Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to keep myself interested in learning Java.

Colonello

I apologize if I have placed this in the wrong section of the forums i'm very new to this section specifically. Anyway I have been trying to learn java for a very long time but it's almost impossible for me to stay focused on actually learning it. I've always been obsessed with Java because my favorite childhood game RuneScape was created with it. I've attempted to watch a video series in which I stopped after a few days and wanted to come back to it a week later but had literally forgotten everything I had learned. I also ordered a Java book called "Java A Beginner's Guide Fifth Edition" which is by Herbert Schildt. I read a few pages of the book and for some reason just stopped. I'd like to be able to learn and put this book to good use but I want to keep myself interested in learning. If anyone has any tips to keep me entertained/engaged in learning Java please comment them below. Also if anyone has tips about remembering this information and not forgetting it a few days later please comment those too! Thank you in advance.

What do you want to do with Java? If you just want your own RSPS, then I can send you some source. But don't confuse making a few edits with it with "knowing Java". I was personally offput by the Eclipse IDE and opted for C# instead, so I can't really help you out there. If you're interested in making games, look for some graphical libraries for Java like Slick2D or something to bring that "achievement" feeling while you're still learning. Look up video tutorials if you need them. Just, always try to learn something new, and don't force yourself to like it.

> What do you want to do with Java? If you just want your own RSPS, then I can send you some source. But don't confuse making a few edits with it with "knowing Java". I was personally offput by the Eclipse IDE and opted for C# instead, so I can't really help you out there. If you're interested in making games, look for some graphical libraries for Java like Slick2D or something to bring that "achievement" feeling while you're still learning. Look up video tutorials if you need them. Just, always try to learn something new, and don't force yourself to like it.

Well my main reason for wanting to make java is games. Although at one time I was interested in making a RSPS. Also thank you for the tips and I will definitely try these out.

> Do you have minecraft? Create plugins for bukkit (Minecraft servers) [http://bukkit.org/](http://bukkit.org/) It helps with ideas, most plugins are small but in the end could help you with other projects.

Yeah I do actually. I was pretty addicted to it for a very long time but still play it at least an hour or two a day. :p Thank you for this because I think this will really help keep me motivated especially since i'll be working on something I love.

Check out some game programming tutorials. The Cherno Project's one is really good. It'll keep you hooked. Be warned though you'll need the basics in Java or any other modern language like C#. 

I don't suggest creating plugins for Minecraft for learning. It'll just put you off thinking that Java is too hard to program in because of how hard it is to make a plugin/mod.

> Check out some game programming tutorials. The Cherno Project's one is really good. It'll keep you hooked. Be warned though you'll need the basics in Java or any other modern language like C#. 
>
> I don't suggest creating plugins for Minecraft for learning. It'll just put you off thinking that Java is too hard to program in because of how hard it is to make a plugin/mod.

I'll check this out and hold off on plugins until I can get better at Java than.

> Stop typing and checking for advice.
>
>  
>
> Instead actually try to force yourself to study?
>
>  
>
> Open source stuffs are usually the best way to learn imo.

I've started to force myself to read the book and i'm starting to understand some of the basic stuff. Also i'll dig around the code of some open source projects once I get these basics down.