Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How come there is not more DX8 Support?

kanechart

I hear so much about DX8 as a future for many peoples projects but as someone starting out its sort of odd hearing a lot of good features but not any code spilled out for everyone to add to there game.

I mean alpha blending and the png support sounded like the biggest features but there is lots also over time. But things like stability and speed aka faster smoother?

So much I would like to know but I maybe to newb to do it my self at this point.

Thanks,
Kane

Ahh so were all dumb ;). That is to bad I would die for such feature I mean whats the biggest issue everyone has? It would be memory management and mainly with the tiles causing so much memory usage.

With DX9 and PNG support that is a thing of the past. No more 10 tiles hello 50 tiles lol

It's easy enough for anyone who knows how to program.

It seems far too many people around here can edit a couple of features in Eclipse and assume they're fully fledged programmers. They're not.

Anyone can change shit till it does something different but writing it out from scratch means you need to be a programmer.

Even then, the amount of tutorials and references around makes it a breeze.

DirectX7 is pretty tightly integrated with the Eclipse client. People have changed it to other rendering engines like Dx8 or Dx9 but you really have to gut a lot of the client to do it. I tried when I was a developer and decided it wasn't something I wanted to screw with.

It's hardly integrated at all! The current DirectDraw7 shit is horribly done in the first place, with coding standards which haven't improved at all since Sean's original Visual Inventory and Scrolling Maps features from 2004.

It's just that most people who dub themselves as programmers aren't actually programmers. They're just some kids who mess around with existing code.

@Robin:

> It's hardly integrated at all! The current DirectDraw7 shit is horribly done in the first place, with coding standards which haven't improved at all since Sean's original Visual Inventory and Scrolling Maps features from 2004.

well, sure, but I don't see how that proves your point. What I'm saying is that it was never really designed with the idea that someone might want to come along and change it later. Like I said, you kinda have to gut the client to do it.

Also, in case someone overreacts and says it's just because I'm a bad programmer or something: no. I didn't say it was impossible, but you really have to be familiar with the client's code to attempt it.

• 2 weeks later...