Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Record for people playing a finished Eclipse Game.

magic8ball

please learn to spell, especially if your posting a thread…

for one, i dont think eclipse can support 100\. maybe 50\.
200-400? are you crazy?

is that first sentance even proper grammar, doesnt rub me right

i think ambard is hoping to get a high number, with his server (ownage)
once he starts advertising

Kinda sux that eclipse can't hold so many people online at a time. Once you hit that limit, you pretty much have to find another engine, or do major source edits.

Now, I don't know if anybody has ever reached that limit, but still, its not that great that eclipse only allows 50-100 people online at a time.

@magic8ball:

> Wait so all this hard work people put in and they only get 15 or 20 people to play there game. It dosent seem rightl

Just because others only got 15 or 20 players doesn't mean you will. If you put in the hard work to make a great game, and your engine can support it the players, you could get thousands of players.

Eclipse's engine can only handle so many connections before raping itself backwards.

Your question is very hard to answer though. Personally I had 30 people on my game at once, on release day. A few days later, no one logged on and eventually I just stopped paying for my VPS.

People stopped playing because I didn't have the time to make an expanding world.

I have about 100 people on my MSN who would still play it, about 30-40 of them actually willing to put in a few hours each day to keep the community and economy afloat.

30 actually lagged the game a bit, simply because my packets were huge. Sending tons of strings is a bad idea, which is what Eclipse does (Unless Mellowz changed it without telling me :3).

Hell, Eclipse still uses the crazy idea of pumping the maps full of random strings, which Sean thought was a good idea 4 years ago xD

I might actually get around to converting Eclipse to Byte Arrays, if I ever get a few weeks where I'm just gagging for a headache and carpal tunnel.

The most I have had at one time on my game was 48\. There was very little lagg and everyone seemed to be doing ok. It was very exciting. I have still not done any advertising other than my post at orpg.com  [http://www.onrpg.com/boards/78342.html](http://www.onrpg.com/boards/78342.html). Normally when I come home from work there are 5 to 8 players on and on the weekend right now we see 10 to 20 steady. We see about 5 to 8 new accounts made a day and I would say that we get around 25 to 40 unique players on in a 24 hour period. We have successfully ported the client over to Linux as we have dedicated Linux users who want to play (thanks to denorc for this) it runs super smoth on Linux to and the next slow step will probably be a Linux server. Once we have a Linux server the numbers will be very high.

@Ambard:

> The most I have had at one time on my game was 48\. There was very little lagg and everyone seemed to be doing ok. It was very exciting. I have still not done any advertising other than my post at orpg.com  [http://www.onrpg.com/boards/78342.html](http://www.onrpg.com/boards/78342.html). Normally when I come home from work there are 5 to 8 players on and on the weekend right now we see 10 to 20 steady. We see about 5 to 8 new accounts made a day and I would say that we get around 25 to 40 unique players on in a 24 hour period. We have successfully ported the client over to Linux as we have dedicated Linux users who want to play (thanks to denorc for this) it runs super smoth on Linux to and the next slow step will probably be a Linux server. Once we have a Linux server the numbers will be very high.

You must have a ruddy decent internet connection to not be effected by the bloated packets xD

Gratz on such a large fan-base.

yeah, i stumbled on an Eclipse hater who said some of the things we i see mentioned in here that cause the engine to run slower.

Imay be wrong since im still earning how it all works, but it seems so much is done server side when it could be done in the client and the server just updated.