Find results in...

Eclipse Origins v2 Beta

Robin

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Sekaru:

> I didn't say 'program it yourself'. I was just saying that an engine shouldnt have a load of features because it encourages laziness.

Again, I'm not an Eclipse veteran but wasn't Eclipse made to make MMORPG making extremely easy and fast?  I know I use this program just as a hobby on the side and don't ever code with it.  So wouldn't a lot more features just make it easier and faster?  Especially for people that don't know how to code.  Let's face it.  It's extremely hard to make an exceptional game with Eclipse.    Plus, their's no point in not adding new features, unless Robin is extremely busy and doesn't have the time. 
You say it encourages laziness.  Even commercial engines are getting easier and easier to use because faster is better.  I don't see why adding a bow and arrow system (or a quest system for that matter) would decrease the quality of peoples games.  Unless you think the bow and arrow system will be done poorly and people should have to code to make it work the way they want it to.  If they are proficient at coding then it should be even easier to make a good bow and arrow system if there is already one implemented. 
Wow, sorry for the longness of that post, I got carried away. ;)

@cpunerd96:

> Again, I'm not an Eclipse veteran but wasn't Eclipse made to make MMORPG making extremely easy and fast?  I know I use this program just as a hobby on the side and don't ever code with it.  So wouldn't a lot more features just make it easier and faster?  Especially for people that don't know how to code.  Let's face it.  It's extremely hard to make an exceptional game with Eclipse.    Plus, their's no point in not adding new features, unless Robin is extremely busy and doesn't have the time. 
> You say it encourages laziness.  Even commercial engines are getting easier and easier to use because faster is better.  I don't see why adding a bow and arrow system (or a quest system for that matter) would decrease the quality of peoples games.  Unless you think the bow and arrow system will be done poorly and people should have to code to make it work the way they want it to.  If they are proficient at coding then it should be even easier to make a good bow and arrow system if there is already one implemented. 
> Wow, sorry for the longness of that post, I got carried away. ;)

he can't code everything instantly.  Look at his to do list.  Also, he doesn't want to do the quest system for more than one reason I believe.  Also, as you said fast is good so he should keep the engine sleek and fast.

@Jeff:

> he can't code everything instantly.  Look at his to do list.  Also, he doesn't want to do the quest system for more than one reason I believe.  Also, as you said fast is good so he should keep the engine sleek and fast.

I didn't say he needed to do it instantly.  And that wasn't what I meant by fast, but you knew that already.  I know he doesn't want to do a quest system (on a side note, I would like to know what the reasons are).  But would a bow and arrow system slow it down that much?  It seems like a necessary feature to me.

@Kemerd:

> Because he wants to make money by selling his quest system… It's that, or I have no freakin' idea.
> :mad:

Really? You're making an angry face at that?

The only reason I opened the shop is because I put waay too much time in to these projects and get absolutely nothing out of them. I've had 3 donations since I put up that button a year ago. Because of that I set up some premium versions to help pay the bills and all the other shit which is eating in to my overdraft right now. I'm not going to get in to it because quite honestly, you're far too young to understand what my life is like at the moment.

I give everything out for free. I spend hours fixing people's problems and helping people debug their code. Are you really going to now bitch and complain about me making a bit of cash on the side by selling some features? If so you're a spoilt little cunt. There are far too many people around here who seem to think that everything I make is fair game. That everything I make should be theirs and that I should be releasing everything for free. To those people: **Fuck you.**

@DawnOfEarth:

> well if you can get a quest system a bow and arrow system and a mount system I will def buy it off you I am sry I made such and up roar on here but as I see it you are the best coder I have seen
>
> _**THX ROBIN**_

You haven't caused anything. It's simply two different parties being equally vocal.

I created Origins to change the standards of Eclipse and give everyone a solid base to work on. I did not make this so you could make a game in one day and be done with it. Instead of making people want to work harder like I originally intended, I've got dozens of kids who're so damn spoilt by what I've done that all they spend their time doing is begging me to do work for them, complaining that the engine isn't exactly what they wanted and just generally being little shits.

On the other side you've got the elitists who think that just because they've got a bit of knowledge that they're above everyone else. They seem to think that telling people to do shit themselves and to learn how to program is cool, all the time relying on my work in a most hypocritical fashion. Seriously, some of them were asking the exact same questions just months before, and now they get a tiny bit of knowledge they think they're the bee's fucking knees.

Both these groups are equally annoying. The only reason I even work on Origins any more is because of the silent majority who use the engine patiently, report bugs properly, have a thirst for knowledge and are willing to push themselves outside their comfort zone to learn new things.

yeah i understand i know a lil bout coding but not enouf i have messed with the mount system for some time just cant get it worked out the mount is like a paperdool item you equiped it and it has the same properties as shift would working on like a bar to times the speed for dif sets of mounts and with your dinamic sprite thing it helped me out alot i will keep working at my own stuff  you gave are everyone a great start point and thxs alot for that, old eclipse was ok but this is fare more than we exspetied

SRY FOR ALL THE SPELLING ERRORS

Hm… I do not know about what you are talking, but I want to say, that Eclipse is one of the best MMO Games Engines I ever used. We need to say a big THANKS to Robin.

I started using this engine approximately five or six month ago.  At that moment was popular Eclipse Stable and Eclipse Evolution engines. In those engines I liked a script system. Very simple and you can add vary quickly some add-ons, but unfortunately those engines was buggy. I fixed almost all bugs, and my game (Day & Night Online) was ready to take first visitors, but (how I hate my hard disc) my hard broke. All information disappeared. I was very angry all my work(I dont know how to translate to english but in Russian it would be: Всё коту под хвост) it means: all my work for nothing.

I thought, that I could find Eclipse Stable at this website, but I found more interesting thing, Eclipse Origins. Yesterday I looked engine's code and I was surprised, the code is so understandable and in one night I almost prepared engine for my game.  Some add-ons, exp formula, and many other things. One more thing that made me happy is party system. For this I say THANK YOU Robin. Now I am thinking about guild system. I have some difficult with it, but I approximately know how to make it.

Most of people think that MMO they can make in one day, but they are wrong. Just for me, it took me almost 3 weeks to think what will be in my game, one week to find engine and about 5-6 month to rebuild the engine. Hm I at this moment I had only 10-12 items and 5-6 (25x25) map with 35 spells at server. And what? I lost it in one minute, and I do not give up. I am ready to donate time to restore my game again.

So people, do not disturb Robin with yours stupid questions and let him work. If your Eclipse engine not matches to your ideas, then find some source tutorials or just think, how to solve this problem, I am not a pro programmer, all what I know, I learned by my self, but edit or add some basic code I can, and I think you can do it.  So do not give up.

P.S. Sorry for my broken English :D

Lol nex time buy a disk and put your game in there or somewere else.Robin is doing this for free so you cant realy tell him what to make and get mad when he says no.

@Robin:

> You haven't caused anything. It's simply two different parties being equally vocal.
>
> I created Origins to change the standards of Eclipse and give everyone a solid base to work on. I did not make this so you could make a game in one day and be done with it. Instead of making people want to work harder like I originally intended, I've got dozens of kids who're so damn spoilt by what I've done that all they spend their time doing is begging me to do work for them, complaining that the engine isn't exactly what they wanted and just generally being little shits.
>
> On the other side you've got the elitists who think that just because they've got a bit of knowledge that they're above everyone else. They seem to think that telling people to do shit themselves and to learn how to program is cool, all the time relying on my work in a most hypocritical fashion. Seriously, some of them were asking the exact same questions just months before, and now they get a tiny bit of knowledge they think they're the bee's fucking knees.
>
> Both these groups are equally annoying. The only reason I even work on Origins any more is because of the silent majority who use the engine patiently, report bugs properly, have a thirst for knowledge and are willing to push themselves outside their comfort zone to learn new things.

Thanks for this post Robin.  Seriously, this really helped me to understand you and your engine.  As many other people have said, great job on Eclipse!  Thank you for making the best 2d mmo engine out there!

@Raiko:

> Lol nex time buy a disk and put your game in there or somewere else.Robin is doing this for free so you cant realy tell him what to make and get mad when he says no.

Save not on disc but on Flash memory. Not 100% that it will save mod. engine but I have chance not to lose it. :D

@Kemerd:

> Because he wants to make money by selling his quest system… It's that, or I have no freakin' idea.
> :mad:

It technically was Jacob's quest system modified, but it's unfair to those who paid for it to make all the features from it. Gradually yes but he can do other things that can benefit both people, there's several free quest system tutorials.

@cpunerd96:

> So any updates on the next version of Eclipse, Robin?

I don't think that's a good question to ask, he doesn't give release dates. He's spontaneous when he releases things and he just released this less than a week ago. Let people like me get some time to build onto ours without having to worry about merging the sources every couple of days. Aka more things in a longer period of time.

@Helladen:

> It technically was Jacob's quest system modified

It wasn't modified, it was literally just Jake's stuff.

@Helladen:

> but it's unfair to those who paid for it to make all the features from it

Unfair to you, you mean. I've been selling that thing for over a year now and you're the only one bitching because I'm still working on my open-source projects.

@Robin:

> It wasn't modified, it was literally just Jake's stuff.
>
> Unfair to you, you mean. I've been selling that thing for over a year now and you're the only one bitching because I'm still working on my open-source projects.

Forget it. I was just giving a point on not releasing it right at this exact instant, make something else rather than making the same system again.

Quest systems and ranged combat ARE considered to be in the usual repertoire of features in any MMO.
Why would they not be in the basic engine?
Probably because there are  a few dozen ways you can handle the how either of those are presented and implemented in any game based on how you want them to work.
I for one do not see how any existing quest system will fulfill what I am looking for.
In regards to ranged combat, the simple difference of guns or bows/arrows changes the entire perspective of how you should make it work.

Before too long people who want to make basic versions of these will release their code.
I think a quest system was already posted.

I wish people would at least try and learn to code in features before making request… :/

@Shadowwulfâ„¢:

> Probably because there are  a few dozen ways you can handle the how either of those are presented and implemented in any game based on how you want them to work.

My point exactly.

Hell, I get dozens of people asking me to change how existing features work. Imagine how many damn requests I'd get for a different style of projectiles or a different style of questing.

I make features for myself. If I would use them in my own game I add them to Origins. My idea of a decent quest system probably has nothing in common with most people around here.