Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ER 1.9.0 Upcoming

Mohenjo Daro

@lokize
There are plenty of new features I'm adding, but I'm mostly focusing on converting things rather than adding new thing. I do add features while I'm converting, but that's about it.

For more info, you can look at the [Road Map](https://www.eclipseorigins.com/topic/86110/er-road-map) or the [Changelogs](https://www.eclipseorigins.com/topic/86340/er-1-9-0-changelog). I update both of those as I go.

I don't really have ETAs on when I'll add things, I just add them as I go.

• 1 month later...
It's been a bit since I posted in this thread, and I apologize for that. I've been pretty busy with life, but I've been working on ER as well.

My current project has been pathfinding. You may ask, "Why?", and the answer is simple: the pathfinding in ER doesn't function across maps. I could have changed it to work across maps, but that would have meant learning how the pathfinding worked, and how the code was written.

Instead, I opted to write the code from scratch. It took awhile (and a lot of dumb mistakes), but it is now working. It's currently not *in* the engine, but it is functioning in it's own project, and I wrote it with ER in mind, so it should be pretty simple and fast to add.

There are two reasons I worked on this instead of making ER actually start:
1) NPCs will directly affect map loading. They will pathfind across maps, and can require the server to load maps. I wanted the request portion of the code in place now rather than figure it out later, so this took precedence.

2) I had to setup how I want the map system to work, so I don't need to figure it out later on. This will make setting the server up a lot faster than trial and error like I had to do with the pathfinding.

With all this said, ER is still months out, and I don't know when it will be finished. I'm working on it when I'm able, but there's a **lot** of code I need to change.

• 2 months later...
I figured I should update ya'll since I haven't done so in a bit.

I'm currently working on a lot of things in ER. I've mostly been working on 2 things on the client, and have recently switched over to the client for a bit to work on another 2 things.

-----

Server:
1) Number of characters per account - I've been working on setting the server up to allow an input for the number of characters per account. This is a pretty requested feature on the site, and some engines have it while others don't, so I figured why not let users have both. I've been setting this up since I started 1.9, but I just now started to make it functional.
2) Unloading/Freeing Memory - ER currently is setup (like most, if not all, engines on the site) to load everything at runtime. This can cause issues with big games since 1.9 will no longer have max files. To avoid this, I setup the server to only load what is being used, and I just now got around to coding the unloading functions.
To handle the unloading, I made pools that item (not game items, but memory items) IDs are added to. When something is requested, it checks if the item is in the unload pool and removes it. Anything still in the unload pool after X minutes will be unloaded, and the queue will be moved up.
There are also several pools for different item types (resources, npcs, maps, etc.). The server will only unload one type pool (eg. npcs) at a time, then it will unload the next one during the next unload cycle (eg. resources). It's set up like this to reduce lag by making sure the server doesn't spend too much time unloading everything, but instead spends a smaller amount of time unloading a few items.

-----

Client:
1) Credits - Someone (I can't remember who) asked about changing the credits, and how they look, so I decided I wanted to change how the credits work, are saved, and are shown. I basically want to make the credits into a script system. I still haven't decided exactly how I want it, but I'm going to have the credits be saved to a file, and loaded. There will also be required credits (or the EO and ER teams) coded into the game, but I want these editable to an extent.
2) GUI - Again??? Yep, I'm redoing it again. I was very happy with how my first GUI system was setup in ER, and even happier with the next version in AE, but both lack in user control, and dev creation. I want users to be able to make their own GUIs/skins, so I plan to have the default GUI coded into the engine, load from a file, and any changes in the file will override the coded GUI.
I'm also setting up the GUI to actually have different subs for each widget. This will allow a save button in the bank to have an actual sub for it instead of one sub with a lot of if statements. This is to help readability, and make the creation process of the GUI more painless.

None of these things are done, but they're what I'm mainly working on at the moment. Keep in mind that I do jump around what I'm working on a lot, so it's more than likely that I'll change from these to other things before my next post.

-----

Just a reminder: If you want to keep up to dat on things I get stable/working, check out the [changelog](https://www.eclipseorigins.com/topic/86340/er-1-9-0-changelog)