Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Commercial Use of the Engine

hagefade

Hi, I found this topic: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,29732.0/nowap.html

Which explained about copyright and stuff. I was going to release the game to the public in several weeks but then I read the topic and some things that I would need to change. I saw that I would need to change stuff such as the sprites for the monsters, npcs, items and more before I could release the game and have a chance of earning money from it.

Could someone please give me a simpler list of what I would need to make myself/change for my game to be released.

**You would need to change every piece of graphics that comes with the engine, as they are all non commercial free use**, if I remember right. In my opinion it is not wise to approach using eclipse for monetary gain if you are not a very skilled programmer. What ever the case I wish you luck with your project as I'm sure it will be a long road for you.

Sure. Finding people to pay for it is a completely different thing though. ;P

I've only made money through selling stuff to other developers, never through one of my games. I wouldn't personally pay any money to a Mirage-based game, so I don't expect other people to either.

@hagefade:

> So basically as you guys said, I just have to make my own graphics but I can still use the engine?

Yes, but if you want money, it's not gunna be easy. Most liekly no one will pay for it except for:

COmplete reprogramming/3d
A vary popular community and more world to explore < Also good for advertising $$$

I disagree. I think with scripting alone, you can make a quality game worth charging for.

The main problem is lack of new idea's, really.  Most everything here has been done before, or simply is not well thought out, at all.

For example, the loads and loads of fantasy games, all with random stories that sound alike if you read them side by side.
Lack of imagination with "features" or game filling in general
And most of all a lack of dedication neccesary to actually FINISH a project, much less put a respectable amount of effort into it.

I think people are underestimating just because of the lower quality of work and high failure rate of past and present work.
(some exceptions apply)

It is possible to make money through using the eclipse engine. I know ambard has made money through people who have donated to him and his game and also from advertisements. If you make something worth playing then a simple donate button and soem advertisements on your webpage could help bring in a few bucks.

I think you might be surprised what people will pay for.

I suspect you'd need to have a massive playerbase before you could get away with charging membership fees, but sales of in game perks that do not unfairly advantage the buyer is still a viable option, as is the sale of virtual land as player houses.

If its a good enough game, people will go for it.

@Baron:

> I think you might be surprised what people will pay for.
>
> I suspect you'd need to have a massive playerbase before you could get away with charging membership fees, but sales of in game perks that do not unfairly advantage the buyer is still a viable option, as is the sale of virtual land as player houses.
>
> If its a good enough game, people will go for it.

"A vary popular community and 'more world to explore' "                ' ' = Membership, but didn't say it right, Lol, but yes, you get teh idea…

Ya, basically what I thought of doing is to do all my own graphics, then when I release the game try and get heaps of people playing, then do events and stuff where they can try and make some graphics for rewards such as gold or in-game cash so when I make cash they already have the currency to buy cash items, then I'll add a website with a donate button and so on.

@Baron:

> I think you might be surprised what people will pay for.
>
> I suspect you'd need to have a massive playerbase before you could get away with charging membership fees, but sales of in game perks that do not unfairly advantage the buyer is still a viable option, as is the sale of virtual land as player houses.
>
> If its a good enough game, people will go for it.

If you can get the game small enough(MB), have enough f2p features to lure people in, then have lots more features for p2p which help you like getting moniez faster. etc etc.

Okay, before the game is released with my own graphics, can I accept/ask for donations from people to help with the game development?

PS: If I can, how would I do so, the more suggestions, the better. Such as if I were to accept payments through paypal, how would I set up a button or a link to do so?

Ok, Eclipse is made from Ely which is made from mirage. So actuly, you should follow this:

> "So here we go. The Mirage source code can be downloaded, this is the newest version, and it is PUBLIC DOMAIN. This does not mean OPEN SOURCE. This means, you can do whatever the fuck you want with the source code, and I don’t give a fucking damn. Rip it and claim it as your own, like the fucking terrorists did. Give no credit where it’s due"
>
> -Shannara

You can claim everything yours and say you coded it (don't do this btw, that's just mean) **BUT** Graphics and maps.