Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

STOP USING VB6\. RIGHT NOW.

java

Hey guys.

I am a MASSIVE supporter of VB6\. It is the first programming language I ever learnt, thanks to Mirage and Eclipse back in '05\.

The problem is that it is no longer supported – almost entirely unsupported by Microsoft. While arguable, one cannot argue that one day in the near, forseeable future VB6 will become the next DOS.

Listen to me -- every day on the shoutbox and on these and misc other forums I hear people ramble on about how they're going to make stuff in VB6 which will one day be "massive" or "kind of popular". VB6 should from 2011 be considered a dead language. In 2011 when Microsoft releases Studio 2012, chances are that the framework and runtimes associated with it will in no way support VB6\. Basically, this means that people who buy new computers from then on will have to install shitloads of OLD updates to run your software. Sure, basic VB6 software will run. But using old codecs or components which are currently barely supported, it will die. This applies to almost everything - ESPECIALLY WINSOCK.

Peace.

This is not a rant. I am trying to help.

Learn Java - I started 2 years ago and now never regret it. It took a while for me to grasp it after VB6, but after getting the basic concept it flows in my veins just like HTML.

@NGHS:

> God, its taken you this long to post this?
> We should have stoped VB6 when barons EE1 came out…....

I've been saying this around these forums since end of 2008, mate ;)

(note i've had multiple accounts here)

I commend HM highly on porting to Java, regardless of how long it takes. As long as Eclipse makes it to the new world before it's too late…

I agree we should have stopped in ee1\. Quite frankly i think it should have been ported to .NET right then. But nobody had the time, and not many had the skills to port it efficiently.

I agree with Ollie.
VB6 is a dead language, and the next operating system after Windows 7 will no longer support vb6-compiled applications.
I discussed this strongly (as well as my argument that C# is not worth learning) in that old debate: http://www.touchofdeathforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,46145.0.html (which is an encouraging read).

Ollie, you're an idiot. Anyone who mentions HTML in the same post as Java and Visual Basic obviously has never programmed anything in their life.

Oh, and this stuff kicked off in 2005 when Vista was announced. You're 5 years too late to join the hype, pal.

And it won't be runtime dependencies that kill vb6, it'll be the fact that any control that uses the internet won't be able to handle the switch over to IPv6.