Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Top 10 programmers 2013!

Link

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> this topic is going to make a ton of people who are full of themself about their "skills", gonna make them rage. just saying.

The more you know the more you realise you don't know.

If you're a good programmer you know how bad your programming is.

> if you don't realize that, how are you going to learn more? im confused by how it's good lol

I think the people on the Top 10 List would say it's good, since if anyone can realize something they don't know, then they'd realize what needs to learned if willing to.

@ Whack

I've made it clear about 5 times in topics I've even posted that I never did anything for that game, everyone knows that, I was saying when I held a position as a programmer there and referencing it to the mentioning of you in this topic, I never said "Oh I did what I was supposed to!," and only Rory knows why I couldn't do anything for Nin at the time, it had nothing to do with capability, lol. No need to go onion on me carrot boy.

Two: Everyone knows "your momma" is actually the best programmer on eclipse, thanks.

Three: Too bad Ranqe missed out on seeing Robin pop in.

Four: Want to know the top 10? Let's have a programming contest to settle this up. If anyone has the balls to participate. It would be fun and give the community some spark? :D

P.S I wasn't too slow, we agreed on two weeks, you're the one who went on and blew that off before even trying to communicate with me, while I've had the money :/

- Death

This topic is just about a bit of fun provided by our good friend Death here. I don't see how this can lead to accusations of not knowing what fields there are to improve in, because quite frankly I always know of any inefficiency or anything buggy within my code due to regular tests and theories. There's ALWAYS a better way you can do something and there's always something to learn. In reality we probably all know nothing, however, should that stop us having a little fun and prodding jokes at one another in this topic?

> ![](http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/Kite_Minase/Reaction/CLANNAD_18_kawaii_sunohara.jpg)

He Lives!

> If you're a good programmer you know how bad your programming is.

I've never actually seen you say a bad thing about your work around here. Not without some excuse like "It was done in a rush." or "I was drunk." Not that those are excuses I've actually seen you use.  

Anyways… Take that how ever you want. Thanksgiving is coming here soon, I was hoping you could celebrate with our family, turkey and pumpkin pie, the whole shebang', you know... since you missed us on the fourth of July and all.

> I've never actually seen you say a bad thing about your work around here. Not without some excuse like "It was done in a rush." or "I was drunk." Not that those are excuses I've actually seen you use.  
>
> Anyways… Take that how ever you want. Thanksgiving is coming here soon, I was hoping you could celebrate with our family, turkey and pumpkin pie, the whole shebang', you know... since you missed us on the fourth of July and all.

There's a difference between constantly self-deprecating on a public forum and knowing & discussing your limitations and mistakes with people you know.

Ask Stein, Jacob, Rory or just about anyone who has worked with me.

I'm not a programmer at all in some respects. There are some very smart people who sit around and discuss exactly how we should serialize data, exactly how we should send data between terminals, exactly which algorithms we should use for calculating this that and the other.

I'm the guy who takes all of those things and puts them to use, builds a front-end, integrates it with a nice solid website and gets it to the point where people can actually use it without tearing out their hair. I'm the guy who makes sure that when you press control whilst using your mouse-wheel you'll do a horizontal scroll instead of a vertical scroll. I'm the guy who spends hours making sure presentation controls have an EnsureVisible() method when editing existing data. I'm the guy who spends hours explaining to people why having 10.txt listed between 1.txt and 2.txt in a file list is not the right way to order things.

Jacob wrote the first drag & drop system, Dmitry wrote the first BltToDC system, Rory designed the graphics… I took those things and built a UI system based around it, with hotbar, inventory, spell icons etc.

That's my job, and I'm pretty good at it. Ask me to write a flood-fill algorithm implementation without having Jacob go over and tell me exactly why it's taking 7,000ms to run through 900 tiles and I'll be left hanging.

The reason I'm remembered as a good programmer on here is because I got very good at a certain discipline and surrounded myself with insanely talented people. Seb, Rory, Jacob, Dmitry and I did things that no one else could even dream of back then. We looked to Japan and Europe and tried to make things which matched the insanely high quality projects we saw. We took games like Final Fantasy and Zelda and asked ourselves "Why can't we make something like this?". As each of us developed our own skillsets we taught each other about them too.

Seb (ZoSo) taught us about graphics design and game balancing. He taught us what it was to make a game **_fun_**, and actually feel like a game. He had a real skill when it came to making do with what he had. He took our old, silly features and made them do things no one ever dreamed of. He built the first projects which gave items worth, which made bosses fun to fight. He made people care about their characters.

Jacob (Dugor) taught us how to program properly. He brought OOP techniques and philosophies to our code. He spent his time making re-usable, readable code and we built off of that. He implemented the fully functional form-based UI system seen in the unreleased Crystalshire source. He built the login server and forum integration. He built the WoW-style armory system. He wrote the byte-array packet system for crying out loud. His games never went anywhere, but he was always miles ahead of everyone else, and he was kind enough to share this with all of you people without anyone bothering to credit him in their work.

Dmitry (DFA), whilst a very unstable man, brought a metric tonne of new ideas and systems. Some he took from places like vbGORE, but he was still good at making things which worked. He was the guy who really pushed himself to develop systems to truly show off Seb's fantastic graphics in games like Megalith. He was the driving force behind MS4 and a lot of the improvements between MS3.0.3 and EO2 were done by him.

Rory brought a fresh look and some amazing website design ideas to the table. From him we learnt how to make a website feel good. He knew the importance of an integrated forum, of a consistent image and colour scheme. He knew what it took to make a good UI and how to make it feel good. He's the one who pushed me to develop animated buttons, add sound effects to menus and transition between screens properly with fades and wipes. Out of everyone in our group he's the only person to actually go to school for this stuff, and he brought back a lot of amazing things from there too. He's the guy who's been by my side through absolutely everything and one of my oldest friends.

As for what qualities I have which made these people want to work with me… well, I'm not really sure to be honest. I'm just happy that I was lucky enough to meet and work with such a talented group of people.

The lists in this thread are nothing more than a popularity contest. None of you even know of the people who would take up half of the positions on that list. Normally I'd find that kind of sad, but knowing these people like I do I know they're just happy to have the work they created used by so many people.

All to the contrary, the thread was aimed at people still active in Eclipse and VB6 programming lol.

How was anyone to know Robin was gonna come back and drop bombs!?

Honestly, a good programmer doesn't sit around proclaiming to be, they show it with what they've accomplished.

Robin, Jacob, Dmitry, and a few others, I'm sure. Have already shown it.

> All to the contrary, the thread was aimed at people still active in Eclipse and VB6 programming lol.
>
> How was anyone to know Robin was gonna come back and drop bombs!?
>
>  
>
> Honestly, a good programmer doesn't sit around proclaiming to be, they show it with what they've accomplished.
>
> Robin, Jacob, Dmitry, and a few others, I'm sure. Have already shown it.

People link me to topics of interest from time to time. Sometimes I like to log in and show my face. x)

> 1\. Stein
>
> 2\. JC
>
> 3\. davemax
>
> 4\. Whack
>
> 5\. Helladen
>
> 6\. Richy
>
> 7\. Death
>
> 8\. Sherwin
>
> 9\. Kibblez
>
> 10\. YOUR MAMA!
>
>  
>
> PS: I'm still trolling on order because I don't pass bias judgement without proper comparing of ability.

The death is me ?   :P