Find results in...

100% Custom tiles for Vikings

zade_o

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

![](http://s5.tinypic.com/2dteee.jpg)

most iffy thing i've made…  I was trying to simulate hills instead of cliffs cus you know how in most forests/plains you'll have hills but maybe not big ol' cliffs....

What'dya think on this one? Should I keep it in my arsenal just incase or just scrap it? I think it looks pretty decent for stacking up trees in the thicker parts of forests

I'd switch the shading, so the front and left are light, back and right "sides" are shaded. But also, with the perspective of your graphics (and most rmxp style graphics), the "back", "up" or "north" slopes should be smaller. It doesn't look too bad when you have trees there, but without them it would make the little hills seem distorted with the perspective of everything else in the game.

Oh… hmm from the boat it seemed to me the light was from the left. You know your light source better than I do so go with what you feel is better. But my explaination of the "north" slope is odd and it's a hard thing to fix.

This is present with any type of graphic.... the problem is trying to differentiate height and depth at the same time on a 2d grid. It's not easy. With RMXP tiles there are cliffs, but with Eclipse you have problems if you want both "levels" accessible; an issue to deal with for anyone who is an avid mapper and tileset artist.

![](http://s5.tinypic.com/2eggr9l.jpg)

Well here's 2 updates-
1\. The boat with an extensive touch up from Anna Comnena which I'm incredibly grateful for, and then a few extra touch ups by me on her touch up.
2\. I redid the hill and tried to make the top and left a little thinner without making it … not there. lol.

Does that look better Anna?

![](http://i44.tinypic.com/29vj89d.jpg)

Alright
a) I did what Niko said and made all the edges darker isntead of half light half dark. It seems pretty good. What do you think?
b) with these cliffs, disregard the fact that it doesn't tile seemlessly, what do you think? Is it a good style to keep? if so I'll so i'll work on that line that shows up when tiled.

Note, you should disregard the missing corner pieces as well, I haven't done these yet.

I think the only reason it would look out of place is because yall are used to seeing these games with smaller sprites, the sprite is hardly bigger than 64x32 and all my tiles are bigger than RMXP resources (except houses, but Viking buildings don't have the same quality of a modern house anyways) sooo I think yall are just not used to bigger sprites and therefore it looks different.