Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

C+ orpg engine

Xx pr0c0d3r xX

hi its Xx pr0c0d3r xX and 2day im gonna show u my c+ orpg engine

its not finish yet

screenshot : [http://i.imgur.com/VirUTdw.png](http://i.imgur.com/VirUTdw.png)

2 compile u will need a c++11 compiler, sfml2 and raknet

also the music and the gfx cant b used in ur projects but the fonts are free to use in a commercial project

u can change the ip the client connects 2 in the ip.txt file where the clients executable is and the port is 2703 always

2 test the build u need 2 dl the client and server, unzip them both and then u run the server and after u run the client

this build is not meant for end users and u wont b able 2 create ur own game yet

im looking 4 feedback about the entity component system, the serialization methods used in the code, the network protocol and the data structures which i should use for the terrain

also id need tips from an expert in multithreaded programming as to parallelize the entities update loops

if u have questions ask plz i will answer

c ya dont b 2 mean plz

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything about this post is sketch as hell. On the other hand the code seems to be there. It isnt the best thing I have ever seen as far as coding standards or the way things are done. But it is also not the worst thing I have ever seen. This is just a quick 5 minute look at the source. Never ran anything.

Also what the heck does thing do and why is there a thing component and a thingcomponentfactory. Not sure how much of this is sfml but it seems to be way more files then neccessary for the screenshot that is provided.

hi marsh the thingcomponent is the base class for all components in the engine

a thingcomponent is a functionality for a thing. a thing is an entity. if u look at it from the client, all the things which are displayed are in the thingsmanager. every game iteration theres a call to thingsmanager::update and thingsmanager::draw. inside those methods, all the update and draw methods are called. u can read more about it here : [http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/component.html](http://gameprogrammingpatterns.com/component.html), especially the code example part from which the thing class is based off.

thingcomponentfactory is necessary to be able to reconstruct the right thing component from the name of the component when reading from a file or from the server

important to note is that on the server, theres one thingmanager for each terrain

im a pro coder

i like Thing because its nifty and sweet. i know u mean it doesnt say much about what the class do, but neither does entity, except for the fact people recognize that term for a set of behaviours expected from an entity class, but theyll recognize those behaviours from a quick look at the code, namely the position and id. then theyll b able to c the component and messaging system there

also what do u mean by coding standards? what should b better?

I spy with my little eye, someone who plays LoL. Name and server?

Anyway, I personally think it looks pretty average of all of the current unfinished engines we have lurking on the forums. I hope it actually gets completed, that would be in my opinion impressive.

Best of luck,

-Kibbelz

> Anyway, I personally think it looks pretty average of all of the current unfinished engines we have lurking on the forums.
> -Kibbelz

Its in c++ that counts for a lot. Even if its not finished could be a good base for someone to continue.

Well, hopefully this engine does get off the ground, but procoder, I'll tell you now, you may want to make it so it's not running batch, it's less sketchy that way and usually can do more. But all in all, not bad from what you've shown, just different.

Also, if you stop working on it then you may want to ask around to see if anyone is willing to take it over.

You shouldn't try so hard to dumb yourself down using 1337 sp3k; I honestly had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't some April fools joke.

Probably why there's so much hate mongering going on. Finished or not there's maybe 3-4 people associated with this community that could even begin to saunter through C/C++, let alone do something as simple as what you've done here; not sure why anyone would mention "unfinished" given the above fact.

Nice work. Keep going with it. :)