Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Photoshop Game Art

Murdoc

In this thread I'll be periodically showcasing game art that I attempt in Photoshop.

**Experiment 1:**

In this one I'm playing around with textures and cartoon styled, minimalistic painting.

![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/2c43e8999bbd2962ab6a062eb41a6f52.jpg)

**Experiment 2:**

Here I abandoned textures, and used various brushes to paint the background and sprite.

![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/d605c4842aab4a47db5c279267799650.jpg)

Well that was a pretty horryfying start of the day. I don't think I can say much, it's like when your child draws something, you can only pat it on the back and say "beautifull son".

Please, don't attempt to draw anything with a mouse ever again, nobody can do that and not come out as handicaped.

> Well that was a pretty horryfying start of the day. I don't think I can say much, it's like when your child draws something, you can only pat it on the back and say "beautifull son".
>
> Please, don't attempt to draw anything with a mouse ever again, nobody can do that and not come out as handicaped.

pls

[http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/253/9/8/jrp_dragon_online_album_by_tianajrp-d49hxv7.png](http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/253/9/8/jrp_dragon_online_album_by_tianajrp-d49hxv7.png)

i drew that with a mouse. And nice you create an account just to say this?

On the other hand murdoc, I really have no comment on this lol

Looks pretty interesting, though the trees are very weird shaded and the texture is bad, same goes for the rock or whatever is that :D

As for characters, well they look however you wanted them to look, are pretty ok, but the Wizard's robe shouldn't be shiny like that, only if he is wearing some kind of blue rain coat.

1\. Have a source light wich will affect ALL your Objects not only your characters.

2\. Keep in mind the materials for the clothes, what they are made of, not all of them are shiny like that when you have a light source.

3\. You need to work more on textures and how to shade them properly, don't over complicate things, don't add useless effects.

Lumiere, are you some kind of an unmatched, world known artist, whose word should be law for me? If no then I think I'll stick to my opinions, especialy since Yumi was so kind to totally reasure them.

Drawing with a mouse is good for children or pixelartists, find me a single person in the games industry or someone who lives out of drawing CGI, or just seriously takes what he draws, who won't laugh at you for saying otherwise.

Go buy a tablet, cheapest Intuos is less than 100 bucks, and that's the point where we can begin any serious critique or discussions about drawing, because if you'd ask any kind of professional for advice, he won't be able to give you any feedback past "don't draw with a mouse" untill you actually stop doing that.

I kind of agree with Lumiere. It isn't just the tool used to create the art. It's mainly the persons skill level both with the art style and the tool used. I am no artist but I think I can create decently but I did this in like 10 mins this morning with no photoshop exp to prove you just need practice. And I don't condone the disrespect of someone else's work. Hey Murdock I just say try and make the knife a little straighter and It would look kind of makes me feel nostalgic for some reason lol good work…

> Lumiere, are you some kind of an unmatched, world known artist, whose word should be law for me? If no then I think I'll stick to my opinions, especialy since Yumi was so kind to totally reasure them.
>
>  
>
> Drawing with a mouse is good for children or pixelartists, find me a single person in the games industry or someone who lives out of drawing CGI, or just seriously takes what he draws, who won't laugh at you for saying otherwise.
>
> Go buy a tablet, cheapest Intuos is less than 100 bucks, and that's the point where we can begin any serious critique or discussions about drawing, because if you'd ask any kind of professional for advice, he won't be able to give you any feedback past "don't draw with a mouse" untill you actually stop doing that.

I don't have to be a world known artist to say that you don't need a tablet to draw whatever you want.

Yumi's example wasn't a perfect one, but you should accept that there are more ways to draw whatever you want other than a tablet.

It's like saying to a right handed: "_don't learn to draw with your left hand_", that's just bad advice and obviously you are not related in any way to any kind of art.

The more you work, the better you get at everything, there is no limit. ;)

Free drawing with a mouse is hard if you are not used to it.

But there are Pen Tools for LineArt.

If you use a mouse, then use LineArt, because is fast and precise and you can even simulate pen pressure.

**A true artist doesn't limit himself, he will use whatever he got.**

**Having a Tablet is more of a Prefference, not a Must
!**

I'm into digital art since 1998.

> Looks pretty interesting, though the trees are very weird shaded and the texture is bad, same goes for the rock or whatever is that :D
>
> As for characters, well they look however you wanted them to look, are pretty ok, but the Wizard's robe shouldn't be shiny like that, only if he is wearing some kind of blue rain coat.
>
>  
>
> 1\. Have a source light wich will affect ALL your Objects not only your characters.
>
> 2\. Keep in mind the materials for the clothes, what they are made of, not all of them are shiny like that when you have a light source.
>
> 3\. You need to work more on textures and how to shade them properly, don't over complicate things, don't add useless effects.

Thanks for the constructive feedback.

The inspiration for this particular "experiment" (we'll call it that lol) came to me after watching a youtube vid, where some guy was using similiar (albeit probably a little more polished) technique for sprites and other background bits. Personally, I'm not too happy with the way textures generally work on pieces but then again I only have the default ones installed in Photoshop so who knows. I also didn't spend very much time on the shading as I was really just playin around to see what a quick attempt might look like. 

As far as the discussion about mouse vs tablet. I have a tablet actually, and I have to say that it's really only good for tracing lines over a picture you've already drawn on paper and scanned. Could just be me, but whenever I use the tablet for drawing the lines come out worse than when I use a mouse (something that could just take more practice of course). Sometimes it's better to not have outlines at all, in which case a tablet is not required.

Thanks again,

Murdoc

> Playin around in photoshop with textures and cartoon painting.
>
>  
>
> ![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/2c43e8999bbd2962ab6a062eb41a6f52.jpg)

It looks very wrong, except the characters and grass, which are 4, respectively 6 on a scale from 1 to 10.

1\. clouds shouldn't be all blured out, make all layers of the clouds into a smart layer and apply Gaussian Blur, then click on the mask from the left of the effect and do a gradient so clouds are blured out near the horizon line.

2\. don't make the horizon line a straight line, landscapes have mountains, hills, and other stuff.

3\. the grass texture from under the brushes is too repetitive, you could add another layer of grass smaller than the one you already have in order to obscure the view of the texture a bit, and the longer you look in the horizon the smaller grass should be, so make a higher difference in size between the close grass and the far one.

4\. don't add shadow to trees from the effects. instead duplicate the layer and warp it over the grass, then apply gaussian blur, change opacity to 60%, fill to 0% and add a color overlay of black and put it on overlay (never tried with overlay before, just thought about it right now, so it might not look that good)

5\. the characters don't have shadows, follow up the same process from before.

6\. the menu isn't centered, and the "selected" image (the oval with red gradient and yellow stroke) could be a simple gradient overlay with black and black, one black transparent, mirrored, and on vertical, then every other effect disabled and fill to 0%.

That's all, I think. And for the argue before, yes, you can create stuff with mouse, but you can't do it on the same level as graphic tablet users, but they can do stuff on the same level as you (IF both users would have the same knowledge and skill)

Clouds can be blurred, it might have a logic here [intentional or not], but the Main Focus is on Characters, so the back stuff is Unfocused, so it will appear blurry.

He never said what the background scene is, so it can be flat and straight.

Though he doesn't have a perspective in the drawing.

@Murdoc, when drawing such things, make sure you come up with a Perspective, wich is very important, I suggest you to learn all kind of Perspectives, from 1 point to 2 points perspective, etc.

But seriously, look at that guy.

I mean he have 2 posts created, all 2 were to criticize murdoc.

Not sure if someone got super butthurt or

too afraid to criticize Murdoc with their main account.

And wow murdoc no applaud for me for defending you? .____________________.

For my second experiment I did a similiar scene, utilizing different techniques. Instead of heavy use of textures, I used various brushes to create texture, and shaded using the dodge & burn tools. Critique is always welcome.

![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/d605c4842aab4a47db5c279267799650.jpg)

> But seriously, look at that guy.
>
> I mean he have 2 posts created, all 2 were to criticize murdoc.
>
> Not sure if someone got super butthurt or
>
> too afraid to criticize Murdoc with their main account.
>
> And wow murdoc no applaud for me for defending you?

You described everything that is wrong with small communities on the internet in one post, by using the exact same logic that stants behind newfag / oldfag differenciations on 4chan.

And the idea you expect praise for it is rather entertaining.

Lumiere, please don't give me "true artist" speaches, because a true artist wouldn't limit his potential by picking the worst possible tool to do what he calls his passion and then tell everyone around how much of an educated choice it was. The fact that you're into digital for 16 years and you paint with a mouse is not something you should addmit in public. [This girl](http://loish.net/) started doing digital painting around 2006, Marek Okon submited his first drawing on Deviantart in 2004, this is the [drawing he submited](http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs5/i/2004/291/3/4/Sarah_25_by_OmeN2501.jpg) and this is [his portfolio now](http://www.okonart.com/#portfolio&illustrations&83), and yes, you saw his works before because he's one of the leading professionals in the industry.

Those are artists, you are using a mouse.

I didn't came here with intent of starting arguments or making anyone uncomfortable, but please, reconsider how close-minded you come out as.

As for the second picture, you're getting the hang of colors this time, generally the less flashy brushes you use the better (that grass in your first one, never again), also, dodge and burn is a pretty basic and actually bad way of working with colors. Best practice is to actually pick a darker color and play around with brush flow and opacity sliders, that way colors act like you're actually painting with them, not applying cheap effects. All those tools like smudge, burn and dodge are there for people editing photos, you don't paint with those.

> You described everything that is wrong with small communities on the internet in one post, by using the exact same logic that stants behind newfag / oldfag differenciations on 4chan.
>
> And the idea you expect praise for it is rather entertaining.
>
>  
>
> Lumiere, please don't give me "true artist" speaches, because a true artist wouldn't limit his potential by picking the worst possible tool to do what he calls his passion and then tell everyone around how much of an educated choice it was. The fact that you're into digital for 16 years and you paint with a mouse is not something you should addmit in public. [This girl](http://loish.net/) started doing digital painting around 2006, Marek Okon submited his first drawing on Deviantart in 2004, this is the [drawing he submited](http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs5/i/2004/291/3/4/Sarah_25_by_OmeN2501.jpg) and this is [his portfolio now](http://www.okonart.com/#portfolio&illustrations&83), and yes, you saw his works before because he's one of the leading professionals in the industry.
>
>  
>
> Those are artists, you are using a mouse.
>
> I didn't came here with intent of starting arguments or making anyone uncomfortable, but please, reconsider how close-minded you come out as.
>
>  
>
> As for the second picture, you're getting the hang of colors this time, generally the less flashy brushes you use the better (that grass in your first one, never again), also, dodge and burn is a pretty basic and actually bad way of working with colors. Best practice is to actually pick a darker color and play around with brush flow and opacity sliders, that way colors act like you're actually painting with them, not applying cheap effects. All those tools like smudge, burn and dodge are there for people editing photos, you don't paint with those.

Art is subjective; therefore, the criteria that must be met to be considered a "true artist" is as well.

> You described everything that is wrong with small communities on the internet in one post, by using the exact same logic that stants behind newfag / oldfag differenciations on 4chan.
>
> And the idea you expect praise for it is rather entertaining.
>
>  
>
> Lumiere, please don't give me "true artist" speaches, because a true artist wouldn't limit his potential by picking the worst possible tool to do what he calls his passion and then tell everyone around how much of an educated choice it was. The fact that you're into digital for 16 years and you paint with a mouse is not something you should addmit in public. [This girl](http://loish.net/) started doing digital painting around 2006, Marek Okon submited his first drawing on Deviantart in 2004, this is the [drawing he submited](http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs5/i/2004/291/3/4/Sarah_25_by_OmeN2501.jpg) and this is [his portfolio now](http://www.okonart.com/#portfolio&illustrations&83), and yes, you saw his works before because he's one of the leading professionals in the industry.
>
>  
>
> Those are artists, you are using a mouse.
>
> I didn't came here with intent of starting arguments or making anyone uncomfortable, but please, reconsider how close-minded you come out as.
>
>  
>
> As for the second picture, you're getting the hang of colors this time, generally the less flashy brushes you use the better (that grass in your first one, never again), also, dodge and burn is a pretty basic and actually bad way of working with colors. Best practice is to actually pick a darker color and play around with brush flow and opacity sliders, that way colors act like you're actually painting with them, not applying cheap effects. All those tools like smudge, burn and dodge are there for people editing photos, you don't paint with those.

oh did you call someone a newfag. Cuz you seem new around here

I do stuff for teh lolz. Expect funny shiet to come from me.

I'm going to start the hate with one of my most hated quote of all the time: "Why ya'll so srs. Go watch some dunkey"

Art in fact, is far from being subjective. It can be defined, recognized and discussed. That's probably why there are so many books writen on it, and why people actually study it. It's subjective wheather you like a given piece or not. Throwing those sorts of absolute "truths" around doesn't bring anything into any discussion.

No Yumi, I didn't call anyone a newfag and I'm sure you would know that if you'd read what I did write. And you don't have to cover up immaturity with "I did it for the lolz". Some people are already past their early teens and just don't fall for it.

What I'm trying to tell you is objective and won't change just because you decided to not agree - if you have three people with the exact talent and skill in what they do, one who is using [this](http://www.photo-dictionary.com/photofiles/list/439/811computer_mouse.jpg) will never produce anything better than what the next one can do with [this](http://eu.shop.wacom.eu/images/articles/6de59897e0bafd92766d864aad75c7a5_8.jpg), and that one will never do anything as good as the one using [this](http://eu.shop.wacom.eu/images/articles/ddbe1671211cb75b257069c5fcaf6d66_8.jpg). Go on, join a CGI oriented facebook group like Level Up!, or better, email a professional - those people do respond to mail. Saying that a mouse is great way of doing things instead of actually trying to be better by buying a tool, that would broaden your possibilities (apparently beyond your comprehension) for an equivalent of less than 20 BigMac meals can only be explained with backwards thinking, lazines or being so full of oneself not to see a possibility for improvement.

TLDR a mildly talented ten year old with an Ipad has better means of expressing itself than you do with a mouse.

Go on, blame and bash me for taking up the discussion, better yet, ignore me compleatly and resume back-patting eachother. Drawing with a mouse is perfectly viable way of producing graphics. Just as using bubble gum instead of glue is a perfectly viable way of assembling aircraft models.

My drawings with a mouse are actually far better than mine with any form of pen/pencil/stylus if I went out and spent £30 on a drawing tablet it would be a complete waste of time and money

That's obviously fault of the pens you were using. Not lack of practice or skill. It's never your falt my friend. God just never wanted you to be any better with it.

Google "potential".

> It can be defined, recognized and discussed.

You just defeated your own argument within the second sentence of your long, unintelligible rant. For one, Art is entirely subjective, and I can't stand the pretentious, artsy types that act as though they're able to define an absolute standard for art as if they're formulating mathematical laws. Art is something that is observed and liked or disliked entirely within the human mind. It isn't a physical quantity that we can judge based on fundamental principles inherent to our Universe. I can't formulate a universal law that dictates what makes good art and what doesn't – this same concept applies to morals, which are also subjective.

With that said, you can recommend that Murdoc follow an art style that would better appeal to the masses, and you can even set criteria that he must meet in order to become an artist by your standards, but you cannot form or impose a universal standard that he must meet in order to become a "true artist."

Due to your pretentious attitude and the level of elitism that you display -- at least some of the other elitists in this community offer constructive advice every once in awhile -- I would recommend that you find an environment better suited for people like yourself.