Find results in...

C+ orpg engine

Xx pr0c0d3r xX

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi every1 Xx pr0c0d3r xX here i added the first steps to the map editor mode

i made a small gui 4 the tile selection and some other stuff and added commands u can check the sources if u want 2 c

i need 2 add 2 things 1 is tilegroups 2 the tile selection gui cuz now it bugs it a bit but expected and other 1 is tile component system 2 the tile selection + gui for it

1 cool thing is that the map modifications are sent on the fly so u can edit the map with mutliple people and u can trap ur friends inside ~~obsidian~~ giant dildos lol

![](http://i.imgur.com/1UdKbXS.png)

> Pro Tip: This could be the greatest thing since sliced bread but your grammar and spelling is going to make people think twice.

Agreed, this made me think at first he stole the code and claimed it as his own, because he said I am a pro coder and used a generic name like ORPGClient.

hi marsh theres 1 triple nested loop there but there wasnt b4

b4 it was a stl list of shared_ptr, but obv it was difficult to access the elements by position

i couldve saved the position inside the tiles themselves, but it doesnt solve the accessing efficiency problem

thats y i asked 4 feedback about the data structure used 4 the Terrain, do u have any idea?

Yeah, procoder, I highly suggest typing like you are a grown up because it is hard to believe that you made this and know what you are talking about with how you type. Other then that I haven't checked it out because I can't take you seriously when you type like that.

> hi marsh theres 1 triple nested loop there but there wasnt b4
> b4 it was a stl list of shared_ptr, but obv it was difficult to access the elements by position
> i couldve saved the position inside the tiles themselves, but it doesnt solve the accessing efficiency problem
>  
> thats y i asked 4 feedback about the data structure used 4 the Terrain, do u have any idea?

Just use a list or a array like you had before. Some pretty simple math based on what x and y your character is standing on can determine the tile index based on how you drew it. What are you doing with the tiles in that for loop?

hi every1 Xx pr0c0d3r xX here i made a bunch of mods and fixes 4 the c+ engine

obv the number of changes is very big but the 1 most important thing is the components selection window which lets u pick the components 4 the tiles u put

the gui will change depending on the components available **and the properties needed 4 this component**

so this brings 1 important design decision! i want the components for the entities 2 be modulable and plug n play, but the spawner tile component will need 2 know about the entities components and their properties. obv with little entities components its ez, but wat if u have so many that it fills the components selection window 4 the spawner component beyond scroll?? so the idea is 2 create an entity creation tool 2 create entity "templates" with a set of components. 

1 other important thing is that right now all the gui is coded by hand, so i have stuff like guisquare and guifield which really is just boilerplate stuff so i need to think about maybe using an external gui system. what i can do 2 is 2 use both the external and internal gui stuff together idk. the problem is that i know someday ill need radio buttons and tabs and other widgets and i dont want 2 code that kind of stuff

1 other important thing is that the netcode dont have server side lag compensation. itd be ez enuff 4 someone 2 add it directly in the network manager but i wont 4 now, so sometimes entities will tp around or desync will happen. on the flipside i fixed a curious bug about something something network login something something rage so b happy

1 other important thing is that the map editor dont display the tile components on the map 4 now and the map editor dont have something 2 change map size but this may come in a command bcuz and u cant remove components yet lol

the last but most important thing is that i need feedback about problems i may have not thought about 4 the components system plz thx

![](http://i.imgur.com/KJ8LZBq.png)