Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[PS] Quick Tree Tutorial

Ezemel

**Note**: This is just a tutorial, I didn't go crazy about looking too good, but is better than nothing.

First of, you arrange your Work Space.

Then you select a nice brush wich will allow you to make some nice shapes with it.

For this tutorial I picked Caligraphic one.

>! ![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/aa399556c3ffc2fd6cda284b26caa295.png)

Now, Imagine an empty tree shape [no leaves], good.

Start drwing that shape, doesn't have to be perfect, you can adjust it later if you want.

>! ![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/83b2941f4852ea25227e3222bea7cab9.png)

Create New Layer 

Start adding some branches, don't go too crazy with them, since this is just a quick made tree.

>! ![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/163a4e7d7b3679498fdc10a9f3e66271.png)

Good, after you arrange everything however you wanted, merge the layers.

Duplicate the tree shape, just in case you make some mistakes.

We will use Burn and Dodge Tools for shading.

Start first by adding Shadow, just a quick one, where you think the light cannot reach too well.

Now, Pick the Dodge Tool, and make some highlights and of course the bark texture.

Then pick up again the Burn Tool, and add the Dark areas, to give some kind of depth to the texture.

>! ![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/7110a55d1f82235f29faab5b8c5b3c8e.png)

Now you want to start working on your leaves.

Select again a nice brush, for this one, I selected again the Caligraphic one.

Press F5 or Window>Brushes

Check Shape Dynamics and Scattering[important]

Play with the setting until you're satisfied.

Leaves should be Dark to Highlight, make layers for each of them.

Start making the shape you want, then add lights and highlights on top of the dark ones.

Don't go too crazy, 4 - 5 colors are enough.

The brach having the leaves more to the back where the light cannot reach that good, you should press Ctrl+U, to turn the Luminosity a bit down, to give a nice depth.

>! ![](http://eclipseorigins.com/community/filehost/32a6cc68dd83952aee411cf5aeca14fa.png)

This is just One of the Many posibilities of making a tree, but this one is simple enough for everyone, since you just need Imagination or an image as reference.

The rest is just a play with the brushes and settings.

Yep, I always draw with a mouse.

I use the tablet only when I got work to do for someone else, because they usually ask complex things like scenes and such for games.

Before I had a tablet I always sketched by hand on paper, scanned and used LineArt in Photoshop, if the job was to draw characters or scenes.

It's the same thing as having a tablet but with a few draw backs, nothing too hard.

btw, LineArt is used in anime too :P

Nice tutorial :)

I don't agree on using burn/dodge to shade though. I think choosing your color palette and painting the shades on gives a much better result when done properly!

Burn and Dodge doesn't play with Hue value so it just darkens and lightens, giving a boring "white light source" final palette.

> Learning bad habits is never good. If you make a tutorial, **why** teach others to use techniques you know are bad?

> I agree Rory, but those who still have no knowledge in chromatology, burn n dodge **will help understanding the shading better than having to choose a certain palette**, wich can be pretty hard for newbies. :P

If you play with burn and dodge, you will learn how to use the Lights and Shadows

You will learn to imagine a Light Source and where shadows should be because you got only 1 color, and all you do is to put light and shadows.

When you are all clear, you can start learning about colors.

**I never said burn n dodge is bad.**

**I just agreed that people shouldn't use in their WORK burn n dodge as the MAIN shading tools.**

**BUT they CAN use them for Learning Purposes.**

**You can learn many stuff by playing with burn n dodge, you don't have to be limited only to color palettes to learn how to shade.**

I don't quite understand the problem with the method applied here. I felt like the outcome was very, very nice looking.

Why do computer artists try to conform so much? I thought that artists were supposedly free to express themselves.

> I don't quite understand the problem with the method applied here. I felt like the outcome was very, very nice looking.
>
>  
>
> Why do computer artists try to conform so much? I thought that artists were supposedly free to express themselves.

It's not as much about conforming, if the end result looks good it's not that important how someone achieves it, then again, if someone is taught bad practices especially as a beginer the probability of his works looking good goes down. You don't teach a child to draw with the wrong end of a pencil. And I think we're discussing a tutorial on how to draw a basic tree for a video game, not a gallery exhibition.

Using burn and dodge looks unrealistic and ugly and IS a bad practice, just as using eye-burning fluorescent greens.

Static Mesh, nothing is a bad practice, everything  can be useful, only your limited mind cannot understand that.

You don't even have the guts to reply to my argues, instead you go for the one you think you can have some argues.

This is becoming like the past thread, where a "smart" guy like you argued that an artist cannot be an artist without his Tablet.

Maybe you are the same guy, [Impostor, Kusy]

I'm not replying to your argues because I don't want to argue, nothing to do with guts. I say what I think on the subject, and you say what you think on the subject, and then it's up to the reader to form an opinion. Argues are bad. Just as bad as using burn and dodge. Becaaause weeeell… it's bad practice. Why? Obviously because I say so.