Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planning for your game

Conra

@sunku:

> What is this topic even about???

well actually without sarcasm the thread is about planning everything you will need for your game. Proper planning will make the production so much faster because you know exactly what you want and where you want it.

Conra, as Robin said on the first page, Planning for a personal game project is useless. To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a solid commercial game made with an eclipse engine so I wouldn't bother wasting my breathe.

The best people can really do if they can't stay organized to to make a list of their ideas or to write things down in steps. It's the process that's important not the act of writing every little thing down.

A game design document is not necessarily a large document. It just has to serve it's purposes. The reason why people here think it is a waste of time is because, the projects which are started here are all based off the same engine. Those who have worked with any eclipse or mirage engine would already know the basic mechanics of the game. Game design documents to me also serves a purpose in getting your games overall idea down, like the unique selling points, game overviews, team information, all of this which is normally already done in the game's official topic in the projects board. So in a way, that bit of the GDD is already done whether or not they know it themselves. I personally find using a word document extremely boring, but it's required so far for all my diploma modules. Instead for collaboratives projects, use a SVN, blog, wiki or forum, where it can be easily accessed by all team members an sorted into it's proper categories, like one section for programming and one for art.

Documentation is also more important when you plan to make your game big, or sell it to a company. The buyers will need this documentation.

That's how I feel about it. Documentation is only needed if the team is clueless about the project or your paying a programmer for example to code the engine for you. They need an idea of how it should be like and explaining things when they need it is a complete waste of time.

• 10 months later...
Hey, DJSquared did you upload these files any where elseā€¦because the site you have uploaded is under going Federal offenses and i cant download files so if you can email me the link to another download place or just email me the files. That would be most appreciated.

Feral-Doom