Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Patcher?

DrNova

@Robin:

> Stop being lazy and program your own updater.
>
> Hell, you don't even need to program it yourself.
>
> [http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=45859&lngWId=1](http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=45859&lngWId=1)

Maybe some people aren't fucking programmers, you ever think of that?

I'd like to see you make full sets of custom graphics, and animations for a game. Eclipse is about people with different skills and interests, stop thinking everyone is here to become a programmer and stop being fascistic about the subject.

If people aren't in to be programmers, you shouldn't expect them to work on every little programming problem - especially when there are pre-compiled freeware applications that may help them for some of their needs.

@Anna:

> Maybe some people aren't Ducking programmers, you ever think of that?
>
> I'd like to see you make full sets of custom graphics, and animations for a game. Eclipse is about people with different skills and interests, stop thinking everyone is here to become a programmer and stop being fascistic about the subject.
>
> If people aren't in to be programmers, you shouldn't expect them to work on every little programming problem - especially when there are pre-compiled freeware applications that may help them for some of their needs.

If I needed animations and graphics for my game, I wouldn't hesitate to make them myself. Hell, I do a lot of my own graphics as it is.

I'm not even expecting people to fix problems themselves. To work with Eclipse successfully, you need limited programming + scripting. Once you learn the basic syntax needed, then that's the bare minimum. If you're going to so much trouble to patch your game, then I don't see why people can't download a small piece of open-source VB6 code (Yes, the same language they're working exclusively with to make their game :O) to make the job 100x easier.

A patch is great, for commercial software. For an online game, however, people will get sick of the old 'Your game is outdated, please visit website.com to download a small patch'.

Users will expect things to be automated. That's the kind of culture we live in. I think you're making a huge deal out of nothing, however. People not willing to turn their hand to a bit of programming ever now and then are very silly.

I agree with Anna.
You and your coding rhetoric are a bit annoying.
You can code, and well, and have done it for a long time, and push that as the only option to everyone and every problem.

Not everyone can code, nor can everyone be bothered to learn how.
Those that do, power to them.  Those that cant, there are a multitude of other options available, that while perhaps more time consuming, can get the job done.

All my projects have required creative work arounds to various problems I couldnt solve because I couldnt code, and 99% of them I found ways to get it done.

Learning coding is very helpful, and yes can make things easier, IF you know how to code well.
Nor does everyone have the ability to do their own GFX, thats something even less likley then learning coding.

@Robin:

Stop being arrogant and looking down on everyone who cant code.
Seriously, shut up already.

Your never being helpful when you post that crap. Yes, if people could code it could solve these problems for that, but telling someone "go code it" is useless advice, if they knew how to code, obviously they would.

@Anna:

> Maybe some people aren't Ducking programmers, you ever think of that?
>
> I'd like to see you make full sets of custom graphics, and animations for a game. Eclipse is about people with different skills and interests, stop thinking everyone is here to become a programmer and stop being fascistic about the subject.

No offense Anna, but whats your problem? Your the one taking so much offense and getting so uptight about it. And you can't warn Robin for it either, because you my friend are the one who appears to be starting a flamewar, by attempting to criticize him in regard of whether or not he can do graphics and such as well. (which he can, far better then you)

@DrNova:

> Stop being arrogant and looking down on everyone who cant code.
> Seriously, shut up already.

Wow, chill out DrNova. I thought someone such as yourself wouldn't be a hypocrite in regard of their position on this forum. If your so easily offended by something Robin says, then you seriously have problems, and definately shouldn't be moderator.

I know I'm up against two nasty moderators here, and likely to get muted or whatever, BUT I STAND TALL! Lol

Plus I've done nothing wrong.

*sigh*
First of all, Kreator was muted for being pretty nasty so someone in an earlier thread.
KreatorII is an attempt to bypass that mute, and is now muted as well.
Thats where his attitude is coming from.

As for Robin. I dont get where I'm being "hypocritical".
But those posts arent helping anyone.  Of course they would learn it if it was so simple.  But not everyone gets concepts like that, some people just will never be coders, and alot of people who try, it still would take them a long time to learn coding.

Best course of action is learning sadscript first, as its easier, and still gives some of the basic principles.  You can be succesfull with sadscript alone, but it also gives a knowledge base if their motivation pushes them to learn coding.

However, Robin telling everyone who asks for something to learn to code is unreasonable and doesnt help new people at all.  He can code, and has for a while, good for him.
But that doesnt mean he should be pushing it upon everyone else when they obviously are asking more basic things, much of which doesnt need to be coded.

If they want to learn VB, maybe they will in time.
But telling them first step to learn to code is unreasonable.

Bleh, back on topic.

This was supposed to be about this patcher before Robins useless post.
I'm going to try it and give an update, see if it can direct the updated files to where they need to go and such.

If so, it could be invaluable for GFX/GUI updating, which is a comman dev update.
Source updates, it could possibly be useful, in just replacing the .exe file

I'll check it out

How was it a useless post? If you want to make your users download small files every time you update something, that's fine. If you're doing that instead of downloading a _free open-source updater_ which does everything _automatically_ then I can only see it as being lazy.

When developing things like this, you need to make it as easy for the player as possible. If you're not going to put the effort in to make their gaming experience as seamless as possible, I don't see why they'd bother doing it instead.

Of course, bitching about me being a programming in all your posts is obviously a decent stress-relief. Carry on if you want, I don't see how it'd effect me as this is the **internet**, not **real life**.

Take a chill-pill.

Either listen to my advice, or don't. No need to have a go at me about it.

Hell, next time you post a question just add 'Anyone can answer this except Robin, as I don't value his opinion as a game-developer or a programmer because I want to do everything the hard way'. xD

Robin?

How does:
@Don't:

>
> Hell, you don't even need to program it yourself.
>
> [http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=45859&lngWId=1](http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=45859&lngWId=1)

answer this:
@DrNova:

> As Eclipse is combined into a exe file, could you use this for .ini and/or gfx patches?
> (I assume any source edits this could not help with)
>
> [http://www.clickteam.com/eng/patchmaker.php](http://www.clickteam.com/eng/patchmaker.php)

You're seriously going to some other subject than the general one. Next to this things, try formulating your "advice" in another way, because I can really understand why Anna and DrNova react like this.

Kreator,
DrNova and Anna are way better moderators than I ever was.

Regards,
  Asagndarg.

@Asagndarg:

> Kreator,
> DrNova and Anna are way better moderators than I ever was.

I never had any run-ins with you, but I'll take your word for it.

And Robin clearly wasn't answering the question, but instead giving his own suggestions regarding what DrNova and others should do when deciding what updater to use for their game.

@Kreator:

> I never had any run-ins with you, but I'll take your word for it.
>
> And Robin clearly wasn't answering the question, but instead giving his own suggestions regarding what DrNova and others should do when deciding what updater to use for their game.

I was speaking generally not about your relations with the (ex-)moderators.

Regards,
  Asagndarg.

Yes I'm looking for a patcher, that click team one is the same thing as the instal creator, it still makes you upload it very single time there's a new thing, but I guess it saves time? Sort of, not really…
    Anyways I'd love to see a new patcher dg ^.^.