Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favor The Gods

Mikekan13

> In the screenshot, is the glowing block you placing a block?

Yes, I am selecting where the dirt block will go.

> That's amazing.

Lol. If you say so.

> Why is the block-placeholder glowing? It should be translucent or white (like in RCT2).

That is what I did originally but the block didn't stand out enough. Actually the translucent block is still there under the glow. This and pretty much everything will be different in the end though.

> The graphics are amazing on this game. The sprites need a lot of work tho.

The sprite is a placeholder and sort of a joke between me and a friend.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I noticed a huge frame rate drop when I use D3DFont for text rendering. I mean this thing is a piece of crap. Is there a faster way of doing this? Do I have to write my own text handling that draws vertices with a texture that has each letter of the alphabet on it? Seems like a pain in the arse. Is this how it is done in dx8?

I guess I just need to be smart with text. lol. Luckily my game design is very text light. Hard for me to gauge though since my comp is total shit. I am averaging about 45 fps with the menus and text that I have currently. Kinda worried about the chat though. I did a test that rendered 10 different text renders and it took me down to 10 fps. Really wanted to do chat bubbles too but if 10 people got on screen and typed it would lag my comp down. Guess I should just ask robin.

Confirmed by Robin: I have to make my own text rendering and text texture. Oh well I guess I have to spend some time making a custom font now.  :sad:

> If your good with graphical work, then you will be able to make a good looking font. xD

I hate making fonts :P They are so boring. Anyways Got the text system almost done. Just need to add some word wrapping–After I watch Doctor Who! Then I can get back to more important things!

![](http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/Mikekan13/fonty.png)

> It's gonna be a paid for game?

No, I had thought about doing that. Right now the plan is free to play. I will probably start to take donations in late beta so I can fund a server or two. Probably set up some special perks for donations: Unique looking character, unique looking blocks they can build, ect.  Then when the game is released I might add a shop where you could buy graphical enhancements to your character or items.
(I do not like games where you can pay to gain an advantage so anything bought or gained through donations will be purely graphical)

I have also thought about in game ad space for rent, but that would probably only be after the game has a following and is established. When I say in game ad space I mean there would be actual structures or billboards in the game that could have a logo or something on it. Maybe even an option to link out to their site. Anyways that is a long time away and only a thought I had a while back.

If for some reason I do go back to the pay method then it would probably be either a couple bucks a month or a one time fee for life.

![](http://www.freemmorpgmaker.com/files/imagehost/pics/5c09c183f7a8aac53544dd70ccfb0ef2.png)

Only thing is… in the circle part it kind of hard to tell that some of those blocks (especially the dirt one) is in the air...Is the anyway you can make it so the part behind it is noticablely different than the ones on stacks.....

> Only thing is… in the circle part it kind of hard to tell that some of those blocks (especially the dirt one) is in the air...Is the anyway you can make it so the part behind it is noticablely different than the ones on stacks.....

That will be the purpose of the shadow system and why my graphics lack shadows.