Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just fiddling with the Engine,

Rob Janes

Rp-ing is loads of fun. My first experience was on Ultima Online some time ago. I had a couple buddies from high school that also played in RP, so we had a good time jokin around with it. I wish Rp'ing was more popular in online games personally.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I've tried to base almost every aspect of my game off lore and make RP a big part of it, but its hard, especially with eclipse games, i.e. emotes, you need to add extra frames, etc, otherwise it would just be plain and bland; its annoying.

Whilest I have a budget set aside for my project(s) there seems to be a lot of good idle talent around here looking to just get involved with a solid project (see all the recent progress to my custom 'mod').  So I figure, I'll put this out there and see if I get any feedback for any volunteers who want to help with the progress of my project.  Looking for talented pixel artists (quite a few, more hands make light work), (environment, sprites, items and objects), sound engineers (sound effects, music), and a web developer for a website!  If this is something you are talented at, and want to help out! Send me a PM with what you can do!  (PS: Will trade development skills on your own projects for Art and Sound)

I build a Quest Editor as a Seperate tool rather, however, there is also a Client-Side version for Admins to edit quests.  (It's the same form just included into the Client itself).  Having it as a seperate tool allows me to distribute it to writers / quest designers now, without them needing to log into the client to work on quests.  Simplicity's sake.

we need a smiley of "jesus praising samu" XD this is awesome! I hope you do go somewhere with your project and make some outstanding game! I'm tired of the ones out there already.

I like the format you used to create your quest editor. Interesting choice of layout.

You should have a drop-down combo box from the NPC name and it would list all 1~etc NPCs. Then, in the desc, you'd have **[NAME]** in the text to separate the name of the chosen npc with the rest of the dialog. When the script is read, you could use InStr(1, txtDialog.Caption, "[", vbBinaryCompare) to find the beginning, InStr(1, txtDialog.Caption, "]", vbBinaryCompare) to find the end, count up the difference and interchange the NPC's name in there by re-saving it.

Indeed, can even do simple things like force whoever is writing the quest to use $NPCNAME and rather than doing inStr, just simply do

dim tmpStr as String
tmpStr = Replace$(txtProgress.text,"$NPCNAME",txtNPCName.text)

I may certainly add that feature. :)

I don't want it to use a Combo Box of all the available NPCs as this would require the User to create the NPC first, before creating the Quest, and I'm still working on an updated NPC DataType with some new features, but I want people to start working on quest(s). :)

I cracked and rewrote (almost) all the methods for reading and writing data to storage to use GetVar and WriteVar, while a bit (we're talking only a few miliseconds) slower, this allows earlier versions of the game to be released, and then future changes not requiring a 'wipe' of data.

I got a 'Message Board' system added to my "mod" today, that's about where I'll call it for todays progress.

Today's progress
+Added WASD movement (optional through settings) and also posted Tutorial
+Got Mouse Movement working in all 8 Directions now, rather than just 4\. (Diagonal Movement)
+Rewrote LoadPlayer, SavePlayer, LoadNPC, SaveNPC to use GetVar and WriteVar

Screenshot Time!

I couldn't wait, and decided to build this tonight.

It wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, it involed adding 2 new long varibales to PlayerRec for Head/Hair.  Adding the GetPlayerHair/SetPlayerHair, GetPlayerHead/SetPlayerHead.  Also updated the PlayerData packet to include the Head/Hair.

Client Side I added DDS_Head() / DDSD_Head() and DDS_Hair () and DDSD_Hair () along with the appropriate reset timers, and checks to ensure there are indeed Heads/Hairs in the Head/Hair directories.  Then during the BltPlayer sub, it calls BltHair and BltHead.

It worked beautifully, I'll show screenshots once I get a character creation system set up to choose various heads/hairs/bodies

Samu Games - Eclipse Online Custom Mod
Release Date ETA: February 7th

Features
+ Who's Online / Instant Messaging
+ Weather (Snow/Rain)
+ Guild System (No Ranking, Only the Guild Leader can Recruit/Dismiss) Will add Ranks for Future Builds
+ Quest System (Only Kill Quests) Will Add additional Quest Options in Future Builds
+ Modified Player Sprite System (Head / Hair / Body) system
+ In-Game Message Board
+ In-Game GM/Admin Petition Tool
+ Silencing / Muting System
+ Spell Scaling according to Level
+ 8 Directional Movement (Diagonal)
+ Complete Mouse Movement (All 8 Directions)
+ Rewritten LoadPlayer/SavePlayer subs to use GetVar/WriteVar - A tad Slower but does not require constant wipes during development, can easily be reverted to old method once development has been completed.

Note: This is an ETA, I will try to have it done by Monday but no promises.  I'll try to comment my changes as much as possible so people can understand what I've done however, this is not intended for someone with very little VB experience, and I have no intentions of providing any 'support' for basic issues.

@SamuGames:

> I have no intentions of providing any 'support' for basic issues.

Hah! That's still not going to stop people from asking =p Looks good Samu! Doing the community a solid!

If I want to keep adding extra variables onto a player account, I can do it without the necessity of wiping accounts . EO by default requires you to wipe accounts as it Save the Player Array according to the Type that was defined when the player account was created, and then tries to Load the player data according to the current .bin file which will utlimately either result in a Subscript Error or see the wrong data for each variable.  Using WriteVar/GetVar is a tad slower, but avoids this method.  It's just 'programmer' preference.  They're stored as .dat files but can be edited the same method an INI file could.