Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Isometric style layout

Eagle

No, it doesn't. It's just a render mode useful for shadows.

Edit: so I'm not so cynical I should post more about this subject. Really, Eclipse would have no problem being isometric if it had 8 direction movement and arrows. StarCraft, for example, is built using straight grid coordinates, but it uses isometric graphics. With full isometric games, like Civilization 2, for example, the grid system is unique and offset compared to the straight gird system Eclipse has, so that would mean new map and potentially new tile formats, etc.

Also, has anyone but me thought about doing straight-grid isometric like in the later Ultima games, or in Tibia?

I have been watching the progression of Eclipse and I believe in time Marsh may pull towards an Isometric style platform, but you never know. I hope that we go that way. It would really open a lot of development in RTS and Diablo style games (which I love btw)

I would love 8 line movement as well as more sprite frames. I know sooner or later Eclipse will get there and you better believe the crew of Ambardia will be on top of it.

@УvøgêÑ:

> [IG] link=topic=39017.msg378410#msg378410 date=1235075600]
> I'll be honest ive actually paused my project to work on this particular problem - we're almost there, we just need to get the NPCS shooting back diagonally also, thats he tricky part.

So true. Getting you characters to move in 8 directions is easy, just a few (well, more than a few) lines of sadcscript and your done.

NPCS shooting back with spells and NPCS coming at you in a diagonal line is quite a bit harder.

To be honest I like Eclipse having the option to choose if you want a 2D game or ISO game. I prefer ISO but playing a good 2D game is always great - like the old Zeldas. I hope Eclipse doesn't move to the ISO front really quickly and leave 2D behind.

Yeah im with you guys. My first ISO game that I ever really played was this one when it came out, for the time it was excellent:
Electronic Arts, The Immortal.

![](http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo282/devogeninteractive/theimmortal.png)

Mind you, it was made in 1990, and was old enough to actually be released on the AppleIIe.

Anyway point of my story is that ever since then ISO has pwnt 2D for me, so im pretty hell bent on making a full conversion of EE to ISO.

@УvøgêÑ:

> [IG] link=topic=39017.msg378814#msg378814 date=1235101364]
> Yeah im with you guys. My first ISO game that I ever really played was this one when it came out, for the time it was excellent:
> Electronic Arts, The Immortal.
>
> ![](http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo282/devogeninteractive/theimmortal.png)
>
> Mind you, it was made in 1990, and was old enough to actually be released on the AppleIIe.
>
> Anyway point of my story is that ever since then ISO has pwnt 2D for me, so im pretty hell bent on making a full conversion of EE to ISO.

I'm quite glad we pushed you into it devo, seems like something that could help a lot of projects.

@[WTF:

> Rage link=topic=39017.msg378933#msg378933 date=1235113227]
> I'd love to work on it, but I have to work out job - related issues first.
> But there is a problem with ISO, if we do convert eclipse to ISO(with the diagonal tile based system) people will start asking for a straight version again.

But you have to look at the positive aspects of an isometric conversion. There are literally no open source mmorpg isometric engines out there. This would have a huge impact.

@zenpher:

> But you have to look at the positive aspects of an isometric conversion. There are literally no open source mmorpg isometric engines out there. This would have a huge impact.

Hmmm…your probably right. Once 3.0 is out I'll see my options, and hopefully I should have something similar to an Isometric Engine. (although I can't promise you anything at this stage)

Btw eagle, your website took me over an hour to load

@[WTF:

> Rage link=topic=39017.msg378936#msg378936 date=1235114036]
>
> Btw eagle, your website took me over an hour to load

Wow, really? It took me like 15 minutes to load, and I'm running on a shitty wireless connection.

And, if you do convert Eclipse to ISO, or 8 Directional.. I'll love you forever, because so many people will come to Eclipse[friends from different places] to just play with the application, most being serious about it, and joining the forums.

Iso would be interesting.. it could be a SIDE engine.. what I mean by this is of course- the fact that it's not the main concern of Eclipse, but a project on the side.. And to answer whoever said "They'd ask for straight version again" That is easily fixable.. After EE 3.0, they could start work on EI 1.0 (Eclipse Iso) and keep EE 3.0 still downloadable. Just like TE and EE.. It would be cool to have 2 different engines to work with on one site. YAY DIVERSITY!

http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=38807.msg379073#msg379073  I have the source code for this working right now Devogen is working on npc's I am working on camera bug. Check it out if you know any vb try to help =)

@Eagle:

> Holy Crap! I had no idea people were having problems like this! I will fix this, (sorry off-topic)

But it was a loverly site tho..  but yeah on my 9.9mpbs connection it took close to 5 mins to load the main page… I like the flaming buttons.

Lol I can't believein 8 years no ones noticed this spelling error on your main page..
![](http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo282/devogeninteractive/ss-1.jpg)

This is really getting off topic. We should pull it back in lol. As a developer, I don't see full isometric support for the next few versions. But who knows.

• 2 weeks later...