Find results that contain...
Find results in...

100% Custom tiles for Vikings

zade_o

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll probably use the hut style for the longhouse, the walls with straw hanging over. Maybe I'll do both. We'll see.

I still feel like something's missing in the towns though, I don't know what it is but it just seems like there's something missing. Any suggestions? (other than NPCs, those will come later)

Longhouses are usually important and substantial lodges though.

Well if it's based on a Viking settlement, the huts are out of place. They are good with your source images, but if you look at your source images, what is the type of terrain they are at? It isn't thick green forests, it's windswept plains, cold coastal prairie. And the setting with those huts in a forest does give a different vibe.

As far as what's missing, a well or something might work, and a large outdoor firepit as well. Perhaps some piles of wood too, or an animal carcass ready to butcher, or an animal skin on a rack.

Right, well, when you put it like that… Maybe the huts would go better on the sands of a beach? And then the  A-Frame houses go in forests? Works for me.  I do have a bonfire already just not in that shot. I think I did plan on doing piles of wood and just forgot about that. the animal carcass is a good idea.  Thanks for that idea.

I do have tiles that extend the A-frame house but that's only 1 more section, I can definitely change that though.

Also, although it looks like the rounded huts are all wood, that style usually isn't. You can see the lodgepoles, but often the slats between the lodgepoles were simply brush and branches, or somethings even thatch and reeds, with sod bricks. Depended on the resources availible.

If your settlement is near a large river or coast, have a beached longship or something, or maybe a simple dry-dock with a boat under construction would work too.

@Anna:

> The longhouse is alright, but the walls are way low, especially for your sprites. And the side wing of the longhouse doesn't fit, from that angle the roof would be much larger.

the walls wouldnt be that low considering, half the house is underground lol, but i aggree the wing jus doesnt seem to match the rest…

@Warconn:

> the walls wouldnt be that low considering, half the house is underground lol, but i aggree the wing jus doesnt seem to match the rest…

Depends on the construction. For the environment displayed in the game, lowered structures probably wouldn't be all that common since there is plenty of structural wood around. Structures that are built semi-subterannean are usually built like that because their primary construction material is sod brick, cut from the ground making a shallow hole the building occupies.

Ok well, I'll try to work on the wing. Low priority right now cus I'm trying to do as much tile making/mapping done as possible before 3.0

As for the houses, I kinda like the new feel it has with updated tiles.

![](http://i43.tinypic.com/2mgr14m.jpg)
UPDATES-
-Fences aren't perfectly matched in height
-Fences/Houses have redone brightness/contrast/and saturation.
-Grass tiles have redone contrast
-Banners(Flags) On giant standing spears
-Animated Pig Roast

Lol I was hoping nobody would say anything about the boat cus I had already tried to add more depth and i couldn't get it right, but i went back and tried again and I think i did pretty good.

You're always a good critic lol.

As for the towers, i thought i added good depth to them but I'll redo them cus I guess they could use more room.

I'll post the update in a few.