Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lags on remote server

Kouga

I've tested this in three different ways (each with its own weird results):

- On a high-profile machine with 16 GB Ram, the client claimed 1 GB. No lags on that machine, but a computer in the same network (which should cause close to no lags) experienced stuttering and npc/other player freezes. Monster pc also could join game when hosted on mid-class notebook with no lags either.

- Tried running the server on a dedicated machine. Two mid-class notebooks joined the game, both got freezes and lags.
Clients claimed around 260-300 MB memory with the system still having plenty of memory to spare. (around 1 GB per system)

- Joined local game on same PC as server; no lags at all, despite being the same PC with 4/6 GB.

- The mid-class notebooks are Win10 and Win7, the monster-machine is Win10 as well.

- Tested with good graphics card and weaker one, no change in results tho.

Any idea how this could be fixed?

What is the internet speed of the server?
When you are on local it is much different than on the other IP.
Are lags movement based? If so then you might wanna change the outdated eclipse movement code.
Eclipse Engine 1.8.2 - Is this old engine or renewal?
Try checking the things above and do the speed test on the server.
Also provide the link of the engine so I can check the code If possible.
:)

Tried connecting via LAN to a server in our network (to work around possible WLAN weakpoints). Worked flawlessly until other player in same network joined. Again, other player had no problems at all, even when my PC hosted the server .. same network still.

Yes, Renewal!

EDIT: Had access to high speed internet today. No changes. It's definitely not networking. Nor Ram, as even 4 GB seem to get it running just fine..

Some hope for you:

I had this issue on my pokemon game and one thing that I can say it that old and still used eclipse movement code is crap.
If you check robins CS source etc. you can find this simple code that is working great without using elapsedtime that is causing lags in most of the times when movement related.

What you should do is to go to the modGameLogic and search for Sub ProcessMovement
Now replace old Select case code with this one:

Select Case Player(Index).Moving
Case MOVING_WALKING
PlayerMovement(Index) = 1
MovementSpeed = WALK_SPEED
Case MOVING_RUNNING
PlayerMovement(Index) = 2
MovementSpeed = WALK_SPEED + ((GetPlayerStat(Index, Agility) + (Player(Index).Level / 25)) ^ 0.4)
Case Else
PlayerMovement(Index) = 0
Exit Sub
End Select

When you are done with that go to modConstants and change the value of the WALK_SPEED to 4.
You can test the things by changing the value of it. Higher value results higher speed.
Should look like this:

Public Const WALK_SPEED As Byte = 4

Dont forget to backup your client project and src folder before this in case this is not the solution to your lags.
Hope this helps :)

@coyote This is an extremely bad idea. This exists to ensure that the movement speed is frame-independent and based on time instead. Your solution will result in movement speed being directly tied to the FPS of the running client (i.e., slower FPS will result in slower movement, and faster FPS will result in faster movement).

Maybe , but it showed itself as a useful thing.
Crystalshire is probably the best engine ever created with eclipse and it uses this code.
There was a topic about this already back in 2012 or 13.
For me it showed itself as a better option so. I've tested it and have it running on my game and no issues.

Also when using elapsed time you walk slow then really fast and slow again. Its messed up.