Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Networking Windows XP MCE

sir zach

I have a desktop computer running Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3… The computer will show up on my laptop running Windows 7, but I can not access the shared files and etc. All the other computers in the house (running XP) do not show the desktop.

Anyone know how to allow access to this computer and have it show up?

I have firewall turned on but all the exceptions are on, simple file sharing is on, it's connected to the internet... any other ideas of what I need to do?

@Leaf:

> link=topic=51194.msg536350#msg536350 date=1251754543]
> Same workgroup, yes. I didn't windows XP had a homegroup feature… I'll look now

same thing, havnt looked at a XP machine in a while, same feature though

there is also a button somewhere that allows you to view all local computers on the network

@Gwen:

> It doesnt always work….
>
> Also MCE has some networking features taken out of it... much like Home edition. Im not sure which features tho.

Difference between Home and Professional as for sharing is that you only have 'Simple File Sharing', you don't have the extended one.

Regards,
  Godlord.

hmm…

Ok to make this clear... you want to access the files on your MCE XP from your laptop that has windows 7\. You can see your MCE in network neighborhood in Win7, but when you click on it you dont see any shared files?

Yes, all that is correct, except the last statement. Let me revise what you said lol

"… you want to access the files on your MCE XP from your laptop that has windows 7\. You can see your MCE in network neighborhood in Win7, **but when you click on it the win7 says it can't find the computer**"