Find results in...

Eclipse Origins v2 Beta

Robin

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Robin:

> That's not a bug, it's just how I programmed it.
>
> I can't possibly create a render order which meets everyone's requirements so I just added a basic render order which you'll need to tweak yourself to suit your own graphics.

Yea, but when would anyone ever have the weapons show under the armor? the way eclipse stable or earlier renders paperdoll seems pretty generic, in that it makes sense most the time; the only problem being that the weapon is in the right hand except when you face left then it changes to left hand mysteriously. You should just use the usual rendering in earlier versions with a fix to that problem.

In my humble opinion paperdoll use would most likely always be:

legwear on 1st layer
armor on second
helmet on third
shield on fourth (left hand)
sword on fifth (right hand)

And even if it wasn't, this would still be the most common rendering (or something very similiar).

@Robin:

> There source is right over there pal, have fun programming it like that.

Ok "pal". But don't forget that if you want more people to use your engine, maaybe you should aim at making it as "user-friendly" as possible. Not everyone can program, or want to. And besides this, I know you very well agree with what I said about rendering.  But whatever will be.

@Cheshire:

> @Robin:
>
> > There source is right over there pal, have fun programming it like that.
>
> Ok "pal". But don't forget that if you want more people to use your engine, maaybe you should aim at making it as "user-friendly" as possible. Not everyone can program, or want to. And besides this, I know you very well agree with what I said about rendering.  But whatever will be.

Excuse me? BUT this engine is much easier to use than Eclipse. The only good engine on here is Robin's.

The only two problems I encountered when working with it for a short-while was the sprites were setup differently than Eclipse. Which may be a issue to a lot of people, and the items being 64x32\. But Robin has a converter for the items.

@Cheshire:

> Ok "pal". But don't forget that if you want more people to use your engine, maaybe you should aim at making it as "user-friendly" as possible. Not everyone can program, or want to. And besides this, I know you very well agree with what I said about rendering.  But whatever will be.

Adding anymore than 1 rendering order is going to be useless code which just sits there. If you want thousands of options and systems which you don't need to edit the source to use, then go use Stable. Hell, Stable's BltPlayer subroutine is as large as my entire DD7 engine because of all the paperdoll & multiple sizes crap.

Those kinds of things are what slow a source down. The more options you have, the slower it is. I explained why it is the way it is and whining about it isn't going to change anything.

I'll let you know what Origins is for. It's for those who are willing to take the time to learn something new to make a good game. It's for those who realise that after you actually take the time to learn to edit the source code, Stable isn't appropriate for the job.

If you want to be stuck in the past that's fine, just don't drag me and my source code down with you.

I spend my time helping anyone who has problems or questions with any version of Eclipse, be it Origins or not. The best advice I can give to anyone is to use Origins before you realise how limiting Stable is. If you don't want to take my advice, then don't. It's no skin off my back.

Oh, and putting quotation marks around everything makes you look like a pretentious twat.

@[PIE:

> Rodriguez link=topic=57637.msg644257#msg644257 date=1275519153]
> Nice pwnage there Robin. Also, I see you pasted up the fact that someone just called you a chick. ;D
>
> - Adulese

Haha, I just noticed that. xD I'm so used to the OMFG HUGE signatures that people without them get lost.

@DawnOfEarth:

> how about anyone who can source help out at robins descresion and help her out to make the engine what everyone wants she is only one person and has done great job so far

I work by myself. No offence to anyone here, but I don't trust any of them with helping me out.

'scept Rodriguez & Fabio doing maths for me. :3

Finished directional blocking.

Big thanks to Fabio & Dugor for explaining bitwise operators to me. They're going to come in _very_ handy.

![](http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/Kite_Minase/dirblock-1.png)

There's a new option box in the map. As well as 'Layers' and 'Attributes' you now have 'Directional Block'. When you're on this layer the map is covered in little arrows. Green means when you're stood on that tile, you can pass in that direction. Red means you can't. Click the arrows to switch between blocked and unblocked.

This means you can have tiles next to each other that people can't pass between! Of course, the old block attribute can still be used.

@Robin:

> Finished directional blocking.
>
> Big thanks to Fabio & Dugor for explaining bitwise operators to me. They're going to come in _very_ handy.
>
> ![](http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/Kite_Minase/dirblock-1.png)
>
> There's a new option box in the map. As well as 'Layers' and 'Attributes' you now have 'Directional Block'. When you're on this layer the map is covered in little arrows. Green means when you're stood on that tile, you can pass in that direction. Red means you can't. Click the arrows to switch between blocked and unblocked.
>
> This means you can have tiles next to each other that people can't pass between! Of course, the old block attribute can still be used.

nice feature. reminds me of rpg maker 2000\.

Ever thought of just removing block and having directional block automatically 4 blocked. Then allow users to unblock them if they want? This would prevent users from accidentally misusing block and directional block on the same tile or whatever.

Very nice feature, I am a big fan of Rpg Maker.

No I've never thought that. I'll be adding a little circle to the middle of the tile which will switch _all_ four directions to blocked/unblocked.

For most mapping though, the block attribute works fine. It's easier on the eyes too. :P

Directional blocking is only really needed for parts of the map where you don't have an extra tile between walkable areas to create a blockage.

Now that I came back to these forums and saw all the new features you are adding to EO it looks like imma start working on my old game again once this hits a milestone release and start making some of my own edits to it :P

Good work Robin!