Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Android/IOS - The Adventures Of Squirrely

kibbelz

![](https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/152/669/24e1b37a347712077a693c612def0f7b_large.png?1402943071)

Hello community,

Today I'm here to present to you what myself, Murdoc and Azkanan have been up to recently. We've established a small game development company - KAOInteractive. Currently we're in the development stage of various projects which are soon to come out, however, today we're here to show you today our first release - The Adventures Of Squirrely.

Information regarding our new App will be found on our kickstarter: [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/155637597/the-adventures-of-squirrely](https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/155637597/the-adventures-of-squirrely)

whilst our website can be found here: [www.kaointeractive.com](http://www.kaointeractive.com)

![](https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/002/152/657/620cd3065979ffd5e341fdf7fb819f80_large.png?1402942984)

All advice is welcome and will be taken into consideration as we're still developing this App with much more features (now and in the future) than at the time the video was filmed. (Updates will be added soon).

-Kibbelz

No offense, but you didn't convince me.

You seemed rather bored/drunk, and that combined with the small gameplay sneak peak you presented, wich was very simple and boring, nothing too hard to make even for a 10 yo kid.

It's like I would ask here in a thread who can give me 2000$ so I will be able to open my website to host a small game.

Would you help me?

I guess not.

Work more on the presentation and of course the game, please bring something amazing.

Just for fun[btw bring more energy to your video :D]

I understand where Lumiere is coming from - the gameplay shows no challenge, other than hitting jump at certain points, and even that doesn't look too difficult. Also, the camera work is amateurish… Well, regretfully, that's because we are amateurish. We have no funding and no experience. Thank you for your advice, Lumiere. I did have to tone it down a bit though, lest a flamefest of good versus evil busted open ;)

A continuation of what Azkanan has posted, sweaty nerds don't go well with camera's :P. But thanks anyway, We'll take this into consideration for future projects. We'll try to update the video also shortly. Also as for the money we wish to raise as specified already we wish for it to go towards domain names, server hosting for our website, developer licenses (quite expensive and need to be purchased every year) and also funding for future projects.

> and also funding for future projects.

Why would funding for future projects be a required cost for producing a single game? It's in the best interest of the company, sure, but you're not strictly advertising the company. So then, why are you collecting funding for future projects by advertising a single product? Why would I want to fund other potential future products I know nothing about?

I commend you guys for your dedication, everyone has to start somewhere and I wont knock you for trying to establish a small indie company. I might add though, the moment I looked at this I was repelled to play it, I feel like it's a game I've already tried and for that simple reason a lot of people would probably skip this in an app store and search for something a little more interesting looking. 

From these types of side scroll games, there's limited capability as to how far you can stretch the concept, in the end they're picky, it has to be simple, but difficult (but not too difficult) and at the same time it has to be unique. Most of the best games are usually out of boredom, I wouldn't play this if I were bored let alone pay money for it. That's if I were a random person, I'll support the project because I just think it would be nice to help. But it's not fully developed and using this as a way to introduce other projects I don't think was the best idea. 

The point of an indie site is usually to use other games in affiliation to gather a bigger base for yourself, I think you should first start by focusing on seeking out unique projects even if they might be here from eclipse, offer to advertise their game with your growing fan base so far as they agree that their game be apart of your company. So as someone wisely told me, latching out for money at this early of a stage, not the best idea. Get a solid team established with a few products to show, make sure you're prototyping to see what people are more addicted to, then going after money would be a good thing. No one wants to pay for a "we might" finish and have it be a good project. The sharing of resources and connections are more important than money, for now.

- Kid

> I commend you guys for your dedication, everyone has to start somewhere and I wont knock you for trying to establish a small indie company. I might add though, the moment I looked at this I was repelled to play it, I feel like it's a game I've already tried and for that simple reason a lot of people would probably skip this in an app store and search for something a little more interesting looking. 
>
>  
>
> From these types of side scroll games, there's limited capability as to how far you can stretch the concept, in the end they're picky, it has to be simple, but difficult (but not too difficult) and at the same time it has to be unique. Most of the best games are usually out of boredom, I wouldn't play this if I were bored let alone pay money for it. That's if I were a random person, I'll support the project because I just think it would be nice to help. But it's not fully developed and using this as a way to introduce other projects I don't think was the best idea. 
>
>  
>
> The point of an indie site is usually to use other games in affiliation to gather a bigger base for yourself, I think you should first start by focusing on seeking out unique projects even if they might be here from eclipse, offer to advertise their game with your growing fan base so far as they agree that their game be apart of your company. So as someone wisely told me, latching out for money at this early of a stage, not the best idea. Get a solid team established with a few products to show, make sure you're prototyping to see what people are more addicted to, then going after money would be a good thing. No one wants to pay for a "we might" finish and have it be a good project. The sharing of resources and connections are more important than money, for now.
>
>  
>
> - Kid

Best critique I've heard in awhile. Thanks for the comments as well. I agree with almost everything you said. We hope that in time we can establish ourselves well enough to be taken seriously. For now we are doing what you said and prototyping, seeing what catches peoples interests and what not. As far as this game in particular, we have made some more progress since the video. There are 4 enemies: Cats, Bats, Spiders, and Crows. And you can now obtain two different types of power ups: Gold Acorns which give you unlimited ammo, and "Flower Power" for invincibility. Besides this project we've been heavily working on another online title, but it's too early in development to release any information.

All that aside. We are proactively listening and taking into consideration what people think about this game and our approach as a starting indie company. All critique is welcome, because we know we're not perfect.

Thanks again,

Murdoc

Best of luck to you guys, just make sure to do something well no matter how simple of a game you make. For instance, if you make a puzzle game like Candy Crush, but make a twist to it that is better than making a generic platformer with art that isn't that compelling. Use your limitations as your strengths against other games, because if you try to do too much you will fail. Know your limits and know them well.

I applaud the professionalism in your efforts and your team's openness to critique.

When I see the way you guys accept the harsh criticism thrown your way by everyone, I can imagine your team going far!

You're on the right track, just keep working hard.

On a side note, "KAO" is a vulgarity in a Chinese dialect so the name is kind of funny to me :p

Well if we didn't listen to people we would never improve or get anywhere, we take criticism as a positive rather than a negative as after all its a lot more useful than 'nice, looks good' etc but nice comments are welcome too.

I'll be watching you guys haha, but if I might add.. I highly suggest you guys go through an entire game design document process of games you come up with and plan everything out, including how you want to market the game as well if its a game you'll be selling. When we first began, projects for my developer family were usually just mentioned, and than pursued with no actual full plan behind it and well, that's where we went wrong with Psithyroi Online if you were around for that project. 

When a big idea comes to you, no matter how good it sounds to make or how ever tempted you might get, make sure you compare it to the resources you have at hand. Ask yourselves how much time would be needed to ensure the project will make it somewhere, and at which point (if you do decide to place a price on said project) would be a good idea to introduce it to Kickstarter, Indiegogo, itch.io, etc to raise funds. How ever much you might feel the need for money to further your team as a whole, it wont come unless you're presenting something you yourself would throw money at. I'm sure you guys already knew that but just including my bits. 

Look forward to seeing where you guys go :) you seem to have a pretty good team already, hopefully you wont go through the process of having to recruit new members because of a loss of another. That is pretty horrifying on its own.