Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Game Creation and Design

demon xxx x

Game Creation and Design

Index

* 1.0 Getting Started(0GS1)
* 1.1 Choosing your Language(0GS2)
* 1.2 Deciding what graphic route you're choosing(0GS3)
* 1.3 Deciding what genre the game will be(0GS4)
* 1.4 Tips(0GS5)

* 2.0 Starting Basic development(SBD1)
* 2.1 Important Requirements(SBD2)
* 2.2 Official Basic Development(SBD3)
* 2.3 Releasing the Work in Progress topic
* 2.4 Searching for your team

* 3.0 Copyrighting and Thanks to

1.0 Getting Started - 0GS1

Well, you want to make an "MMORPG"? Reading this guide may help you, lots.  I will include information for specific requirements needed to officially release your "MMORPG."

1.1 Choosing your Language - 0GS2

If you're sitting there wondering "Language.. English?" or something similar, you're wrong.  By Language I mean a Programming Language.  Examples are Visual Basic 6.0, VB.NET, C++, C#, etc.

I'll give you a basic breakdown on those 4 languages.

Visual Basic 6.0

The most common language in ORPG development.  It's quite easy to learn, and Eclipse is programmed with Visual Basic 6.0.  I would recommend this if you are fairly new to Game Development, and such.  Use Eclipse, learn the basics of Visual Basic 6.0, and then learn the advanced stuff, such as DirectX7 or 8 programming with Visual Basic 6.0.  You may feel kind of restless while learning, because you might be worried about remembering, and such.  Just keep at the learning, buy books, and read tutorials, and try it yourself.  Learning enough to program your own game, from scratch, could take at least 1 to 2 years, depending on how fast you learn.  It can be quite a hassle to learn everything you need to know.

Last, this program is not free, but you may get it from a torrent site, just stating this is illegal, but, I've never seen someone get caught, so don't worry much.

Visual Basic.NET
At last, those unwilling to pay for Visual Basic 6.0, here's your salvation! Get the Express Version of this program, it's free and easy to get the hang of.  All you may have trouble with is learning the programming.  There aren't many advanced tutorials on Visual Basic.NET, so you may have to buy some books, or e-books.  I recommend this if you are not willing to pay for Visual Basic 6.0, and don't want to do anything illegal.  Learning this and Visual Basic 6.0 are quite different, so, choose one, or both, whichever you would like.

Remember, this is free.

C++
Well.. you've two choices C-based or Visual Basic programming.. I recommend C++, the syntax is easy to learn, not much complications, until you get to actual programming.  I recommend reading tutorials and viewing code sources, observing how the code is used.  Keep in mind that this is one of the most complicated to use programming languages, but, has much more available than Visual Basic 6.0/.NET.  I myself am learning this so when I get to programming my game, I'll be ready.

C#
Honestly, I know not much about this programming language.  I know the C++ and C# syntax are some similar, but, both worth learning.  This section can be redone by one of the more advanced C# programmers of the community.

Links
http://www.3dbuzz.com/

Add more! Give more links.

1.2 Choosing your Graphical Route - 0GS3

For starters, go for 2D.  2D Is much easier to create, and program for, start with it, and learn the basics of anatomy, and study others' creations to improve your own skill.  Do not steal graphics!!!!!!

Keep working on your graphics, you can become a great artist one day.

If by any chance you are already learning 3D design, and want to create a game in 3D, have some type of team to help along the way, this is a horrendous task.

Now, continuing with 3D I recommend AutoDesk Maya. It's a great 3D Animation, Rendering, and creation program.  I myself am using this.  _  You can use 3DBuzz.com for tutorials on using Maya, and is quite good to learn from.

3D Help and Sources

**Tutorials**
3dbuzz.com - Good Maya & 3DSMax Tutorials.
**Programs**
AutoDesk Maya
AutoDesk 3DSMax
ZBrush
[Know more? Give some names, and links]

1.3 Choosing what Genre your game will be (0GS4)

The most common are RPG based games. Some others are like FPS based games, etc. You get the point.  But, you just have to remember that if you choose any RPG type, you will have to get good details within your game's background and more, remember to keep it in a fantasy type view, and not like modern, but, killing demons and monsters in a city that looks like you're in the year 1622, when it's supposed to be 3019.  If you go to create an FPS type game, you can still have Monsters and such, example: Doom. It's quite interesting, and many liked it.  If you go for Modern, then use realistic details and such, if you want to add some suspense, you can add like creatures and demons, to make it more of a fantasy based Modern game.

1.4 Tips (0GS5)

This Section will be for you to add to, just post giving some tips, and I'll add them up here, and your Display Name, giving credit to you.

2.0 Starting Basic Development - SBD1

Well, now you're finally ready, for your first bit of development.  By now, you may have one or more people on your team, if not, be ready for some work, that will take time, to impress others.

2.1 Important Requirements - SBD2

Now, before you decide to go making a topic that's unorganized, and a few words, telling people about your project, just stop, and think: "Am I ready to let people know? Is the project ready to be open to the public to read about?"

Likely, it's not, so just first write up some ideas, unorganized if just on a piece of paper, and you write better like that.  Once you're ready, open up Notepad, and start by using this template:

```
[center][size][/size]
[hr][/hr][size][/size]
[hr][/hr] [hr][/hr][size]Features[/size]
[hr][/hr][list]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[/list][hr][/hr][size]Screenshots[/size]
[hr][/hr][size]Dev Team[/size]
[hr][/hr][list]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[/list]
[hr][/hr][size]Update Log[/size][/center]
[hr][/hr]

```
You can use that once you're ready for posting about your game, in the WIP board.

Before you post, make sure you have some sort of small team, and make sure you give credit to the maker of anything you use.  RMXP usage is ILLEGAL and should be against the rules to use in Eclipse games, since it is illegal, outside of RMXP.

[Add more?]

To be continued…

Just letting you know, I will add more to this, I'm tired, and haven't really slept in the past 2 days.  I'll get back to you on this though, promise, Eclipse! ^^

Please post and help add to expand the Index, and add helpful resources and more!!!

[Update Log]
2-17-09
Updated and Extended.  Added sections, and completed more, still To Be Continued though.

2-17-09
Updated and Extended, again.  Added more sections, still a TBC. Help add more. ^^

[Extras]
[Add more! [Reply]](http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php?action=post;topic=38345.0;num_replies=2)_

@DezireSoftware:

> The most common language in ORPG development.

This was a good guide to read, and definitely can't wait for more. But VB6 is not the most common language in RPG development. C++ and C# are actually the most common. VB6 made games just aren't stable enough to support a massive amount of players as games made in C++ and C#. For C#, I was told by someone, that it is commonly used for developing console games, for xbox, playstation, etc..

@Jarvis:

> This was a good guide to read, and definitely can't wait for more. But VB6 is not the most common language in RPG development. C++ and C# are actually the most common. VB6 made games just aren't stable enough to support a massive amount of players as games made in C++ and C#. For C#, I was told by someone, that it is commonly used for developing console games, for xbox, playstation, etc..

Well, you're part correct, C# is commonly used for Console Games.  But, VB6 is actually most common, because most people start off with VB6, may they never release the game, but, they practice it, to get used to programming, then move on to a completely different language, with a much different syntax, in the C-Based programming, unless they move to VB.NET.  But, from what I see, and have asked, VB6 is most commonly used.

Fruitpunch, I wouldn't kill you. :P I'm quite friendly in person, may I have not so many friends, I do have good friends[all my friends, actually total up to at least.. well, now I've got more friends.. so I'd say at least 19 friends].

Please, everyone, add more, give me links to more tutorials, and stuff, I'll add it in. :] I'm gonna finish up the rest of the Self-Submitted sections later on, I've got much to do.

@DezireSoftware:

> Well, you're part correct, C# is commonly used for Console Games.  But, VB6 is actually most common, because most people start off with VB6, may they never release the game, but, they practice it, to get used to programming, then move on to a completely different language, with a much different syntax, in the C-Based programming, unless they move to VB.NET.  But, from what I see, and have asked, VB6 is most commonly used.
>
> Fruitpunch, I wouldn't kill you. :P I'm quite friendly in person, may I have not so many friends, I do have good friends[all my friends, actually total up to at least.. well, now I've got more friends.. so I'd say at least 19 friends].
>
> Please, everyone, add more, give me links to more tutorials, and stuff, I'll add it in. :] I'm gonna finish up the rest of the Self-Submitted sections later on, I've got much to do.

I live woot! Anyway maybe we could chill next year. You know were Girard Avenue is?

• 1 month later...
When you say that RMXP is illegal, does that mean that I shouldn't be using the tiles that came with the Eclipse engine?  If not, then which tiles should I use, being that I've already started my mapping and would hate to start from scratch again….

• 2 months later...
@Jarvis:

> This was a good guide to read, and definitely can't wait for more. But VB6 is not the most common language in RPG development. C++ and C# are actually the most common. VB6 made games just aren't stable enough to support a massive amount of players as games made in C++ and C#. For C#, I was told by someone, that it is commonly used for developing console games, for xbox, playstation, etc..

Actually the most popular language amongst games is C/C++. C# is only used by some groups of Indie developers. However Xbox supports C# and XNA, the PlayStation, the Wii and all other consoles don't. All consoles support at least Assembly, C, C++ or a modified version of one of these. This is especially remarkable when looking at homebrew software, they're usually written in C and C++.

@[SB:

> DezireSoftware link=topic=38345.msg377241#msg377241 date=1234925676]
> Well, you're part correct, C# is commonly used for Console Games.  But, VB6 is actually most common, because most people start off with VB6, may they never release the game, but, they practice it, to get used to programming, then move on to a completely different language, with a much different syntax, in the C-Based programming, unless they move to VB.NET.  But, from what I see, and have asked, VB6 is most commonly used.
>
> Fruitpunch, I wouldn't kill you. :P I'm quite friendly in person, may I have not so many friends, I do have good friends[all my friends, actually total up to at least.. well, now I've got more friends.. so I'd say at least 19 friends].
>
> Please, everyone, add more, give me links to more tutorials, and stuff, I'll add it in. :] I'm gonna finish up the rest of the Self-Submitted sections later on, I've got much to do.

Actually Visual Basic 6 is only a common language for groups using Mirage-based engines.

@Genaga:

> The C# and C++ syntax isnt really similar at all, C# is more similar to vb,

[Wikipedia Article about C#](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_(programming_language)).

Now let me explain why C# looks like Visual Basic: they both use the .NET framework meaning they share the same function names, structures and so on. However, if you look at C++ in combination with WinAPI you'll see similarities with Visual Basic 6\. But this is not what most people talk about. When talking about programming languages looking the same we are talking syntax-wise and not library-wise in which C# looks more like C++ than Visual Basic, especially due influence by C++.

Regards,
  Godlord.

• 1 month later...
Iirc C++ has more control over what happens in… what are they called? Game loops? Anyway C# has different stuff for it. But the reason C++ is used for all of the consoles is because of that, it offers more control. After all ever consider how advanced our computers must be, they can render draw and change a screen rapidly with lifelike graphics. Developers want to make sure that what goes on is correct.

Python should be added there. And add PyGame to under the description.