Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Infrastructure

Zeno

I don't use EVB as such, but I like to see it succeed. With all the flack going on lately, I think it's important to say this too: I will not agree with all of your decisions, but I fully support this project, and am happy that it is still in development.

Even though this is a genre-based engine, I think the core is the most important part. It has a lot of room for flexibility by improving some of the base functions. 

* Constant-based toggles to switch between tiles and pixels. This could be done with a constant each for the tile reference size (the data's tiles, used to get the number of tiles per tile per dimension). You could also add another constant for the size of each tile to allow for tiles other than 32x32\. You can use the tile reference size as a divisor of the tile size to get the x,y dimensions per tile (e.g: tile and reference, x by y; 32 and 4, 8x8; 16 and 8, 2x2; 43 and 1, 43x43) 

You will need to move max_mapx and max_mapy to modGlobals and have them calculated on init, using tilesize / tilereference * one of two new constants for the max tiles horizontal and vertical.

If allowing for smaller tiles in data, you may want to consider adding grouped blocks of tile attributes by way of reference to one tile's attributes. You could use something like TILE_TYPE_REFERENCE with a developer never seeing any technical mumbo jumbo, only a click & drag interface with the first tile storing the desired tile type and all other tiles being a reference type storing the map,x,y of that first tile. 

* Any and all constants placed in modConstants. This allows for far greater flexibility by changing one number instead of several. As you probably know, constants are replaced with their value on compiling, so are an excellent way to make an engine user-friendly and dynamic without sacrificing any efficiency.

* Vector mathematics to allow for smoother and more dynamic movement calculations. This is a simple one and probably wouldn't get used much, but imagine how easy it would be to, for example, then implement arrows that when blocked bounce off at a random angle, and then fade out on a timer.

* A secondary backbuffer for triple buffering could be good for better CPU usage (imo Eclipse is a CPU monster for what it does), but it also comes with a slough of display and latency issues.

> A secondary backbuffer for triple buffering could be good for better CPU usage (imo Eclipse is a CPU monster for what it does), but it also comes with a slough of display and latency issues.

I don't see how triple buffering would be a benefit.

> I don't see how triple buffering would be a benefit.

Me either: [http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/dbuffer.html](http://www.futuretech.blinkenlights.nl/dbuffer.html)

Double buffering already has its own bottlenecks; I really don't see how a third could improve this at all.

In my experience Triple buffering actual does have a nice effect on faster computers, and it doesn't create any sort of problems for slower ones. I've never experienced any bottlenecks with double buffering eiyhrt, considering some graphics libraries do it by default, you experience it all the time.

> In my experience Triple buffering actual does have a nice effect on faster computers, and it doesn't create any sort of problems for slower ones. I've never experienced any bottlenecks with double buffering eiyhrt, considering some graphics libraries do it by default, you experience it all the time.

Yeah, after I read up a bit on multiple buffering I was able to correct my view.