Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Map Size - Design Question

Ghoul

Is it poor game design to have maps with varying max sizes? For example, having a "tutorial" area that is 20x20, but "overworld" maps generally being larger. Not sure if this would almost ruin the feeling of the game due to this inconsistency.

This is how old mapping used to be done to make it look seamless. Make the map size fairly large and then put the warp attributes about 5 squares in. It's not really worth it. I believe Konfuze or Elysium used to have genuine seamless mapping but it was incredibly laggy.

As for the OP's question. No it's not really bad practice to have different map sizes. And you CAN make the world consistent by doing something like this:![Map Consistency](https://i.imgur.com/JZG5LKJ.png)

@angelr Speed and stability. A friend of mine made a 200x200 map (EO 2 based engine) and it was extremely slow to move around, then he added trees and the map would crash the server when opened.

Also, smaller maps means the packets sent from server to client are smaller (using less bandwidth [I think that's the right term?])