is not Australian, so you can be forgiven there i suppose.)

As for your ass, I have no intention of going anywhere near it, well like i said last night not until you have a shower.

I'm struggling to comprehend why you'd use a simple, retro-styled engine for an ambitious project.

As for why I doubted you, half the people who post things here seem to have ripped them from somewhere, so don't take it personally.

To be honest, if you don't know VB6 already (which I gathered, as you can't change the sprite size or animation frames) you'd be a lot better off learning a more advanced language, such as Java, and finding a programmer who can use the 3D models directly rather than cheap sprite copies.

TBH I'm converting the lot to VB.NET, but having issues along the way… so Im still using old VB6.  There is alot of nice effects in vbgore that could be used in EE if only it were ported to DX8.. as far as i know im possibly the 1000th person doing this, so it will be interesting to see what hybrids of the mirage source come from this, or konfuze whatever you want to call it. The packet size is not acceptable currently for myself to use 30 frames of animation at 128x128 or larger for each direction (32 directions btw, not 4) so yes, I ca do it... but making it smooth is proving difficult.

That sprite sheet is a naked body headless paperdoll... obviously much larger than the 32x32 or 32x64 when all placed together with my paperdoll system, which will also support pets (when i can stop them from getting stuck on invisible tiles. Currently they follow you but are getting stuck halfway through a map .. anyway.. *sigh*)

I wouldn't mind learning java myself, it certainly would do things more efficiently than eclipse, and yes you could load 3d meshes up directly... and have all the flashy effects.... for a space game yeah probably would be the better go. My reason for going back to mirage engine was its simplicity. Learning a new language now would be tricky for me.. i've been programming basic and Pascal  since 1984 so VB is just comfortable - and im really not efficient in maths enough to call myself a decent ASM or C++ programmer.  I just wish i had more time.

Im amazed at your attitudes towards people in this dying community, you would think you would be more supportive.

And yes, it is dying... and not just yours.. it's the same with all the other mirage based forums. Dont take it as an offensive comment, and dont deny yourself the truth.. there might be posts here daily, but they are by the same 10 people.

I'm really sorry, but I have to intervene :

1) If you created the model, rigged it, skinned it and animated it from scratch in less than 10 minutes then you're the world's biggest cheat. I use CAD tools like 3DS for a living and the top guys at work can't do that even under 3 hours. Hell even DISNEY can't do it so fast.

@Anarky77:

> TBH I'm converting the lot to VB.NET, but having issues along the way… so Im still using old VB6.  There is alot of nice effects in vbgore that could be used in EE if only it were ported to DX8.. as far as i know im possibly the 1000th person doing this, so it will be interesting to see what hybrids of the mirage source come from this, or konfuze whatever you want to call it. The packet size is not acceptable currently for myself to use 30 frames of animation at 128x128 or larger for each direction (32 directions btw, not 4) so yes, I ca do it... but making it smooth is proving difficult.
>
> That sprite sheet is a naked body headless paperdoll... obviously much larger than the 32x32 or 32x64 when all placed together with my paperdoll system, which will also support pets (when i can stop them from getting stuck on invisible tiles. Currently they follow you but are getting stuck halfway through a map .. anyway.. *sigh*)
>
> I wouldn't mind learning java myself, it certainly would do things more efficiently than eclipse, and yes you could load 3d meshes up directly... and have all the flashy effects.... for a space game yeah probably would be the better go. My reason for going back to mirage engine was its simplicity. Learning a new language now would be tricky for me.. i've been programming basic and Pascal  since 1984 so VB is just comfortable - and im really not efficient in maths enough to call myself a decent ASM or C++ programmer.  I just wish i had more time.
>
> Im amazed at your attitudes towards people in this dying community, you would think you would be more supportive.
>
> And yes, it is dying... and not just yours.. it's the same with all the other mirage based forums. Dont take it as an offensive comment, and dont deny yourself the truth.. there might be posts here daily, but they are by the same 10 people.

If your using the auto convertor provided by VB.net, youll end up with 3000 + errors. Stop adevrtising vbgore.

@Anarky77:

> That sprite sheet is a naked body headless paperdoll… obviously much larger than the 32x32 or 32x64 when all placed together with my paperdoll system, which will also support pets (when i can stop them from getting stuck on invisible tiles. Currently they follow you but are getting stuck halfway through a map .. anyway.. *sigh*)

Any decent 3D modeller would know what happens when you cut a part of a model made by extrusions and bevels (since you did it in 10 minutes with non -even polygons )
Here's an example :
![](http://www.planetfortress.com/tf2models/tuto/ms3d_sc/hidden.jpg)

Notice in the wireframe that if you delete one vertice, the ENTIRE model will be pulled in, or techinically as we say "Collapse".

So yeah…

Since when did I say im making meshes out of bevels?? sorry dude im not sure what train you are on… your talking about removing parts from 3d models and having them collapse... Dont know what software your using, but you would have to delete the entire front vertice row for that to happen in any software ive seen. Better yet,, spend 400 bucks and get zbrush, and dont worry about deleting vertices - it rebuilds the mesh when you do.

I think your confusing the talk of GUI vs the sprites.

My meshes are made most likely using Zbrush where they take .. yeah some time to get perfected.. but a basic mesh takes you very little time to make - we're talking basic geometric shapes. 

I cant use my models in  a realtime environment, as the poly count is around 250,000 per model, as they are designed to be pre-rendered. Im not even using modelling programs close to the one you showed.

To make a model in say, Fragmo, skin and rig it would take hours yes... but thats not what im doing and from the screenshots and posts I would have gathered you knew i was using Maya and 3Dsmax, which contain Character Studio, which of course do the rigging and IK for you. TBH humans are easy, im finding rigging a horse with a mount bone for a 3dMMO hard... so yes i agree there, if your making models for realtime use, they take ages.

Spend a little $$ and you wont be forced to use rubbish like milkshape and the like.

But again you read wrong, as it was the GUI that took me 10 minutes and no effort, I never said that about the sprites if you scroll down and read it again.

The sprites took about 3-4 days to get right  -and thats no clothing done or weapons etc. and a simple skin texture. Even then the walking isnt right and still needs work.

Why is everyone here so scared of talking about VBGore? do they not know its pretty much the same as EE but with better features?

@Anarky77:

> TBH I'm converting the lot to VB.NET, but having issues along the way… so Im still using old VB6.  There is alot of nice effects in vbgore that could be used in EE if only it were ported to DX8.. as far as i know im possibly the 1000th person doing this, so it will be interesting to see what hybrids of the mirage source come from this, or konfuze whatever you want to call it. The packet size is not acceptable currently for myself to use 30 frames of animation at 128x128 or larger for each direction (32 directions btw, not 4) so yes, I ca do it... but making it smooth is proving difficult.
>
> That sprite sheet is a naked body headless paperdoll... obviously much larger than the 32x32 or 32x64 when all placed together with my paperdoll system, which will also support pets (when i can stop them from getting stuck on invisible tiles. Currently they follow you but are getting stuck halfway through a map .. anyway.. *sigh*)
>
> I wouldn't mind learning java myself, it certainly would do things more efficiently than eclipse, and yes you could load 3d meshes up directly... and have all the flashy effects.... for a space game yeah probably would be the better go. My reason for going back to mirage engine was its simplicity. Learning a new language now would be tricky for me.. i've been programming basic and Pascal  since 1984 so VB is just comfortable - and im really not efficient in maths enough to call myself a decent ASM or C++ programmer.  I just wish i had more time.
>
> Im amazed at your attitudes towards people in this dying community, you would think you would be more supportive.
>
> And yes, it is dying... and not just yours.. it's the same with all the other mirage based forums. Dont take it as an offensive comment, and dont deny yourself the truth.. there might be posts here daily, but they are by the same 10 people.

Hahahaha xD

Hey you may not like me, but at least I gave you a reason to log on and post something.

Dont shoot me for mentioning it, but even the VBGore forums are seriously lacking in activity. The sad fact is technology moves so fast, no matter what engine or language you learn or make your game in… by the time its even close to testing.. theres something better out you want to try.

P.S just had a go with the Java SDK6, its not so bad but its very C++ based. If I was any good at C, i wouldnt be using VB.

And no im not using an auto-port feature V-Rage, Im doing it manually, rewriting it function by function, form by form. I attempted an autoport but that just didnt work at all as you correctly pointed out. I dont want to change alot with the engine, just a few things.. especially the way players and NPC's move. It feels very turn based atm.

Instead of sifting through someone elses code, my hope is that by rebuilding it I may possibly find it easier to do the add ons I wish, ranged NPCs, speed variables that work.. etc..