Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about custom gui and gfx

zombie0hour

Definately.
I have no coding, but alot of scripting.  I didnt custom anything, just found parts everywhere.
SJ is going to be epic XD (shameless self promotion)

Anyways, its harder for the fantasy genre as far as GFX, limited to, usually, RMXP graphics as the only real source unless you REALLY spend some time looking, maked for projects that look cookie cutter.
If you learn to map and make your own style however, you can offset the gfx impact.

HOWEVER.  GFX is only a small percent of gameplay.  Its the amount of content that will make or break a game.  If you stick to a basic hack and slash, your project wont go far.  But if you add all sorts of features, creative gameplay mechanisms, and things of the sort, and make a game thats actually entertaining for more then 5 min, you can succeed.
Many projects I see dont have anything besides the basic kill alot and level road to follow.
Quests, side quests, hidden secrets, skills, the little bits here and there that give players variety and a multitude of things to do-places to explore-things to find out is what will make your project healthy

The only time pre-made graphics will limit your game is where they simply don't cover what you want to do.

The most obvious is the RMXP sprites in Eclipse. They don't have an attack frame, so every time you press 'ctrl' you just look like you're stepping on the poor sod you're supposed to be attacking.

As for scripting instead of programming, you'll only be limiting yourself by not giving both a go. Scripting can only go as far as the developers allow it, and although you can do a lot with it, there'll always be something you can only do through programming,