Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Eclipse Origins v2 Beta

Robin

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone could please answer these questions about [EO] I would thank eternally.

I waited quite some time and no replys so if anyone could answer them, thanks.

http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,60940.0.html

P.S. Amazing work Robin I am truly amazed.

robin do you know where I can put the updated source into my current origins? xD

edit:
how do i change peoples access because when i select change access  and type in numbers 0 - 5 it says for all of them invalid acces level. thanks for all help ^^

@qwertybobo:

> robin do you know where I can put the updated source into my current origins? xD

If you mean you want to pull your game data over from your current version to the new download, simply copy & paste the files over.

@qwertybobo:

> edit:
> how do I change peoples access because when I select change access  and type in numbers 0 - 5 it says for all of them invalid acces level. thanks for all help ^^

Right click the player in the server's player list and select 'Give Admin'.

EDIT:

Here's a sneaky peak at directional blocking.

![](http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e112/Kite_Minase/directionalblock.png)

@qwertybobo:

> robin how do you edit the scripts like a script editor in origins?

There isn't a script editor as there is no scripting engine.

If you want to change anything you need to edit the source.

@Magdreamer:

> ;D somethings wrong when you don't amaze me.
>
> Nice additions in v1.0.3.
>
> Eclipse Origins is almost as brilliant as the creator(s)

Thanks pal, I appreciate it. Good to see you around here again. <3!

@Anna:

> Well he's working on Combat and the Map Editor right now. So yes sometime down the line this issue will likely be addressed.

Cool. The only reason I ask is because npc arrows would allow for cool games like spaceship battles, and army type games where the enemies actually use guns. Genesis 2d has it, but I find the engine relatively slow. If Robin decided to add this feature (albeit im sure its not easy) the possibilities for game making would expand quite a bit.

Players don't have arrows yet, nevermind NPCs. xD

It's not high on my mental list. First up I want to add NPC spell casting.

And as Anna said, I'm concentrating on fixing up old systems before adding new ones. I'm re-designing the map editor, adding lots of new mapping systems and sorting out the combat formulae.

@Robin:

> Players don't have arrows yet, nevermind NPCs. xD
>
> It's not high on my mental list. First up I want to add NPC spell casting.
>
> And as Anna said, I'm concentrating on fixing up old systems before adding new ones. I'm re-designing the map editor, adding lots of new mapping systems and sorting out the combat formulae.

I wasn't aware player arrows hadn't even been implemented yet. But anyway, I like the direction the engine has gone so far. If you DO decide to add npc arrows(bullets, lasers whatever) at some point I guarantee it will make your engine stand out more from the rest, along with all the other cool features youre implementing. That, and a quest editor would make this engine "Uber l33t" if I may say so.  ;)

@Cheshire:

> @Anna:
>
> > Well he's working on Combat and the Map Editor right now. So yes sometime down the line this issue will likely be addressed.
>
> Cool. The only reason I ask is because npc arrows would allow for cool games like spaceship battles, and army type games where the enemies actually use guns. Genesis 2d has it, but I find the engine relatively slow. If Robin decided to add this feature (albeit im sure its not easy) the possibilities for game making would expand quite a bit.

Yes well there are other design things to consider like how projectiles will work, I know he doesn't like the crappy directional objects. So what, target-specific projectiles? Will there be shooting if there is no target?

Also one thing I've found with mirage based games, is that having mouse-target a tons of things manually is a pain; my right hand is usually near the cursor keys to control character movement, and my left hand is working shift and control to do running and combat. To target with the mouse you have to full stop and click quickly before moving. Maybe a right-click that attacks the tile clicked on? Could be fun for having grenade like projectiles you have to manually fire.

I'd prefer omnidirectional projectiles that can be freely targeted by the player, just for their versatility. Also I don't like how mirage games handle dodging and misses. So auto-targetting projectiles on the target – like with spells -- there better be a modifier for misses then. Or else combat would be about clicking on a target and waiting for it to die or run out of range while you use up arrows/bullets/missiles.

It's more fun if you have to acquire a target for each shot; but this requires micro-managing the mouse, so other control considerations would have to come into play. Maybe right-click walk-to, but then that requires pathfinding AI, and a bunch of other stuff!

Ok I don't know where I'm going with this except every gameplay mechanic has to be well-considered before being added, as other portions of a game and engine are affected by any additions, even if they may not appear to be directly related. Robin's been very good at keeping everything cleaned and well syncronized, but it takes patience to go through all of those potential steps (and besides for the results Robin's been ridiculously fast).

Warning - while you were typing 3 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
:lipsrsealed:

I have a suggestion for the targeting… Implement "press enter to talk" and use space for shifting targets. I'm not sure if this will work for everyone, but I've never had a problem with it in the game I use that hotkey for.

I like the new gui style. It's very classy.

@Harris:

> Epic, how do you make stuff like that?

Rory does the main work. He develops the style, chooses the colour schemes, sorts out the layer properties.

We then take that, work on the GUI layout, all the button animations and the like and violá: Awesome GUI.