• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How To Force Player Update?

sweetboy

i think you can make some modification with your client and server

make a file in client folder, called version.ini

place, for example, version=1 inside version.ini

then in the client.vbp make some code to read the version.ini, then sent to the server

in the server, make some code inside server.vbp to read the client version, if not match, show a msg box to warn player that their version isn't updated.

this is more simple and easier rather than change your client.exe version, but if you do this player can easily made some modification to get rid of updating client :angry:

sorry for bad english :(

I am basically restating CoziBoy:

Use a versioning system. Here is an example of a version 1.0.1\. When the player logs in or registers connects to the server send the version info along with the other data. Make the server check the version with the current version. The current version should be stored with the server. 

When an update takes place increase the version number on the new client and on the server by 1\. Then upload the client. 

If the versions don't match up show a message saying it's outdated and asking the player whether the game should be updated and the make the game start the updater and shut itself down.

> I am basically restating CoziBoy:
>
> Use a versioning system. Here is an example of a version 1.0.1\. When the player logs in or registers connects to the server send the version info along with the other data. Make the server check the version with the current version. The current version should be stored with the server. 
>
> When an update takes place increase the version number on the new client and on the server by 1\. Then upload the client. 
>
> If the versions don't match up show a message saying it's outdated and asking the player whether the game should be updated and the make the game start the updater and shut itself down.

no, i mean he could make a modification, so we don't use client versioning but he can use a external versioning.

in example make a configuration file in txt, when the game start client read the version from txt file then send it to server to check the version of the client.

so when every update is avaiable, we don't need to reupload the client to use versioning system, but just the txt file :P

i'll make the tutor later ;)