Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Top 10 programmers 2013!

Link

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I've always been one to admit I just can't program for *, so has Richy from what I've seen, but when I say it…I really mean it, because I know just how limited I am in vb6 and the extent of my knowledge being self taught in comparison to things I still need to know and probably wont waste time to learn. I make due with what I have and try to be as helpful as I can around here to people who have no knowledge at all, on the side I try to produce a little something that can bring any kind of joy to me and my teammates as far as self satisfaction and to the people who play it, with what you left us.

I at-least had the pleasure of meeting and or working for two people on that list, Robin. DFA (I worked for with that Mirage re-make) and Rory (I kind of just did nothing for his game, but got to know him a little better!) and he mentioned your name of course.

Outside in that big world where there are still people just beginning, think of eclipse as a nest, there are still only eggs here, while most of these things may not be important to you, they still are to some on this forum, these silly little lists may not mean anything in a serious matter, but I know it motivates those who start in vb6 to want to show what they can do, and strive harder...whether it be a dead language or not.

- Deathikins

In my honest opinion, this topic was destined to burn in the first place.

Making a ranking of "who is the best programmer" in a forum filled with good (but mostly young) programmers is bound to lead to this.

But since we're already to the point where we're arguing about who is good, who isn't blah blah blah..

I'm going to back Robin and Whack on this.

**Robin**

If you go back to the days of Konfuze and Mirage, you would see.. very little.

If you skip forward a little bit and look at Elysium and Total Eclipse/Eclipse Evolution days, you would see a pile of messy, badly directed engines.

Neither of these engines were anywhere near what people at the time expected of an Online RPG. The problem was that people weren't looking to push the engines to meet the expectations of a good game, but were simply making things work. I believe till date, the most refined VB6 Engine I've seen is that of Crystalshire. Not CS:DE, but the actual Crystalshire game. Robin is good at making things work the best way it can and doesn't stop at "It works". He's good at making things look good (I take some credit for this) and feel good. He's the one who has been constantly pushing the limits of a VB6 Engine and is now moving on to newer things which I believe will revolutionize ORPG Creation once again. Without him, we wouldn't have such a polished game engine to work with as a base right now (EO). We'd be stuck with fucking Chaos Engine.

**Whack**

He's definitely newer, fresh talent. I've been working with him for months and he's been the greatest asset to this new version of Nin Online. Just look at the screenshots and tell me he doesn't do a good job at making games.

It's true at times he stumbles and gets stuck on something for awhile, sometimes he gets help from others, but who doesn't. In game development, there's nothing L33T about doing everything yourself. We get help and find solutions which speed up the entire game development cycle. Whack is just awesome xD he gets stuff done fast, and he has an eye for details and aims for perfection more so than myself. He reminds me of Robin like 4 years back or so.

Honorable mentions for me would go to Abhi2011 and JC.

Once again, these are all people I've had personal experience working with, I am not comparing anyone here, each of them are good at their own things.

I don't go around telling everyone how terrible I am with programming, but when I realize there is something I can't figure out, I've always try to ask questions and explain them as clear as possible to try and get the reader to understand. It's too bad that I wasn't there when Konfuze or Mirage where being developed as its early stages before it died, yet I have my opinion of my person list of top 10 programmers who I learned the most on this forum through out the years.

1\. Robin Perris

2\. Mark Morris

3\. Damian666

4\. Marsh

5\. Deathbeam

6\. JeffSverlora

7\. Zesh

8\. Richy

9\. DFA

10\. Mr.Miguu

-Thank you

> I don't go around telling everyone how terrible I am with programming, but when I realize there is something I can't figure out, I've always try to ask questions and explain them as clear as possible to try and get the reader to understand. It's too bad that I wasn't there when Konfuze or Mirage where being developed as its early stages before it died, yet I have my opinion of my person list of top 10 programmers who I learned the most on this forum through out the years.
>
>  
>
> 1\. Robin Perris
>
> 2\. Mark Morris
>
> 3\. Damian666
>
> 4\. Marsh
>
> 5\. Deathbeam
>
> 6\. JeffSverlora
>
> 7\. Zesh
>
> 8\. Richy
>
> 9\. DFA
>
> 10\. Mr.Miguu
>
>  
>
> -Thank you

Damn man, that list is retro as fuck. :P

Retro indeed, now that i have been to college and learned how to program properly I would consider myself high on that list. But at the time here at Eclipse i knew very little until the last year or so. I wouldnt even consider myself on the list for the majority of that time.

Though its good to see that people still remember the old members that really made this site great.

• 4 weeks later...
Since this list is about VB6 and active people:

1\. Stein

My list is complete. There are no active people deserving of 2-10, that and voting on the top 10 is a bad idea, because there are there aren't many smart people (bell curve people, bell curve), but a lot more average people, and those average people have very skewed opinions. That and the best programmers aren't going to defend themselves because they don't need to – their work speaks many more volumes than voting for themselves for #1-10.