Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Battle for Wesnoth

balliztik1

Does anyone play Battle for Wesnoth? Beau recently showed me this game, and I absolutely love it.

Not only is it a sound turn-based strategy game, but it also provides an editor that people have used to make tactical RPG style adventures, where you lead a small band of heroes on a dungeon trek. On top of that, everything is wonderfully done. The graphics are all very nicely done. The particle effects used for some spells are wonderfully animated. My favourite part by far, though, is the music. I'm unsure if they are original compositions or not, but their collection of game tracks really sets the mood, and has quickly made its impression.

If you haven't played it, give it a try. There's tons of mods for it, all downloadable from within the game client, so there's endless opportunities. It allows multiplayer on a single computer, LAN play, direct connection play, or matchmaking on their official server, so whether you like single player, team play, or head-to-head matches, there's probably a niche in Wesnoth for you.

[Battle for Wesnoth](http://www.wesnoth.org/)

Anthony, Mickcy, Jonathan and I used to play this several months ago, but the current Ubuntu update caused an annoying bug in the game where the mouse doesn't work properly when not playing in fullscreen.

Regards,
  Stephan.

@Anna:

> I did when I first heard about it here like a year ago.
>
> I haven't played it since I got this newer computer, I might try it if other people are down. Maybe we can get a mp match going?
> :azn:

Were there people before our group? Since our group is still interested, although that bug is annoying.

Regards,
  Stephan.

Played this a while ago, loved the campaign mode. The one with Konrad and Li'sar, can't remember the name, was my favorite. Then I played one or two more campaigns before downloading some add-ons. I tried to play multiplayer, but didn't find it as fun, so I ended up messing around with the Markup language so I could find some of the Easter Eggs. There's a lot of them in the Konrad and Li'sar one. I'd be willing to play again if the rest of you feel like it.

Yeah one thing though is I get really frustrated with these games because I hate having casualties. Even nobody basic grunt characters I can't stand to let die (this made TacticsOgre an extremely hard game for me). So I might not play too much if I it stresses me out!
XD

@Stephan:

> @Kreator:
>
> > HAH same. I get attached to my evolved blood bat, then it gets fucked up by a yeti, or ambushed by like half a dozen warriors.
>
> Or it gets trolled by a troll ;D.
>
> Regards,
>   Stephan.

![](http://www.killmydaynow.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/funny_books_012.jpg)
Or your Wolf Rider crosses the street.

I hate trolls. Derrick tried to disperse my undead army with like a dozen of them. I cut off his resources, pushed him into a small section of the map, surrounded him. Noticing a far road, I sent out a smaller army to flank him, or to possibly counteract him from doing the same. Both armies met at battle, at a series of chokepoints, until his resources died off, after sending bats to scout and capture buildings in his territory. Evolving my units with experience, I made the final frontier, destroying his army, and his leader.

Beau and I played a match in a map called Temples of the Naga. It's so fun but difficult. We really need 4 people, I think, to have a fair chance at it. It's a survival map with waves of enemies. After I got trounced, Beau dug into a corner with one guy and managed to hold them off. The result was a huge amount of lag as the map just kept filling with enemies. I ended up getting disconnected because I lagged so hard.

You lagged in a turn-based game? wtf?

@Anna:

> Yeah one thing though is I get really frustrated with these games because I hate having casualties. Even nobody basic grunt characters I can't stand to let die (this made TacticsOgre an extremely hard game for me). So I might not play too much if I it stresses me out!
> XD

I am the exact same way. I couldn't ever get far into the game because of my extreme connection to even the most useless unit.

@[Cake:

> In7el3ct link=topic=61415.msg650181#msg650181 date=1276716167]
> You lagged in a turn-based game? wtf?

It's played over a server, so yes, it can lag. The final blow to the connection was it spawning in ~30 new units on top of the 100+ that were already present. The connection couldn't handle so many units at once, I guess. xD