Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I learned things!

hisherwin

![](https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1468546_590798730989140_138011184_n.jpg)

i started using code::blocks last friday  (Dec. 13, 2013)

but the syntax is kinda same as Vb6 so i got used to it in just 2 days.. 

Just one question.. How do you compile on C++ ? i found the compile button but, it won't work?

Is there no "\n" for new line in c++ ? I think that would make your life easier :D

I'm doing C for university right now and don't know too much about c++ but as you can use C in C++, I think that would be possible.

Somehow I like using scanf() and printf() way better. The way you did it with cin and cout just doesn't look as clean.

I also asked myself why you only print out the result when it is positive, as substraction can easily create a negative result and why wouldn't you show that to the user? It's always fun to make the best out of your learning projects and it might give you a better attitude for later, bigger projects.

Anyhow, nice little start (nothing worthy showing off but meh, good that you are motivated ;D)

keep on learning!

-seal

> Is there no "\n" for new line in c++ ? I think that would make your life easier :D

Yes you can use "\n" but "endl" is far prettier.

Does compile give you an error or can't you find the compiled application? If you can't find it, look in the "bin" folder.

> This is the free version. Do not tag me as a pirate by linking it on a site known for piracy.
> [Visual Studio 2010 Express](http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads#d-2010-express)

Right.. thanks, i'll check it up once i got a torrent xD

i'll stick on Code::Blocks while i'm studying

• 3 weeks later...
> Yes you can use "\n" but "endl" is far prettier.
>
>  
>
> Does compile give you an error or can't you find the compiled application? If you can't find it, look in the "bin" folder.

It's not just prettier, 'endl' is cross-platform while '\n' is not cross-platform! :)

On topic:

@OP, you should use the Switch statement instead of the If statement ;)

> It's not just prettier, 'endl' is cross-platform while '\n' is not cross-platform! :)
>
>  
>
> On topic:
>
> @OP, you should use the Switch statement instead of the If statement ;)

Uhm, sorry but what Switch statement do ?

how does it function?

> good to see people picking up on C++, I'm took a course on it 2 years ago and haven't touched on it since, I use mono and C#.

Erm, we don't have a Programming Subject on school .. Only HTML (even on collage)

but i'm interested on programming that's why i'm doing self-studying, i can't learn fast enough xD

thmm… I think you does not have a compiler installed. Do you download codeblock with minGW? Codeblock is just the IDE but minGW is the compiler... So that is why you cannot compile your program. Either you download the version with minGW or download the compiler yourself.

• 8 months later...
> It's not just prettier, 'endl' is cross-platform while '\n' is not cross-platform! :)

How is \n not cross platform? The function that writes to the file will recognize the character and put the correct necessary end line character/s.

endl and \n are basically the same. Personally I like \n and see it in the industry I am not sure I have ever seen a endl. Also endl flushes the buffer afterwards and can have a hit on performance.