Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What would your parents do if you were gay?

TPK

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@escfoe2:

> Honestly, being gay is a choice.  Thus meaning that its not "built in".  I believe gays should be disallowed.

For real?  Really?

Yes because guys and girls choose to want to be bullied about who they'll like in the future.
Yes because guys and girls want to have their rights to marriage taken away.
Yes because guys and girls want to be stigmatized and ostracized by entire groups.

Why in the world would someone choose something like this.  Not that I'm saying its a bad thing to be; that's the complete opposite.  I'm just saying I hate it when people say that it's a choice, why would someone choose this?

@Koovo:

> Helladen may have attempted to "troll" others who support gay rights.  If this is the case, shame on him.  If not, shame on you.  Some people are uncomfortable with gays.  Deal with it.  Stop demonizing the rest of the populace that disagrees with your viewpoint.
>
> I grow weary of being forced to accept gay marriage and associating issues. So if I don't like gay people, I should be burned at the stake?  I do not actively protest nor do I purposely murder same-sex couples. Leave me alone already.

While obviously it's great that you do not force your opinions on others and resist the urge to murder the gays how do you equate not liking people and taking away someones rights?

I have no problem with people.  Like actually.  Have your religion, have your polygamist views, have fourteen children.  I don't care.  I don't care if you hate all gay people.  I have a problem with the people that act on that "dislike" and deny people the right to marry, or to adopt a child.

No you shouldn't be burned at the stake but when did it become okay to take away someones rights?

tl;dr: You shouldn't have a say of who I am and I shouldn't have a say who you are unless it directly effects my immediate and physical well being.

Side Note: My mother would probably be upset about it but eventually support me and it would probably be similar with my father.  I don't think either would ever be completely gungho with the idea but they would want what is best for me.

@L:

> I must grow up in a strange community, because where I'm from we've never felt it odd to be gay :S
> Anyone who's gay is treated just as anyone else,
> I'm scared to leave the province if thats what it's like out there xD rofl

For the most part Canada is far greater for its treatment of Gay people then lets say a country like America.  I'm not saying America isn't make steps forward but in some areas the discrimination that is felt is much higher.  In my area being Gay is not a huge thing but still note worthy to some.

People would probably care at first (for better and for worse) and then the next big thing would happen and it would be forgotten.  I like that I live in an area like this.  However I could be wrong for other areas as all I know of for location is Ontario

Hmm, I live in Ontario too xD Only area I have knowledge of as well.
And I found neither hard to tell my parents.
Atheism was like breathing, for my household is all atheist, and my bisexuality wasn't hard either for the expected it the whole time xD
My family and my family are very open and fun :D
My dad would always say "Some day, I'm going to come in the door, and my son is going to have a dick in his mouth, and I'll say Well, I'm not surprised."

This isn't really that interesting of a topic considering how homosexuality is now an accepted way of life around most of the world.
A better way to liven up this thread would be "What would your parents do if you were sexually attracted to bears and would go so far as to fly to Canada to live out your fantasies with a man claiming to be named Pedro the Mexican Bear?"

@renzo:

> This isn't really that interesting of a topic considering how homosexuality is now an accepted way of life around most of the world.
> A better way to liven up this thread would be "What would your parents do if you were sexually attracted to bears and would go so far as to fly to Canada to live out your fantasies with a man claiming to be named Pedro the Mexican Bear?"

No all we have to do is ask your parents how they feel about your life :p

@L:

> Hmm, I live in Ontario too xD Only area I have knowledge of as well.
> And I found neither hard to tell my parents.
> Atheism was like breathing, for my household is all atheist, and my bisexuality wasn't hard either for the expected it the whole time xD
> My family and my family are very open and fun :D
> My dad would always say "Some day, I'm going to come in the door, and my son is going to have a stick in his mouth, and I'll say Well, I'm not surprised."

… And thats when they found out they lived next door to each other.
xD

@renzo:

> "What would your parents do if you were sexually attracted to bears and would go so far as to fly to Canada to live out your fantasies with a man claiming to be named Pedro the Mexican Bear?"

That's disturbingly specific, Renzo. You got something you want to tell us? ;D

@Hyperion: Praise the Almighty. I think we are on the same page. My initial and subsequent posts succeeded in failing.  Perhaps my blunder was including the bit about rights and whatnot.  Sometimes I find it difficult to express myself with the written word, especially with a delicate topic such as this. 

Is the following not unlike your view on the matter at hand?

Person A finds Person B (insert adjective here) because he/she is gay.  But Person A does not act upon his/her opinion and therefore should be protected from attack.  Basic human rights are not in question and are not demanded to be only for a select few.  Leave Person A alone.

I do not know.  Here is the link I mentioned in my earlier post. Sadly, I cannot remember the URL for another article linked by Neil Gaiman via Twitter a year ago.  So this journal entry will have to do.

[Neil Gaiman's Journal: Why defend freedom of icky speech?](http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2008/12/why-defend-freedom-of-icky-speech.html)

Unfortunately I am somewhat ashamed of my views.  I tend to be blunt about how I fell and I apologize.  I look at things as I see them until proven otherwise.  I still find that being attracted to the same sex is outlandish and obscured.  But that's just my opinion.  There are many others in this world along with proven fact…  Please excuse the way I was raised.  :icon_alabanza:

@[PIE:

> Rodriguez link=topic=65730.msg708171#msg708171 date=1288719551]
> Good Raptor Jesus … I thought this board had slightly intelligent people posting on it. Sexuality is a biological and chemically controlled series of genes and hormones in every Earth-bound species. There is a choice only in regards to if a person is open about their sexual preference. Science hath spoken, so shut the hell up and get back on topic.
>
> - Adulese

Doesn't matter how you were raised. If you understand **this** concept then it will make more sense to you. Gay people can't control who they're attracted to as much as you can't control what kind of girls you like.

No, actually, my opinion is strictly based off my childhood and surroundings…  :azn:  If I was raised to believe that being gay wasn't wrong, especially in religion but not limited to, I'd probably be more susceptible to the thought.  But anyway, we're veering wayyyy off cource..  XD

The amount of opinions being thrown around as fact in this thread is rather disturbing.

**Facts;**
* You do not _choose_ to be homosexual. It's in your programming. It's a perfectly normal and healthy variation in sexual orientation.* Homosexuality is not rare. According to reports, there are over 3.6**million** homosexuals in Britain. That's simply the amount of people who were willing to tell the truth.* Homosexuals are no more promiscuous than heterosexuals. In fact, according to studies, we're slightly less likely to sleep around.* Homosexuals do _not_ consider themselves a member of the opposite sex. We're all very happy with our gender, thank you very much.* Only a small percentage of homosexuals have stereotypical mannerisms.* It is impossible to force someone to switch their sexuality, be it from homosexual to heterosexual or heterosexual to homosexual.
And last of all, homosexuality is **natural.** There are reports of homosexuality going back to the earliest of human societies. Anthropologists report that homosexuals have been a part of every culture. One study of non-western cultures, reported that 64% of the respondents considered homosexuality as "normal and socially acceptable". It's also a well-known fact that same sex behaviour is perfectly natural between animals of all species.

inb4 religion.

Hmmm…  What if suddenly, the whole population of this planet changed to homosexuality and we didn't have the technology to donate sperm?  We would die off and you can't deny that.  Can't you see?  Being gay can be okay as long as it doesn't consist of "everyone", but it was meant to be a certain way!  I really don't want to argue anymore.  :sad:

@escfoe2:

> I really don't want to argue anymore.

Then stop making posts that make you look like an idiot.

If it's your view that homosexuality is wrong, then that's fine. I'll fight to defend your right to create your own opinions about a subject. That's how the law works. You can't pick and choose what you defend to match your own opinions about a subject.

I do think you're a mindless sheep for simply emulating the views of your parents and your religion rather than generating your own, but if you find life easier by doing that, so be it.

I'm impressed so many people are accepting of it :D
Sucks though, I always liked Australia, guess I'm not going to be going there anymore D:

Also, another point.
If you think about it, homosexuality is like another way for nature to control population growth.
In fact, as humans, we NEED more homosexuals.
Our numbers are growing to fast -.-
If we have a few more people who live in a way the stops them from reproducing, then we can stunt our number growth a bit more.
Along with how they can give orphans home through adoption, though not in the America since marriage is technically illegal in the USA.

Also, I refer to them as "they", because I'm not homosexual but bisexual, so I can't speak for homosexuality fully.
The most harassment I get is being told to "pick one".
It bothers me, but I can manage.